Lookie what I found in the Dumpster

ComputerWizKid

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2004
I just found a kenwood KA-2000 in the dumpster at my apartment and I rescued it just before the rain and I have to say at only 13WPC (I think I am not totally sure) it sounds better than my "New" Onkyo receiver (For Stereo Music that is since it is not a Surround receiver). The only thing that was wrong with it was it was missing the speaker terminal block there was just two wires sticking out of the back (Blue and a yellow and I figured out that the Chassis was the audio ground

I will be set now only if I could find a proper speaker block as the one I got from R$ fits but is not long enough to fully screw down to both screws. I got it working for now just need to clean the dials because I get crackling when I move then and the switches are doing the same thing.

Also I hope I rewired the speaker plate right please tell me if I am wrong

Yellow = right
Blue = Left
I used a short piece of 18 AWG jumper wire to jump the two Negative terminals to a point on the chassis (I just crimped a ring terminal to the wire and then when I put the cover on. (I put it through that screw on the inside of the chassis)

Oh and if anyone has any old audio equipment be very and I emphasize VERY careful when messing around the inside
epically while plugged in to a live outlet (No Polarized plug) and I think there is a way the chassis could become
electrically hot Don't know how though but I do remember that old TV's had what was called a hot chassis I don't know if Vintage amps are the same way

Two questions OK Four
1. why do the two channels share the same audio ground?

2. How do I fix the crackling/popping when I turn the volume/Bass/Treble knobs

3. How to I fix the stereo/Mono Switch I can tap the switch and I hear crackling and one side gets louder (Right now I have it set to stereo and I have it so it is working OK for now but if I move it at all it will do that again)

4. I am actually using it right now with a pair of Insignia Speakers from Best Buy (To replace my crappy Logitech Z640's with a blown sub) and even with the cheap speakers it sound awesome (To me as I am not an Audiophile) I was just wondering why the power cord is so thin (SPT-1 20AWG and it about 10 FT Long on top of being thin) it only draws about 60 - 120 Watts and has a 1A fuse protecting it. I only say 120 Watts because that is the maximum allowed only if you plug something into the 60 Watt switched outlet (Which is also non polarized so nothing new will fit into it) I know it has a fuse protecting it

I always thought the Minimum wire gauge was 18AWG so the OCPD (Over Current Protection Device) would be able to trip a breaker or blow a fuse with out making the wire THE fuse and possibly causing a fire (Provided back in the day there was not all greenies in the fuse box or worse a penny behind the fuse) I know I am safe but I was just wondering why it was done that way (I Live in a newer APT Complex with breakers and GFCI/AFCI Protection so I am not worried about using this)

Thanks for reading my post and thanks in advance for any reply's

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
Answer to questions 1-4 : it's old. :)
More specifically, the pots and switches are most likely corroded/oxidized, causing the crackling and bad connections. You can use a spray made to clean the contacts and pots to get rid of it, but it may be a lost cause depending on the amount of corrosion/oxidation.
At 15wpc, it will power speakers that are reasonably efficient. For an application such as yours it should be fine as the Insignias are most likely small and efficient. If you aren't looking for absolute loudness, it will suffice.
The power wire answer is the same as the others, it was a different time then.
The ground issue is simple, most audio equipment is common ground. :)

sivart

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2000
Put a kill-a-watt on it...I want to see if it sucks more power than a new refrigerator :)

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
Originally posted by: sivart
Put a kill-a-watt on it...I want to see if it sucks more power than a new refrigerator :)

That's the same thing I was wondering about actually. It'd be interesting to see how much juice something like that does use.

ComputerWizKid

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2004
It uses less power than a 75 Watt Light Bulb (According to my UPS with only the AMP Plugged into the battery outlet) 50 Watts just on no music 55 Watts with light music 62 Watts with an intense Bass track (that almost blew my cheap Insignia Speakers)
I don't know anything about speaker so I don't know how efficient they are but here is the Best Buy Site with the Specs
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ol...oduct&id=1118843685964

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Answer to #2 is probably dust in the mechanical contacts of the volume knob, etc. Actually this is (or was) a pretty common problem back when volume controls, etc. where mechanical.

The solution is pretty simple-Radio Shack sells a spray can of something called Tuner Cleaner that has worked wonders for me in the past.

Congrats on a great find. I suspect a lot of good two channel amplification equipment is being thrown away these days, or goes at tag sales for a song. And I really doubt that thing is an energy hog, not by a long stretch. 13 WPC is pretty light weight though, you are going to need highly efficient speakers.

Edit: Possibly the same solution for the stereo/mono switch, but if you have it working OK in stereo I'd live with it that way. Pretty useless "feature."