Looking for a 24-port gigabit router/gateway

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Simple example: I use old Aironet 1100s for 2.4 WiFi. These are dirt cheap on eBay, so I have at least one preconfigured backup on hand. The 2.4 devices started acting up, so I popped out the existing Aironet and slotted in the backup. 5 minutes and done. Life went on, and I could take my time to troubleshoot the old WAP later.

This. I have a few backup 8-port gig-e switches, and at least one backup router. I also have duplicates of both my FIOS router, and DSL modem/router.

Backups are good, keeps downtime at a minimum.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
You guys were right. I got the Motorola cable modem router and it started crapping out a week or so ago. I ended up buying a separate modem and router this time. The wireless router on that thing sucked really bad. Never again.

azazel1024

Jan 6, 2014
All SOHO switches are cheap, as in terrible. That's why they're so cheap.

You don't really expect for a $200 24-port switch to be as fast or as reliable as a $3000 24-port switch, based solely on the fact that it's unmanaged, do you?

You get what you pay for.

That said, a Cisco 2911 and a SM-ES3G-24-P will get you a great router/firewall/switch. You're not going to like the price, though.

Also, most fixed-configuration L3 switches (such as a 3750 or an EX2200) do not support NAT and thus are not useful in this instance.

Hmmm, funny, not my experience.

As fast as a $3000 24-port switch, ABSOLUTELY! Why wouldn't it be? If the switching fabric can handle full port speed at full duplex for all ports, it'll be EXACTLY as fast as a $3000 24-port switch and if matters, I've tested dozens of switches (both cheap dumb switches, good semi-managed L2 switches, fully managed L2 switches and L3 switches, both ones I've owned, borrowed as well as worked with) and I've never noticed a difference in networking performance at the same packet size other than standard test variation between tests (IE less than a 1% difference from test to test and across switches). There are of course differences in features, such as supporting jumbo frames, VLANs, etc. I have also seen issues such as claiming jumbo frame support, but not actually working, etc. Feature bugs (but I've seen them in $2,000 L3 switches and in $20 dumb switches).

As relaible, hmmm, maybe not. I've yet to have a switch die or cause real problems (other than one of my semi-managed L2s, which hiccuped when I had a power surge that fried my ONT box, that required a factory reset on the switch and its been working fine since). Granted I HAVE seen problem switch, I've just never owned one. I am probably on switch number....30? At this point over the years.

I can't think of a time I've bought "an expensive" switch. Mostly dumb or semi-managed L2 switches (back in the day, 10Mbps, then 10/100 and now gigabit switches).