Look how they massacred my boy: the 2024 Mustang

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The Front seems wrong. Might be because of the less aggressive look. Looks alright, just not very Mustangy, at least in comparison to more recent designs.

Reactions: Pohemi

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Cars have been looking increasingly samey for decades. I thought it was an American thing at first (when I visited the US in 2001, the sameyness was quite disturbing compared to the diversity I was used to), but it's reached the UK too. I think part of the reason is that the desire for increased crash safety has restricted the design aesthetics down to things that crumple safely.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Cars have been looking increasingly samey for decades. I thought it was an American thing at first (when I visited the US in 2001, the sameyness was quite disturbing compared to the diversity I was used to), but it's reached the UK too. I think part of the reason is that the desire for increased crash safety has restricted the design aesthetics down to things that crumple safely.

Windtunnel design & safety requirements:

1663241712607.png

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I'm good with the overall design, even if it's a bit fussy in points.

However, this also feels like a swan song for the gas-powered Mustang. There are already estimates that Ford will sell less than half of the Mustangs than it did six years ago, and that Mach-E sales will actually overtake the regular 'stang by 2027. If so, it's no wonder Ford was comfortable giving the Mach-E a Mustang badge — it might be the vehicle people most commonly associate with that name within a few years. Better to keep the branding warm with a crossover (albeit a fast crossover) than wait until there's a Mustang EV in coupe form.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Technically the Mach-e isn't a crossover based on ground clearance and approach/departure/breakover angles. This actually hurts Ford in terms of the new EV incentives. But, I'm glad it isn't jacked up for no reason.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Could be worse, look how they massacred my boy

db6a2737.jpg

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Could be worse, look how they massacred my boy

db6a2737.jpg

BMW design went into the crapper 20 years ago when Chris Bangle took over design.
I was a BMW aficionado for decades, starting with my first one, a 1972 2002 Tii. (really should have kept that ugly little orange car)
My last one was a 1990 735i E32. Wonderful car to drive, PITA to work on, but still more or less manageable for me.

Reactions: Thump553

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
There are a couple of aftermarket grills that help a bit on the BMW. For the mustang, I'm not feeling the front bumper. Would have to see what they do with it on the upper tier models though.

0139725315f5f3fcc028d711bc6c72cf.jpeg

Reactions: Kaido

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
BMW design went into the crapper 20 years ago when Chris Bangle took over design.

100% agreed.

I was a BMW aficionado for decades, starting with my first one, a 1972 2002 Tii. (really should have kept that ugly little orange car)
My last one was a 1990 735i E32. Wonderful car to drive, PITA to work on, but still more or less manageable for me.

Great choices .. that E32 is pure class. Pics?

I have E39 and E46 M cars that I plan to keep and drive for as long as I can buy gasoline. No interest in any of their newer offerings. Recently I’ve been casually looking for a half decent E30 but they’re either complete POS at this point or super expensive. Maybe I’ll find a recession special within the next few years although classic cars have not taken much of a hit so far.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

BMW in the past couple of decades has had a very hot-and-cold approach to design. It recovered from the Bangle era, but the most recent look... it's as if the company decided it was more important to be polarizing than play it safe.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I like the headlights from a standalone POV, but integrated into the new design, it makes it kinda look like a Charger: ...
I thought the exact same thing. Looks like a generic American “new muscle” car rather than its own unique brand.
Both QFT, precisely what I was going to say. The pic in the OP reminded me of a Charger/Challenger, or at least the front end does. The slope of the rear window and frame, and the taillights speak more to the styling of past Mustangs ofc, but the rest of it looks like a generic Dodge redesign more than Ford imo.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
There are a couple of aftermarket grills that help a bit on the BMW. For the mustang, I'm not feeling the front bumper. Would have to see what they do with it on the upper tier models though.

I don’t think that made it better. At all. Of course, given its starting point, whatcha gonna do?

Reactions: Pohemi

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

I don't agree this is better. Having said that, everyone is resigned to huge grilles by now. If you truly hate them, then you simply won't consider most Bimmers (the 3 Series is still not too bad), or other brand's large grille designs.

BMW in the past couple of decades has had a very hot-and-cold approach to design. It recovered from the Bangle era, but the most recent look... it's as if the company decided it was more important to be polarizing than play it safe.
I kind of disagree about Bangle. Yeah he caught a lot of flak in his time, but 15-20 year old Bimmer designs have aged much more gracefully than their contemporaries. (The powertrains, perhaps a different story.)

Compare BMW E46 to Merc W203, and it's not even close which car looks better on the road today. As far as today, yes the grilles are polarizing but almost everyone is doing it. Look at Genesis or Lexus land barge grilles, they are equally disgusting. BMW claims the grilles appeal to their most important market: China. North America is now an afterthought, partly because sedans are out of favor and partly because Tesla is eating their lunch.

Reactions: herm0016

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
I kind of disagree about Bangle. Yeah he caught a lot of flak in his time, but 15-20 year old Bimmer designs have aged much more gracefully than their contemporaries.

People generally associate him with the E60/E9X era of cars and later. I think it’s true he was involved to some extent with the E38, E39 and E46 era, he certainly worked at BMW at the time at a fairly high position. But yes in my very biased opinion late 90s and early 2000s BMWs look right at home on the road today when they’re clean and in good shape, which is stunning.

(The powertrains, perhaps a different story.)
The power trains are the best part!

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Windtunnel design & safety requirements:

View attachment 67590

dodge journey, chevy traverse, bmw x3, toyota rav4
ford edge, toyota rav 4, acura rdx, jeep grand cherokee
buick (lambda), MB GLS, volvo xc90, MB GLE
ford escape, infiniti fx, audi q5, mitsubishi outlander
nissan rogue, chevy equinox, mazda cx-5, vw toureg
porsche cayenne, bmw x5, lexus rx, honda crv

• Love
Reactions: Kaido

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I kind of disagree about Bangle. Yeah he caught a lot of flak in his time, but 15-20 year old Bimmer designs have aged much more gracefully than their contemporaries. (The powertrains, perhaps a different story.)

Compare BMW E46 to Merc W203, and it's not even close which car looks better on the road today. As far as today, yes the grilles are polarizing but almost everyone is doing it. Look at Genesis or Lexus land barge grilles, they are equally disgusting. BMW claims the grilles appeal to their most important market: China. North America is now an afterthought, partly because sedans are out of favor and partly because Tesla is eating their lunch.

Bangle wasn't as bad as some say; it's just that he soured the design language for a lot of people. I'm not sure I'd be that harsh about Genesis and Lexus, though... they seem to do a better job of integrating large grilles. Well, that and the Genesis I'd really want (the GV60) is electric.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
100% agreed.

Great choices .. that E32 is pure class. Pics?

I have E39 and E46 M cars that I plan to keep and drive for as long as I can buy gasoline. No interest in any of their newer offerings. Recently I’ve been casually looking for a half decent E30 but they’re either complete POS at this point or super expensive. Maybe I’ll find a recession special within the next few years although classic cars have not taken much of a hit so far.

Just browsed my pics...none of that car for some reason. :shrug: We gave it to our son in 2005...and he murdered it...and let it get towed away. :facepalm:

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
People generally associate him with the E60/E9X era of cars and later. I think it’s true he was involved to some extent with the E38, E39 and E46 era, he certainly worked at BMW at the time at a fairly high position. But yes in my very biased opinion late 90s and early 2000s BMWs look right at home on the road today when they’re clean and in good shape, which is stunning.

The power trains are the best part!
I didn't mean the performance of the powertrains, but the reliability of certain models. I.e. the E60 M5 is pretty much a bad car to purchase.

Bangle wasn't as bad as some say; it's just that he soured the design language for a lot of people. I'm not sure I'd be that harsh about Genesis and Lexus, though... they seem to do a better job of integrating large grilles. Well, that and the Genesis I'd really want (the GV60) is electric.
The 7 Series Bangle butt is rightfully the umm, butt of many jokes. But a lot of the 2000s BMW designs have aged pretty well IMHO.

I offer to you the new Genesis G80 and the Lexus LX. (Btw Hyundai/Genesis are executing really well, so I wasn't implying they don't make great cars.) Ever larger grilles are just a "thing" now with luxury cars. Let's hope one day there will be a reversal.