Looking for 23/24'' TN/IPS display for office work, Internet and movies

emek777

Jun 16, 2012
I'm planning to buy a 24'' monitor. I'll mainly use the display to work with text, internet and for movies. Much less for games (so far I have too weak hardware, although this may change). Is important for me that the monitor had a D-Sub (only such I have in my notebook) and DVI. I considered BENQ LED GL2450HM , Philips 247E3LPHSU and Acer G245HABID.
However I met with an advice that it is better to look around for a IPS panel. I drew attention on the: 23'' LG IPS235V-BN, Iiyama Prolite XB2374HDS and DELL U2312HM. I noticed that these three gather the most positive reviews, but which to choose? And whether it's worth buying one inch smaller display but with IPS panel or maybe 24'' TN?

Moving thread from Digital and Video Cameras to Video Cards and Graphics where Displays are discussed.

Administrator Idontcare

Last edited by a moderator:

angry hampster

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2007
www.lexaphoto.com
I actually really like my Samsung BW-series 24" TN panel. Calibrated via Spyder3, it looks outstanding and they are relatively cheap compared to an IPS.

I would recommend just getting a VGA->DVI adapter for your laptop as this will broaden your selection and only costs ~$7-8.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
It would help to move this to the best forum - Peripherals or General Hardware. It has nothing to do with cameras. I have requested a move.

Last edited:

birthdaymonkey

Golden Member
Oct 4, 2010
OP, go for the 23" IPS if you're looking to spend $200 or less. I've yet to hear of someone who went IPS regret it and want to go back to washed out TN. The only time I wouldn't suggest an IPS is if you're playing a lot of FPS games--in which case you should probably be considering 120Hz.

Any of the options you mentioned would be good--they all probably use the same panel.

bdunosk

Sep 26, 2000
I got a u2412m and am really impressed... my Asus TN panel wasn't bad, I doubted what people said about IPS on this forum, but it really is that much better. I don't notice any gaming lag / ghosting, but then I only play D3 / WoW so I can't comment for FPS's.

cantholdanymore

Mar 20, 2011
Probably a little late but:
TN panels not necessary suck only cheap ones. I have a 7 years old Samsung 173P sitting next to my asus proart IPS and it compares very well. Color are off since I can't adjusted it (thanks to SS for making this monitor only adjustable my proprietary software that doesn't work any more) but contrast and detail seems fine.