Looking around at MBA programs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
So I'm shopping around various MBA programs to see which one fits for me. I have a lot of universities and colleges in my area. Some things are easy to compare, like cost, when classes are offered, financial aid, etc. The one thing that I don't know how to compare is accreditation. Are there certain associations that a good MBA program should be accredited by? I don't want my degree to not be worth much because it isn't accredited properly. Has anyone been in this situation? Any suggestions?

Delita

Jan 12, 2006
If you are not sure if the school is accredited or not, then don't pick that one.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Rankings

As far as accreditation goes you have two types, institution and program. Your institution is accredited by your regional accreditation board. Each region of the US has one. Program accreditation differs from program to program. You will need to discover the major business accreditation board. It might be different for graduate school.

For example, if you were attending a school in The South, you would need to make sure that the institution is accredited by SACS. This will ensure people that you did not simply buy your degree from a diploma mill.

If you were majoring in computer science at a regionally accredited institution , you would need to make sure it is accredited by ABET.

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Delita
If you are not sure if the school is accredited or not, then don't pick that one.

It would be nice if it were that simple. All of the schools are accredited, but it seems like there are a ton of organizations and associations that provide accreditation. I'm trying to figure out which are the important ones.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
OP, here you go = http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html

You want more? http://www.google.com/search?q...eid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGIH_en

http://www.mbamap.com/mba-select/mba-accreditation

I believe as long as your school is accredited by one of these, then you are in good shape. My MBA school is accredited by Southern Assc. of Colleges and Schools.

Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools (MSA)
New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC-CIHE)
North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA-HLC)
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS)
Western Association of Schools and Colleges

You are welcome..and good luck.

<<----MBA grad

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Rankings

As far as accreditation goes you have two types, institution and program. Your institution is accredited by your regional accreditation board. Each region of the US has one. Program accreditation differs from program to program. You will need to discover the major business accreditation board. It might be different for graduate school.

For example, if you were attending a school in The South, you would need to make sure that the institution is accredited by SACS. This will ensure people that you did not simply buy your degree from a diploma mill.

If you were majoring in computer science at a regionally accredited institution , you would need to make sure it is accredited by ABET.

Depending on your field and situation, past #20 on the US News rankings is a waste of time and money.

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Svnla
OP, here you go = http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html

You want more? http://www.google.com/search?q...eid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGIH_en

http://www.mbamap.com/mba-select/mba-accreditation

I believe as long as your school is accredited by one of these, then you are in good shape. My MBA school is accredited by Southern Assc. of Colleges and Schools.

Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools (MSA)
New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC-CIHE)
North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA-HLC)
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS)
Western Association of Schools and Colleges

You are welcome..and good luck.

<<----MBA grad

Thank you! Good stuff.

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
Originally posted by: JS80
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Rankings

Depending on your field and situation, past #20 on the US News rankings is a waste of time and money.

Hah! Maybe for .001% of the population. I can assure you that I'm not in that minuscule group.

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
I just found this thread and thought I would give my two cents since I just got through going this myself hunting down a MBA program and will start this August.

First off I would look at Business Week for B-School rankings. I think they tend to be the more often quoted source for rankings. There are so many publications that rank schools you need to keep some of those rankings in perspective.

I got accepted into what I would call a solid second tier school - the first tier being the Ivy League schools and Ivy League-like schools (e.g. Stanford, NYU, Texas, Michigan, MIT, Northwestern, CMU, etc.). As such I think you want to aim for the best school you possibly can.

The problem with many MBA programs, in my humble opinion, is that so many schools have MBA programs there are a plethora of really crappy programs out there. As such I think it is in your self-interest to gun for a program that has a reputation that may assist you post-graduation. With that being said, many schools have a regional reputation but that may not necessarily translate to a positive national or international reputation.

If you are looking at a reputable program I wouldn't be too concerned about their accreditation. Sure, look into it, but if it is a quality program I can not see how they would not be accredited.

I believe every program's webpage I looked at had financial aid info and cost of tuition. Furthermore they will have info regarding part-time and/or full-time programs.

If you check out the Business Week site they have summary information for just about every MBA program out there - it can be a very useful information.

Status
Not open for further replies.