Question Long post time, sometimes

Aug 30, 2021
I was wondering is this normal or is something wrong.

When I start my computer it shows the ASUS logo, then says "press del" to enter setup etc., then starts loading windows.

Usually it takes about 25 seconds. But sometimes it takes a long time before it goes through that routine, it may flash the ASUS logo a couple of times, it waits, and then it finally starts loading Windows.

So is it normal it sometimes takes a long time, or something wrong with the motherboard? Is it scanning some devices or what? It usually happens when the computer has been turned off during the night. Sometimes randomly. Then it could be very fast for the next 2-3 times, and so on.

My setup is:
ASUS B350 TUF Gaming mATX
2 x 8 Corsair 3000, running 2133 base, 3000 with XMP
3 Hard drives
Ryzen 5 2400G
1050 Ti

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I am not sure about the post issue, but you might want to test the drives. A failing drive could affect that, though it could be something else for sure. Also an SSD would help with the boot time.

Reactions: bigboxes

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Basically, what everyone has said so far. What is your boot drive? Failing drives would most certainly slow down boot up time.

Aug 30, 2021
My boot drive is SSD. The other drives are just regular hdds.

According to Crystaldiskinfo they are all OK, and that SSD is only used for a few weeks.

I think loading Windows is not "slow". It is just that it sometimes takes quite a while before it gets that far. It flashes the ASUS logo a few times, and waits, and only then actually starts loading Windows.

Some other times it just skips those faster. Never know how is it this time.

I noticed that I made a mistake on my first post, with the 25 seconds. What I meant was this:

The whole process, starting up, flashing ASUS logos, and loading Windows, they all take about 25 seconds total. Just sometimes it flashes those logos and waits, and waits... before it goes to the next step.

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
Disconnect all drives but the boot drive plus all other connected devices, check what happens. If possible use a wired KB and mouse.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
The long times sound like it's retraining memory. Do you have XMP speeds enabled, and is it consistently holding the selected memory speed?
Given it is a first gen board and Zen 1 APU, this could well be the issue. IIRC the max JEDEC for the 2400G was 2933, so 3000 can depend on the kit being used, and sometimes needs a voltage boost too.

CPU.jpg

All kidding aside: install latest bios if not done already. That usually improves memory compatibility quite a bit on most boards. If that does not do the trick, see if it happens with the ram running 2133. You can also set it to fast boot in UEFI, and ram retry to 1, and see how that goes.

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
Given it is a first gen board and Zen 1 APU, this could well be the issue. IIRC the max JEDEC for the 2400G was 2933, so 3000 can depend on the kit being used, and sometimes needs a voltage boost too.

View attachment 49609

All kidding aside: install latest bios if not done already. That usually improves memory compatibility quite a bit on most boards. If that does not do the trick, see if it happens with the ram running 2133. You can also set it to fast boot in UEFI, and ram retry to 1, and see how that goes.

I bet he needs to disable CSM. I'm assuming he did a UEFI install of course.

Aug 30, 2021
Yes it was a UEFI install.

I noticed something a few days ago, didn't post before because wanted to test it for a while and see if it indeed was it.

The graphics card.

Took it off and started using the integrated GPU as a test, and now it posts very fast. Every time.

Now I just wonder if the GPU was faulty, as it seems to work perfectly fine otherwise. Or is it normal that it prolongs the post time, sometimes. I googled it and noticed some other people have the same with AMD systems, I assume they can't all be faulty.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Slow device initialization during post is definitely a thing. Doesn't mean anything is faulty, but flashing or reflashing the 1050ti firmeware might speed things up. Not really worth the risk of something going wrong with the flash over slow boot times. Not with GPU pricing like it is.

I was joking about leaving the system on, but if it is bothering you that much, it is a solution, and only uses a few watts in sleep mode.

Reactions: 82517