Longtime Red User Going Green

ultima_trev

Nov 4, 2015
Greetings,

I have recently acquired a Samsung 4K HDR TV and the RX 480 wasn't quite giving me the frames I needed in Ark and Witcher 3 at 4K+high settings. I have since ordered an MSI Gaming X GTX 1080. Asides from DDU to uninstall Crimson, is there anything else I should do before installing the new graphics card/drivers? Also, will my CPU/RAM (i5 6600K 4.4 / 32GB DDR4-3200) bottleneck the GTX 1080 in anyway?

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Greetings,

I have recently acquired a Samsung 4K HDR TV and the RX 480 wasn't quite giving me the frames I needed in Ark and Witcher 3 at 4K+high settings. I have since ordered an MSI Gaming X GTX 1080. Asides from DDU to uninstall Crimson, is there anything else I should do before installing the new graphics card/drivers? Also, will my CPU/RAM (i5 6600K 4.4 / 32GB DDR4-3200) bottleneck the GTX 1080 in anyway?

At 4k, you might run into some CPU issues with that i5, but not terribly likely. Check out some of the 'CPU throttling' threads in the vid card primary forum, there's some pretty good data in there (I think with witcher 3 @4k in fact). As for the card, if you just uninstall crimson, shut down, install card, fire up, then install drivers, you should be fine. In fact, realistically the AMD drivers shouldn't even affect anything (since the hardwareID won't exist anymore, drivers should just sit there). If you care, you can still install NV's drivers without getting 'involved' in their new Geforce Experience program (requires signin now, which is shit), but expect that to be a very limited time thing. I'm sure before long they'll stop releasing drivers outside of the GE application.

Welcome to the dark side. I just got a 1080, and i'm enjoying it thoroughly.

Reactions: ultima_trev

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
At 4k, you might run into some CPU issues with that i5, but not terribly likely. Check out some of the 'CPU throttling' threads in the vid card primary forum, there's some pretty good data in there (I think with witcher 3 @4k in fact)...
At 4k its overwhelmingly GPU bound. An i7 will not likely show any difference vs an i5 at that res.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
For most games, 4K only adds to GPU requirements, and can even lower the CPU requirements, as your FPS are typically lower.

Reactions: Flapdrol1337