look for a few old games for a Laptop

RazorsEdge

Mar 4, 2009
I'm going to the beach next week and I won't have internet access, so that rules out anything online. I have played Age of Empires 1 and 2 and they've worked pretty well. I've liked some FPS, but I don't know if I could even play something like UT.

RTS or old FPS preferred - played through halflife 1 and 2 for reference

I have a Steam account that I could preload something if someone suggests something good

Thanks

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
UT should work plenty fine, atleast up until 2k3. Are you playing on a netbook or what?

RazorsEdge

Mar 4, 2009
Originally posted by: dougp
UT should work plenty fine, atleast up until 2k3. Are you playing on a netbook or what?

no, it's a 15inch toshiba laptop. Pretty basic, but it gets the job done.

How about something like Deus Ex? Or what were other RTS games from the AOE era?

Chriscross3234

Jun 4, 2006
For RTS:

Starcraft
Rise of Nations (might not work)
Command and Conquer (All of The First Decade pack should work, exception being Generals)
Age of Mythology
Total Annihilation
Homeworld

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
Originally posted by: RazorsEdge
Originally posted by: dougp

no, it's a 15inch toshiba laptop. Pretty basic, but it gets the job done.

How about something like Deus Ex? Or what were other RTS games from the AOE era?

Deus Ex should work - I'd also recommend TotalAnnihilation - you'll never run out of something to play there.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Umm if you're going to the beach don't take a laptop, you should be busy hitting on all the ladies.

RazorsEdge

Mar 4, 2009
Originally posted by: zerocool84
Umm if you're going to the beach don't take a laptop, you should be busy hitting on all the ladies.

Maybe in a previous life - I'm going with the wife, our 2.5 yr old, and a couple of other families. This is for some down time for Daddy during naptime.

Thanks for the suggestions

styrafoam

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Xcom is $5 on steam, not really a RTS but a classic worth having if you dont mind turn based games.

Bonesdad

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2002
Originally posted by: RazorsEdge
Originally posted by: zerocool84

Maybe in a previous life - I'm going with the wife, our 2.5 yr old, and a couple of other families.

yeah, so...what's your point?

Skunkwourk

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2004
Originally posted by: Chriscross3234
For RTS:

Starcraft
Rise of Nations (might not work)
Command and Conquer (All of The First Decade pack should work, exception being Generals)
Age of Mythology
Total Annihilation
Homeworld

for FPS

Far Cry
Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
Doom 3
Quake 4
Serious Sam
Max Payne 1&2 (not really FPS but still a good game and both on Steam for $15 total)

reallyscrued

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2004
Originally posted by: m0mentary
for FPS

Far Cry
Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
Doom 3
Quake 4
Serious Sam
Max Payne 1&2 (not really FPS but still a good game and both on Steam for $15 total)

Shader heavy games will crawl on a 965, I have one in my laptop. FarCry is pretty scalable but it'll look like ass without all the goodies.

I've played UT2k4 on my laptop though and that ran okay, depends on your screensize/resolution. I would stick to games Pre-UT2 and you should be able to play them all in their glorious detail.

Lastly:

DxBall 2.

minmaster

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2006
wait, isn't it going to be real hard to see anything in daylight at the beach? i can't imagine playing a game in the sun. take your laptop outside during the day and you'll see what i mean.

reallyscrued

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2004
Depends if he's got a matte or glossy screen, or CCFL/LED backlighting.

Don't assume. Just because you can't see your laptop in the sun doesn't mean others can't. Either way, I'm sure he'll be inside. I wonder how long his battery will last running an intense game at max brightness. (Even with a 9 cell monster.)

astrosfan315

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2002
I hope you took advantage of the 50% relic games deal. The whole original Dawn of War series (gold, winter assault, dark crusade, soulstorm) would work great and are a blast to play.

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
Originally posted by: minmaster
wait, isn't it going to be real hard to see anything in daylight at the beach? i can't imagine playing a game in the sun. take your laptop outside during the day and you'll see what i mean.

Hopefully he'll be playing back at the hotel, or else both brightness and battery life might totally negate gaming at the beach. I suppose they might set up an umbrella for shade, but battery life would still be an issue.

Warcraft 2 and Warcraft 3 would be my recommendations. I'm pretty sure Warcraft 3 would work if you dumb down the settings.