Looking at my car's value, rare and possibly desirable config, question on value..

Lotheron

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2002
I have a 2007 Mazda 6s v6 5 speed with 66K miles. It was rare when I bought it, and it's even more rarer now.

There is ONE 2006-2008 mazda6s 5MT for sale within 500 miles of me on autotrader.

So my question is, do you think this would affect the value of car that is not reflected in your average price guide, as in, possibly higher value. Would it be even more worth it to sell it private party when I'm finally ready to upgrade rather than trade it in. Note: I know it's usually more lucrative to sell private party, but that opens other doors that I really just don't like dealing with, in other words, people.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
It would make it easier to sell to that particular stripe of person who's looking for that rare setup, but harder to sell to the general slob imho. Most of the people with the inclination to look for a V6 and a manual as a package want something like a G35 or 3-series with RWD to complete the situation.

Btw, I think that should be "even more rare", even though "even more rarer" sounds awesomer :D

Lotheron

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2002
It's a Mazda 6.

There's a car club/following for everything.

Example A.

It would make it easier to sell to that particular stripe of person who's looking for that rare setup, but harder to sell to the general slob imho. Most of the people with the inclination to look for a V6 and a manual as a package want something like a G35 or 3-series with RWD to complete the situation.

Btw, I think that should be "even more rare", even though "even more rarer" sounds awesomer :D

You're probably right, I'm trying to gauge if it's worth another few $K to sell it to an enthusiast looking for something like this.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Your 6 year-old, plain car is not special and worth a goldmine. Sorry :p

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
If someone wanted a Mazda 6 with a manual transmission and plenty of power in roughly that year range... they'd look for a Mazdaspeed 6.

nismotigerwvu

Golden Member
May 13, 2004
Yeah, as mentioned rare configurations really only matter much on models that were desirable rare to begin with and the configuration was high/top end. A good example would be a Porsche 968 with a rare color color to go with the turbo model (I want to say they did something funky like only building 1 red one in one year and one black one year or something along those lines).

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
The only thing going to increase that car's value is the condition.
I have owned some cars that are sorta like yours, 6 speed Maxima with HLSD, and it doesn't increase the value even though they are considerably harder to find. It's all about condition, for a car like yours.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
I might be, but I'm also right. And used ones are around 1/2 what they cost new.
They should be being that they're at least 5-6 years old now. Besides, the V6 won't suffer from heat soak and probably doesn't require premium AND likely gets better mileage;)

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
I own a Mazda6 wagon. You are so lucky my wife got her way and we bought the automatic because if we bought the manual like I wanted, I would have snickered at you common little Mazda6 sedan.

Mazda6 wagon with manual is uber rarer rare.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
All family sedans with manual transmissions are rare but that doesn't mean they are in high demand (hence premium pricing).

While that generation Mazda6 is a fine car and the 3.0 V6\5M combo is nice driver, the only place where it may command a premium is on Mazda forum populated with kids with big dreams and empty pockets.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
I thought manual mazda6s are relatively common? There are 4 v6s that just ended on ebay motors. Nowhere near as rare as say the DI CTS with a manual or manual Cayenne.

Last edited:

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
I had a 2003 Mazda6S V6 5MT sedan in yellow, and loved it. Was a great car until it started rusting on me and then I sold it. It wasn't easy to find a MT, but it wasn't impossible either. The color and trim made it pretty desireable, and to me the 5MT was a must. Just looked on Autotrader and there are 4 within 25 miles of me from that gen for sale with a MT/V6. Not a ton, but I wouldn't say 'rare'. Great car though, drove great for the $$$ (bought it used with about 30k miles).

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Yeah, as mentioned rare configurations really only matter much on models that were desirable rare to begin with and the configuration was high/top end. A good example would be a Porsche 968 with a rare color color to go with the turbo model (I want to say they did something funky like only building 1 red one in one year and one black one year or something along those lines).

At the rarity level of the 968 Turbo S, color doesn't really matter anymore. They only made 16 turbo models total (not counting the 4 Turbo RS models, 1 each in red, blue, yellow, and black). There was no non-S 968 turbo models, so only a grand total of 20 968s (16 Turbo S cars and the 4 Turbo RS models) came from the factory with turbos. None were offered for sale in the US.

ZV

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
I love seeing this kind of stuff. "ZOMG RARE 1OF1 WITH PUKE PINK PAINT, TURD INTERIOR AND TBE CUPHOLDER OPTION!!!1! LQQK"

There is a reason its "rare": cuz it's ugly as shit and nobody ordered it or desired it that way. Not then. Not now.

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
Value you say?

Go to CarMax or try private sale (if you want to bother with hassles associated with selling a car)

Stick shift will work AGAINST you in this case, but you might get lucky. I suggest you post it on Mazda 6 forums and see if you can get a enthusiast to bite. But don't expect much over what others go for with similar mileage/year.

Good luck