Long boring movie

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Don_Vito
Originally posted by: mandala
Laurence of Arabia

Huh? That's one of the greatest films ever made. I saw a cleaned-up copy in Cinescope when I was 16 or so, and it blew my mind even at that age.

Yeah, well I have taken a bit to discounting your judgment ever since your blather about LotR. :p

I'm not too partial to fantasy myself, but I've read the books, and they're much better written than you seem to think. The characters are well developed enough - remember, the books aren't a story about individuals, but rather, a story about individuals banding together for a greater goal. The details needed are there, and I suspect that even if the past was unnecessarily delved into in LotR, it would not find your satisfaction.

Oh, btw - Soylent Green is my top bad movie. I don't have much in the way of high standards when it comes to movies - I suppose you could call me an optimist, in that sense. But I had a continuing urge to get up and leave when I saw that movie - the plot was poorly developed, and there were a great number of sub-plots that were abandoned and never wrapped up or properly developed and left to die.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Gods and Generals. I couldn't even finish the movie going through it at 16x. Quickly moved to 32x and still gave up.

sonambulo

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2004
The English Patient, Bully (ugh), Brown Bunny, any Jerry Bruckheimer production, any Adam Sandler movie after Happy Gilmore.

bigalt

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2000
i don't know how you could consider bully boring. long, maybe, distasteful, yes, but not boring!

actually, same for adam sandler and jerry buckheimer.

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Amorphus

Yeah, well I have taken a bit to discounting your judgment ever since your blather about LotR. :p

I'm not too partial to fantasy myself, but I've read the books, and they're much better written than you seem to think. The characters are well developed enough - remember, the books aren't a story about individuals, but rather, a story about individuals banding together for a greater goal. The details needed are there, and I suspect that even if the past was unnecessarily delved into in LotR, it would not find your satisfaction.

Actually, I didn't mean to pick on the books - I think they are great for what they are, and Tolkein was a really talented guy. I guess what I meant to say is that the interesting aspect of the books, at least to me, is their uncanny ability to wrap you up in the Middle Earth universe, and the movies don't offer the same richness IMO. I still am not and probably never will be a fantasy reader, but I don't pretend to be higher-brow at all - most of my fiction reading consists of mysteries (receently, Dennis Lehane, Michael Connelly, and Jan Burke are my favorites).

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Beattie
What's the longest most boring movie you have ever seen? For me, it's either Das Boot or Gods and Generals.

Gods and Generals gets my vote. SUPER-boring and long. One of the only times I had ever considered leaving the theater.

Winchester

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by: xboxist
Originally posted by: Beattie
What's the longest most boring movie you have ever seen? For me, it's either Das Boot or Gods and Generals.

Gods and Generals gets my vote. SUPER-boring and long. One of the only times I had ever considered leaving the theater.

Im not sure if it was boring, it was just too damn long. I was History major and I left at the intermission. A little too detailed.

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
Gigli or Glitter. i cant decide..
rolleye.gif