lol unreal tournament rules!

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
UT99 was a really great game. 2k3 wasn't too great but 2k4 was better at least but still not quite as good. I did dig the vehicles though.

UT99 was probably one of my favorite demo ever it was like the full game with only one or 2 maps. I think I played that more than UT2k3. HL:Uplink was pretty awesome too, I beat that one about 50 times.

Molondo

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2005
i think people still play ut99, those who do are way to good. godmode x2.

EvilComputer92

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2004
Originally posted by: sash1
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
Originally posted by: j0j081
ut2k4>all

2k4 is a soulless corpse next to UT99.

i'd have to agree. the original UT is the sh!t

QFT. 2k4 is nothing compared to the original.

I still play it regularly. I have oldskool also which integrates Unreal Single Player fully into the game. Together they form the best games ever made.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: EvilComputer92
I still play it regularly. I have oldskool also which integrates Unreal Single Player fully into the game. Together they form the best games ever made.

Got a link to that mod? All the Google results seem to be dead.

*runs off to find his UT99 CDs* ;)

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: sash1
so i noticed i still have UT installed on my laptop. decided i'd play it a little bit. love this game, love CTF.

just did a botmatch cause i dunno if anyone actually plays this anymore. botskill on inhuman, CTF face. and, needless to say, i dominated:

i dominated with the ASMD
i sniped peoples heads
and then i shot off some more!

and don't fsck with me too hard or i'll no-scope 5 in a row

lol, UT is fun

Heh heh. People still play UT99 online. Come to this IRC server and channel:

SERVER: irc.gameradius.net
CHANNEL: #speedpug

...and you can join me and my friends in playing 5-on-5 CTF PUG matches...and then we'll see just how much you own with that sniper rifle <g>. If you ever wondered what it felt like to play a clan match (but without schedules), here's your chance! It's fun. You get to play with real teamwork, positional assignments, and voice comm (get the free Teamspeak2 program).

EvilComputer92

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2004
Originally posted by: BlueWeasel
Originally posted by: EvilComputer92

Got a link to that mod? All the Google results seem to be dead.

*runs off to find his UT99 CDs* ;)

The original site is down, but Oldskool comes included with 7 Bullets, one of the best custom single player packs ever made for UT. The installer comes with Oldskool included, but you'll need the original Unreal disc and then you'll have to copy all files to the UT folder if you want to play the original Unreal campaign.

Even if you've never played Unreal, I still recommend you try out 7 Bullets if you have UT99 and are looking for a great single player game.

Link

On a side note, if you want UT looking better than ever. Get the upgraded UT OpenGL driver from here

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
UT99 > UT2kX

The all play very well. Midway/Atari have a knack for hardcore FPS's. I hope you've tried UT3 if 99 floats your boat. It plays like 99 (sorta) and it's sick pretty on a fast box. I can't wait to suck in the full version in about 2-weeks.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: HardWarrior
UT99 > UT2kX

The all play very well. Midway/Atari have a knack for hardcore FPS's. I hope you've tried UT3 if 99 floats your boat. It plays like 99 (sorta) and it's sick pretty on a fast box. I can't wait to suck in the full version in about 2-weeks.

UT3 is like 99, but retains the soullessness of 2k4. i really can't explain it other than to say play 99, then play UT3/2k4. 99 is better in every aspect, except graphics. weapons sounds, maps, no lame vehicles (vehicle weapons feel like peashooters).

Ichigo

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2005
You guys throw around this "soulless" term around a bit too frequently. Some of you do, anyways. UT99 expresses just as much about human behaviour and the human condition as UT2k4 does. Yet, I find the latter more fun, overall. Thus, I play Ut2k4 and do not bother trying to admonish the other game by trying to imply some sort of inhumanity in playing it.

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: Ichigo
You guys throw around this "soulless" term around a bit too frequently. Some of you do, anyways. UT99 expresses just as much about human behaviour and the human condition as UT2k4 does. Yet, I find the latter more fun, overall. Thus, I play Ut2k4 and do not bother trying to admonish the other game by trying to imply some sort of inhumanity in playing it.

Wow! GFT! :thumbsup: I don't look for things cosmic in a game.

Hey Fen, interested in some DM after release? You seem like you'd be a blast to play against.

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Ichigo

Human condition? Human behavior? FPS? WTF?

Heh heh. Maybe someone should do a Ph.D. thesis on the psychology and sociology of online multiplayer FPS players. There are a whole lotta e-jerks out there trying to slap other players around with their e-penises, so I bet there'd be lots to write about.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
seriously.. the weapons just don't feel right in ut2k4. take the assault rifle vs. enforcers from UT99. the enforces were one of my favorite weapons. sniper rifle? UT99. assault levels? AS_overloard - hells yeah. the vehicles in 2k4 almost all shot energy beams or another. weaksauce i say. i want something with MEAT. not "pew pew pew pew" from a manta, the flying one (can't remember), the giant siege thingy (also can't remember), the energy turrets of onslaught.

sure it's bigger, but IMO it's not better.

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
You got it right Fen, in your opinion. Dress it up anyway you want, but not all of us are self-styled game "purists" who know better than the guys who get paid good to balance games. I've yet to play an Unreal game that didn't deliver. UT3 will work just fine by me. Time marches on.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
The simple fact is that UT (or UT99) has this little extra element that the sequels are missing. And that element is "bad-ass fun."

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Originally posted by: cKGunslinger
The simple fact is that UT (or UT99) has this little extra element that the sequels are missing. And that element is "bad-ass fun."

Yup. UT99 is superior in MP gameplay, which is what counts.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I got a better one ...

Both UT99 and UT2K4 are equally awesome.

Now top THAT ...

Meh seriously I'm having equal fun with both games. And, personally, I prefer a good modified and mutated Invasion mode over Onslaught any time. However UT99's CTF cannot possibly be beaten by 2K4's. All in all I find nice game-play in both games.

Oct 30, 2004
I enjoy both games but I regard UT99 as having the best overall game play. When I want to play CTF it's UT99 PUG matches for me. However, I do like and I do enjoy UT 2004, but for different reasons. I enjoy UT 2004's Onslaught and Invasion Monster Mash-RPG games.

I will say this. If you look at online multiplayer player counts at a given amount of time after the release of each game, say three years after release (that's 2002 for UT99 and 2007 for UT 2004), there's no question that the UT99 player counts trounced the UT 2004 player counts, especially for the core game type Capture the Flag. The same holds true if you look at player counts two years after release (2001 and 2006, respectively). So which game was better? I think the player counts data speaks for itself. Consequently, UT99 also had much more organized clan activity and a stronger online community.

Let's hope that UT3 is as successful as the Original. Sadly, I'm skeptical of that. I like the game play in the Beta Demo, but you can tell that the packaging of the game has been "consolized". The User Interface really isn't all that awful, but what gets me is the god-awful server browser. If the final server browser isn't at least as good as the UT99 server browser then Epic has insulted the UT community as far as I'm concerned. The UT3 browser should be as functional and as feature-packed as both the UT99 and UT 2004 browsers combined. I sure hope that it's dramatically improved from the POS that came with the Demo.

I was real enthusiastic about UT3 and although I liked the game play of the Demo, the issue of the crucially important server browser (players' window to the online multiplayer world) has dampened my enthusiasm. They aren't including a built-in IRC browser, either, which is a huge mistake since the lack of it will make it harder for people who know nothing about IRC to meet and get involved with the clan community.