looking at getting some good Rum

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Xavier434
Originally posted by: moshquerade
Originally posted by: Iron Woode
I have been checking out different types of rum and I am undecided between the following:

Appleton Estate Extra

El Dorado Special Reserve 12 year

Mount Gay Extra Old

I might eventually try Old Monk 7 year Blended.

what would you guys choose?

what's wrong with Captain Morgans? :p

Captain Morgans is kind of like eating at Olive Garden for 20 years and then going to Italy. Some people come home from Italy thinking Olive Garden is better Italian food but they really are just not used to what truly good Italian food tastes like. Nothing against Olive Garden btw. I love them too.

Captain Morgan is a good and cost effective mixing rum.

I'd never (ever) mix Mount Gay Extra Old, Appleton, or my favorite Ron Zacapa Centenario.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: K1052

I'd never (ever) mix Mount Gay Extra Old, Appleton, or my favorite Ron Zacapa Centenario.

It's cheap and I do like it but you can buy better for cheaper. Appleton is a fine example. Captain is a bit more expensive because of the brand name.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

It's cheap and I do like it but you can buy better for cheaper. Appleton is a fine example. Captain is a bit more expensive because of the brand name.

A 1/5th of Captain can usually be had for about $8-12 depending where you are. That's pretty cheap. Also, all bars are guaranteed to have it no matter where you are.

As thirdeye mentioned, Sailor Jerry's is also good. I've actually switched from CM to that for mixed at home.

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
Mount Gay is really good. Have you tried their Sugar Cane Brandy?

It isn't really a brandy, it's rum. It was aged in old brandy barrels to impart a bandy feel to the rum. It is not sweet or spiced, in case you think it might be like Captain Morgan's.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
thanks for all the replies.

I chose those 3 because I wanted something more upscale. I have limited choices here.

keep the opinions coming guys!

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

A 1/5th of Captain can usually be had for about $8-12 depending where you are. That's pretty cheap. Also, all bars are guaranteed to have it no matter where you are.

As thirdeye mentioned, Sailor Jerry's is also good. I've actually switched from CM to that for mixed at home.

I've yet to go to a full bar which didn't have Appleton, but I am sure they exist.

Hannover

Jan 25, 2005
Appleton Estate is a very nice rum for the price.
I brought back several bottles from Jamaica and it was a sad day when I finished the last one.

If you're really brave, go for J. Wray & Nephew white overproof : )

It's one of the most evil thing I've ever had. I was sitting at a beach bar and ordered a 'strong' rum & coke. He poured me a double overproof which I followed up with a second. When it came time to get up and head to the pisser, my legs didn't work any more and I ended up catching myself on the bar. Brutal stuff. It's very overpowering and difficult to drink unless you add some type of citrus.

chin311

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
haha i used to get Wray & Nephew all the time, double shots, we did about 5 - 6 a piece and we were good ;)

nothing like waking up with your head on the kitchen table 5 hours later and being like uhHH WTF?!

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Another vote for Appleton. Not to sound like an echo but I bought a couple bottles in Jamaica and wish I had bought more. Jamaican rum is definitely different than say Captain but I think it's pretty good.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

LOL not in NY, its about 2x that
fing taxes

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Anubis

fing taxes

Seriously...I [edit] don't [/edit] think it's that cheap anywhere.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: SoulAssassin

fing taxes

Seriously...I think think it's that cheap anywhere.

yes im serious depends on where you get it but yea
last bottle of Prvite stock i got cost me 28$ for the smaller size, a Handle of any name brand will cost you about 50$

i normally buy in bulk in NH when i go see family because there is no tax and the same 50$ handle is under 30

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I used to be able to get good prices on Captains in California at either Longs or Rite Aid sales. Now that I live in NC I have to pay the stupid expensive ABC store prices, which suck.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Update:

I got a 750 ml bottle of Appleton Estate Extra, the last bottle at that store.

Paid $30.00 CDN for it. Looks nice. I can hardly wait till later tonight to try it out.

:D

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
I have a bottle of Appleton 250th Anniversary, thats pretty good for sipping, although I'm a scotch person so I don't really drink much rum.

indamixx99

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2006
Originally posted by: purbeast0
My favorite is Flor De Cana. It's nicaraguan and that stuff is SMOOTH.

I mainl had it while over there and it's hard to find over here arond whre I live. I typically get captain morgan though, that's been my drink for years.

:thumbsup: Good stuff, man.
If you've got a Bev-Mo nearby, you can pick it up from there. That's where I got my last bottle from, forgot the cost though. Also, you might be able to find it at some spanish grocery stores.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Wait for the next Christmas party. Pick up the cake and wring it out into a shot glass. Cake filtered rum is the best.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: SoulAssassin

fing taxes

Seriously...I think think it's that cheap anywhere.

yes im serious depends on where you get it but yea
last bottle of Prvite stock i got cost me 28$ for the smaller size, a Handle of any name brand will cost you about 50$

i normally buy in bulk in NH when i go see family because there is no tax and the same 50$ handle is under 30

I do believe K10 is referring to standard ol Captain, not Private Stock....who mixes Private Stock? regular Captain is cheap--and it should be. Private stock hovers around $30 anywhere you go. but far better rums can be had at or close enough to that price.