LOL @ the latest "feature" on these forums.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I like "The Bell of Annoyance". Makes me laugh every time I see it written :^D

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I like "The Bell of Annoyance". Makes me laugh every time I see it written :^D
I am just glad it is gone from my phone. Should have named it Somerset Bell of Annoyance.

Last edited:

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
I never run ad blockers. Most of the ads I get are from Supermicro, IBM, Microsoft, Intel. Not annoying. By the way, the bell issue is more of css styling issue.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Same here ads have never bothered me!
I have a funny story to tell about ads....
My son in Law was using his computer and his wife walked ion and looking over his shoulder asked him why there were ads for sex toys.....
His explanation did not go over too well!!

• Haha
Reactions: highland145

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Same here ads have never bothered me!
I have a funny story to tell about ads....
My son in Law was using his computer and his wife walked ion and looking over his shoulder asked him why there were ads for sex toys.....
His explanation did not go over too well!!
Should have said that their accounts are linked and what was her excuse.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
The issue does not happen on desktop or laptop monitors. The issue still occurs even if the page is viewed in desktop mode on a smartphone. Thus it means that the size of the bell icon is being done in non-computer measurements, like cm or mm. The position is actually not the issue. All dashboard icons are smaller than their desktop variants, regardless in desktop mode or regular mode, when viewed from a smartphone. This means that the size of those are being done in computer measurements like pixels or points.

The size of the bell icon when the page is viewed on a smartphone device is the same as that on a desktop or computer screen. This means that there is a CSS error somewhere.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
The issue does not happen on desktop or laptop monitors. The issue still occurs even if the page is viewed in desktop mode on a smartphone. Thus it means that the size of the bell icon is being done in non-computer measurements, like cm or mm. The position is actually not the issue. All dashboard icons are smaller than their desktop variants, regardless in desktop mode or regular mode, when viewed from a smartphone. This means that the size of those are being done in computer measurements like pixels or points.

The size of the bell icon when the page is viewed on a smartphone device is the same as that on a desktop or computer screen. This means that there is a CSS error somewhere.
Lol, the issue is it being there at all .... I know I turned off notification.

Reactions: highland145

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
websites wanting to send me notifications all the time is one of the worst things about the current internet. after old people thinking that the internet is srs bsns.

go open a site on your phone and there's so much crap you have to dismiss just to read a dumb article about someone's botched attempt at fixing his friend's mini. no, i don't want you to send me notifications, yes, i know you're strewing cookies about all over the place, no i don't want to sign up for your newsletter, no, i don't want to share my location.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
What I hate the most about most modern websites is those freaking modal popups. Those make me want to murder and it seems every 2nd website I run into while researching something seems to have those. Worse is the delayed ones. You're in the middle of reading an article the BAM right in your face. The people that put that on their sites can die in a fire. Floating elements in general are annoying. If I'm scrolling, I want the entire page to scroll. I don't want some stupid header or side bar to keep following me and blocking the text. This forum has a small header but it's small enough that it's not annoying, I've seen some sites that place the header not at the top, but like maybe 200pixels from the top, or just make it super huge. Those too, can die in a fire.

And before you say Noscript... have you actually tried to use the internet with that? You spend like 10 minutes per site trying to figure out what you're suppose to allow so that the site finally loads. I've also had botched credit card transactions because some script won't load in middle of transaction due to badly designed site. It's not worth it. What would be nice is if Noscript blocked specific types of javascript instead of entire domains. So like if I can just block all modals or all floating headers, etc.