lol unreal tournament rules!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lamont Burns

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2002
Here's the ultimate answer: UT99 & UT2K4 > UT3.

UT3 is made to work on console as well and it's a POS in comparison to what 99 and 2K4 were. Still, it will have a decent community.

Oct 30, 2004

I think it's still a little to early to say how the three games will compare. If I had to guess, I'd say that UT99 will come out on top for its game play and UT 2004 and UT3 will end up being neck-and-neck. UT 2004 will prevail in the area of polish, the user interface, and the quality of the server browser while UT3 will win out in the area of the game play but lose in the area of polish and the server browser.

If Epic did fix the server browser and if the full version has more settings options, perhaps UT3 will have legs. I'm looking forward to trying no-vehicles regular weapons CTF and Warfare. If those games are fun and if the server browser is passable, then the game could prove to be a hit.

I'm going to wait and see what the pro community of players at ProUnreal.com and some other community sites have to say about the server browser before I shell out $50. If it's good I might remake some of my UT99 CTF maps and start a CTF clan (pm me if anyone thinks they might be interested).

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
2k4 > 99

and wow gg u no scoped in what is quite possibly the easiest game (for sniping) ever.

get 5 lightning gun headshots in a row in 2k4 against a real opponent and then come back.

UT3 is an abomination.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Originally posted by: Coldkilla
Pong > UT/CS/BF Series

Pong on a Q6600 with 8800GTX - does it have 16x AA? :p

j0j081

Banned
Aug 26, 2007
Originally posted by: LAMONTBURNS
head shots in UT3 is quite possibly the easiest thing ever... at least in the demo it is.

I don't know about that but I'm thinking this game might be easier on a lower resolution than 1680x1050. DM seems kinda weird in ws having trouble with my aiming which I never used to.

Dream Operator

Jan 31, 2005
Nobody brings up UTXMP. The game had a rather short life, slightly extended by the mod for UT2K4. I loved the elements added like turrets and classes. I know there are a lot of games that include those abilities, but I miss XMP!!

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
I liked XMP also, but yea it was very very short lived, the 2k mod was weak sauce though.

2k4 > *

Oct 30, 2004

<Sigh>

Well guys...now that the full version of UT3 has been released in Germany, it sounds like the full version is very similar to the Beta Demo at this time. In other words, based on the reports that I've read, it looks like the server browser is pathetic and that it won't even allow you to make a list of server Favorites!

I like the UT3 game play, but as an ancient Hotmail print ad once said, "What good is it if you can't get to it?" (Photo was of a guy sitting on a toilet reaching for an out-of-reach roll of toilet paper in another stall.) The UT3 game play might be great, but what good is it if you can't easily find servers that you want to play on and if you can't bookmark the servers you like as Favorites?

Hopefully Epic had to rush the gold version and they'll fix this mess with a patch. If not, then it's ggs UT3. Too bad you were a stillborn. Maybe UT4 will be better.

j0j081

Banned
Aug 26, 2007
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper

Hopefully Epic had to rush the gold version and they'll fix this mess with a patch. If not, then it's ggs UT3. Too bad you were a stillborn. Maybe UT4 will be better.
well I decided to wait until xmas to get it when my new pc will be built so hopefully a patch comes out by then if it does have a few issues. some games patches come out the day of release pratically so u never know.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper

<Sigh>

Well guys...now that the full version of UT3 has been released in Germany, it sounds like the full version is very similar to the Beta Demo at this time. In other words, based on the reports that I've read, it looks like the server browser is pathetic and that it won't even allow you to make a list of server Favorites!

That doesn't sound good. I have not seen a single person who likes this new browser. I don't know what they were thinking, as they had a nearly perfect system with the original UT. Although that won't stop me from getting the game as long as the gameplay is solid.

ourfpshero

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2005
true- i will still get it and use xfire to mark favorites.
its too bad -i liked the browser in ut2k4 w/the built in irc