lol computer repair shop ripped off my uncle

jfall

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2000
My uncle's laptop got a virus so he took it into a local repair shop. They told him that his hard drive was infected and he needed a new hard drive. So they sold him a $150 laptop hard drive. I can't believe these companies get away with this sh!t

On top of that, the hard drive they sold him doesn't even work. The laptop won't recognize it.

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
Your uncle has never heard of an anti-virus program? What with all the ads I'm sure he has been fed, I'm surprised he still managed to download and install a virus, then get ripped off like this.

Al Neri

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2002
i once brought my PC to get upgraded (at the time it was a 500mhz celeron (maybe 00 or 01) and they said they'd upgrade it to an Athlon 1500... they installed and overclocked a 1300.

I went back with a few of my boys one being a lawyer and the guy sh*t his pants and gave me the upgrade for free.

score one for me.

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
Originally posted by: jfall
My uncle's laptop got a virus so he took it into a local repair shop. They told him that his hard drive was infected and he needed a new hard drive. So they sold him a $150 laptop hard drive. I can't believe these companies get away with this sh!t

On top of that, the hard drive they sold him doesn't even work. The laptop won't recognize it.

If it's infected enough the labor involved in cleaning the virii will likely add up to more than a new drive. If his drive is old to begin with he didn't get ripped off.

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
Originally posted by: hungfarover

If it's infected enough the labor involved in cleaning the virii will likely add up to more than a new drive. If his drive is old to begin with he didn't get ripped off.

Losing everything on your harddrive is priceless. The labor is worth it for most people. I've never heard of a harddrive so infected that it was too hard to clean anyway, and I've dealt with some nasty infections.

jupiter57

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Don Rodriguez
i once brought my PC to get upgraded (at the time it was a 500mhz celeron (maybe 00 or 01) and they said they'd upgrade it to an Athlon 1500... they installed and overclocked a 1300.

Dude!
What board did you have that took both Intel Celeron AND AMD Athlon processors?

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005

I went back with a few of my boys one being a lawyer and the guy sh*t his pants and gave me the upgrade for free.

score one for me.

Wow thats ownage, I would love that.

jme5343

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2003
Originally posted by: jupiter57

Dude!

LOL

50cent1228

Platinum Member
Oct 5, 2006
wow thats business...they saw a person who didn't know sh*t about comps and took advantage of it...they probly thought hey he doen't know anything and it would save us alot of time if we could just replace it

Al Neri

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2002

Dude!

upgraded the MOBO and the CPU.. wiseguy:p

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
My sister's friend's laptop had a dead hard drive - the bearings sounded horrible. A genuine replacement from Compaq: $400. For a 40GB 4200rpm drive.

From Directron for a 5400rpm 40GB drive: $50.

Who knows, maybe his hard drive happened to have other problems. But replacing a hard drive because it has a virus? BS.
Or maybe they just did a zero wipe with DBAN and said it's a new hard drive.

Originally posted by: Malak

Losing everything on your harddrive is priceless. The labor is worth it for most people. I've never heard of a harddrive so infected that it was too hard to clean anyway, and I've dealt with some nasty infections.
Some people don't keep anything of value on their PCs. A format and restore might even go unnoticed, except perhaps, "Where'd my Favorites go?"

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004

almost everything can be cleaned, it's just a matter of do you want to pay a guy $300+ in labor to clean it or $150 for a new drive and a fresh format.

unless the drive has physically failed there's a billion ways to retain whatever data he wants to keep so that's really not an issue.

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
Yeah but even if you are dumb enough to get infected, you can still clean your harddrive. I even had someone with a broken profile that they couldn't login under and I fixed that, worst I've seen. Only took like 20 minutes.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
I worked for a single day at a local computer shop, someone came in and one of the other guys working on stuff messed up some mechanical part, not sure how the hell you can do that, but anyway - he tells the store owner, who tells him to not worry. He goes to the client and say that the motherboard short circuited and so he'll need a new motherboard, cpu, and HDD to ensure data is fine. All he did was swap out the hard drive and charge for everything else.

I haven't been back there since. I really don't care at all if the place can pay $20/hour in cash on my own time even if for just an hour of work a day, but if he's going to lie to people like that, I'm not working there.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005

Copy essential files off the drive onto server, format drive, reinstall, restore files.

Not a reason to sell him a drive.

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999

Dude!

upgraded the MOBO and the CPU.. wiseguy:p

He would have had to upgrade the RAM too. And more likely than not reinstall the OS, becuase the instruction set for an AMD is different to that for an Intel processor..

Hmmmmmmm

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003

almost everything can be cleaned, it's just a matter of do you want to pay a guy $300+ in labor to clean it or $150 for a new drive and a fresh format.

unless the drive has physically failed there's a billion ways to retain whatever data he wants to keep so that's really not an issue.

Uhh, I've never seen anything that a format didn't get rid of.

Xyclone

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Aflac
No worse than auto mechanics.

Have you seen that CBS presentation of the Jiffy Lubes in the Los Angeles suburbs (Burbank, Encino, Northridge, etc.) ripping the reporters off? OMG, it's horrible.

Sep 29, 2004

Better than bringing his problem to me to resolve.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com

virii isn't a word, newb

herbiehancock

May 11, 2006
Originally posted by: eits

virii isn't a word, newb

eits.......don't you know virii is the new LEET pluralization of virus, instead of viruses?

Who cares if virii is virtually unknown in edited prose and no major dictionary recognizes it as an alternative form.

It's just so geeky and LEET to use something that was created by hackers on the internet instead of standard English. He's gotta do something to brighten his otherwise drab never-go-outdoors existence. ;)