Jul 5, 2001 8:28 A.M. CACH, IL US DEPARTURE SCAN
4:34 A.M. CACH, IL US LOCATION SCAN
Jul 3, 2001 11:47 P.M. SHIPMENT DATA RECEIVED
10:42 P.M. INDY 81ST, IN US LOCATION SCAN

goes from North Bay Hub to Sacramento and back. lolll!! how stupid can they get

rmblam

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2000
Mine is better I think. I talked to them 3 times now today on the phone. Each time they told me I would be contacted in "1" hour. What time is it? My regular driver must be on vacation... dam her!! ;-)

Jul 10, 2001 9:20 P.M. LAKESIDE, WI, US DIRECTIONS NEEDED, NOT DELIVERED;POSTCARD HAS BEEN SENT
9:19 P.M. LAKESIDE, WI, US DIRECTIONS NEEDED, NOT DELIVERED
7:32 P.M. LAKESIDE, WI, US DIRECTIONS NEEDED, NOT DELIVERED
4:13 P.M. LAKESIDE, WI, US UPS INTERNAL ACTIVITY CODE
4:13 P.M. LAKESIDE, WI, US DELIVERY
6:44 A.M. LAKESIDE, WI, US INCOMPLETE ADDRESS, NOT DELIVERED;ADDRESS CORRECTED, DELIVERY RESCHEDULED
Jul 9, 2001 7:31 P.M. LAKESIDE, WI, US DIRECTIONS NEEDED, NOT DELIVERED
Jul 6, 2001 5:34 P.M. CACH, IL, US LOCATION SCAN
1:09 A.M. CACH, IL, US ARRIVAL SCAN
Jul 3, 2001 11:01 P.M. SWEETWATER HOUSTON, TX, US DEPARTURE SCAN
10:50 P.M. SWEETWATER HOUSTON, TX, US ARRIVAL SCAN
9:30 P.M. STAFFORD, TX, US DEPARTURE SCAN
9:22 P.M. STAFFORD, TX, US ORIGIN SCAN
8:44 P.M. US PICKUP MANIFEST RECEIVED

goldboyd

Golden Member
Oct 12, 1999
:( and i thought i was special. a package i'm waiting for took 5 days to make a 7 hour drive.

bozo1

Diamond Member
May 21, 2001
Hey, all FedEx packages used to go through Memphis even if they were just going 10 miles away.

bonkers325

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
haha ups how typical
people u havent seen mine but its wierd

look at my refused package
look how it travels back and forth

Jul 9, 2001 8:25 A.M. ADDISON-ADDISON, IL, US DELIVERY
6:54 A.M. ADDISON, IL, US DESTINATION SCAN
Jul 6, 2001 11:39 P.M. ADDISON, IL, US ARRIVAL SCAN
11:10 P.M. CACH, IL, US DEPARTURE SCAN
10:15 A.M. CACH, IL, US LOCATION SCAN
Jul 3, 2001 9:04 A.M. FOSTER AVENUE, NY, US DELAYED IN UPS ORIGIN FACILITY;FORWARDED TO DESTINATION
9:04 A.M. FOSTER AVENUE, NY, US LOCATION SCAN
7:38 A.M. FOSTER AVENUE, NY, US DESTINATION SCAN
12:58 A.M. FOSTER AVENUE, NY, US ARRIVAL SCAN
Jun 29, 2001 2:14 A.M. CACH, IL, US DEPARTURE SCAN
Jun 28, 2001 2:06 P.M. CACH, IL, US LOCATION SCAN
2:01 P.M. CACH, IL, US LOCATION SCAN
Jun 26, 2001 1:46 P.M. FORT HAMILTON, NY, US RECEIVER DID NOT WANT, REFUSED DELIVERY
Jun 25, 2001 9:01 P.M. MEADOWLANDS, NJ, US UNLOAD SCAN
5:36 A.M. MEADOWLANDS, NJ, US ARRIVAL SCAN
Jun 22, 2001 1:33 A.M. ADDISON, IL, US DEPARTURE SCAN
Jun 21, 2001 9:44 P.M. ADDISON, IL, US LOCATION SCAN
6:18 A.M. US PICKUP MANIFEST RECEIVED

pac1085

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
Its not as bad as one I had quite a while ago...it said it was delayed due to train derailment.

SuperCyrix

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2001
Somebody was having too much fun with the scanner. But why do they send packages around in loops?

rmblam

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2000

<< Its not as bad as one I had quite a while ago...it said it was delayed due to train derailment. >>

lol. I think I remember that. Wasn't that posted at Hardocp?

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000

<< 10:42 P.M. INDY 81ST, IN US LOCATION SCAN
>>

Hey, I work just across the Interstate from there!

FriedToast

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2001
a lot of this running back and forth stuf is caused by double labels. If you ever ship anything, PLEASE make sure to have one label on the top of the package. If there's a label from when you received it, tear it off or have it totally blacked out as to be unreadable.

Another thing that people often do is to switch around the order of the From and To.
ie-

To: Joe Blow
10 Goofy way
Alphaville, MX 00169

1 Numbnut Ln
Moron, PD 09010

what happens in that case is that this pkg is going to go back and forth between MX and PD depending on how the package is read. Just be a normal person and please put the From first (and on top) and the To second (and below it). It'll save headaches. I see this crap every single day. I scratched out enough of 'em today that I finally got sick and tired of babysitting the shipper that did it and let the packages go on their way. If they can't be bothered to pay enough attn to have a single label, there's only so much time I can spend checking packages. Good grief. Every single day.

I'm not saying that this is what happened w/ your guys' pkgs, but it's likely. Or sometimes someone else's label comes off and gets stuck on another pkg. Sounds goofy, but it does happen. Think of 11 million packages a day banging around together. There's some weird crap that comes out of all of it.

UCBPride

Feb 20, 2001
friedtoast, i think we all understand that anomalies are unavoidable in such huge operations, but the excuses they make are ludicrous. i mean, train derailment? US DIRECTIONS NEEDED?! christ, they're a shipping company, they should at least know where they're going. it cant get any worse when you check the status of your much anticipated shipment and ups responds &quot;delayed due to train derailment&quot;, or &quot;oh i need directions&quot;

then again i guess you get what you paid for

anyway thanks for your explanation, I appreciate it

Sugadaddy

Banned
May 12, 2000
UPS is a joke. The problem is it's not funny when you get your monitor, and the box comes two days later.

FriedToast

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2001
Well, it just so happens that I worked for Burlington Northern for 3 1/2 years (before it merged w/ Santa Fe). Derailments DO happen. UPS does not arbitrarily put in some cockamamie excuse for a late package. We are bustin' nuts to get all the pkgs where they're going. Whether you believe that train derailments happen or not is up to you. I've been on a couple personally. And that was only in 3 1/2 years of railroading. I've always seen an Amtrak derailment in Portland when I was working there. Crap happens in a normal working day for everyone. We just are under a lot more scrutiny because more ppl depend on our service. It's not like we went out and pushed the train off the tracks so we could say, &quot;Ha ha, screw you little customer man!&quot; Usually in a 'situation' like that, ppl are going ballistic trying to figure out how to get the packages out of the derailment and back into service. UPS doesn't want to pay refunds for service failures, so it's not something that we try to make happen ;)

FriedToast

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2001
Need directions. Sorry, if you want us to use GPS systems in all of our rigs, please don't gripe when the prices go waaaaay up. Until then, we are humans trying to find places just like any other human does. If it's a nice day and the letters/numbers of your address are in large letters on your mailbox (both sides, mind you) or on your house and are contrasting in color to the house paint, and if you don't have a number that was changed due to 911 address changes (but you still have the old address up or vice versa) and your street is an easy street to navigate, and you have your usual driver who's delivered to you every day for the past 14 years, then yes, maybe it's asking too much for us to want directions.

However, if you are a nice guy, you might let the driver go on vacation. Or perhaps call in sick sometime. So for 14 yrs (or however long), no one else has done this location except for vacation/sick days. Hmmm. And perhaps the numbering of your house isn't quite as big as you think it is (ever try to find someone else's house and realize that you can't see their house numbers? Or the house numbers are painted to match the house?) Or maybe the numbers on the mailbox at the entrance to your driveway are only on one side of your mailbox. Or are old and faded or peeled off. Are we supposed to just KNOW where you are? Sorry- most packages that I've dealt with didn't have directions to your house from the shipper on them. And I'm not pulling all of this out of my butt. I've been out there bustin' butt trying to deliver ppls' packages. And it's not easy finding places for a large percentage of the time. Sorry if I'm only filling in on someone else's route. But how many years did it take the normal driver to learn all the ins and outs of who lived where according to the local geography? Even in cities- look at apt complexes. Ever have a friend invite you over to their new place and it's in unit B-73? Well, if you've ever been to more than one apt complex, you know that there's a staggering # of ways that ppl set them up. You can go around til your head's dizzy trying to figure it out. And that's the kind of crap that we deal with on a daily basis. Do you hear us coming on here to whine about how your house doesn't have legible numbers on it or is numbered incorrectly according to the rest of the houses in the area? No. Don't have time for that. The drivers just sheet it up as Need Directions and give it to me to look you up. And tell ya what. If you're not in the phone book and your phone number isn't on the packing slip and I can't find info on you any other way, guess what? Your pkg is going to sit for a week until you figure out that it's not where it's supposed to be.

We don't practice magic. Every single one of us is a human just like you. Unless you're not and in that case, may we bow before the almight GPS God. Until you step in the shoes and see just how UNeasy it is, brother, you best be steppin' down from that almighty high horse you're on. I'm not saying that there are instances of drivers being lazy on occasion, but those are just instances. If you've had it happen more than once or is a regular occurence, then possibly you need to be evaluating what you've said to the driver previously or how you've treated them. Because otherwise, I don't buy it.

Sorry if I'm a little defensive there, but UPS was getting hammered in another thread, too. It's good to see how many people think that it's a cinch to get this stuf done.
Hey- if you don't like it, use someone else. If that doesn't work, then start your own company. You can say the PO is better or FedEx is better. All three are actually different beasts in what they do. I could explain it, but that would take even more space that most ppl wouldn't be willing to read. Not to mention that I really don't know if anyone'd care if I did.

Not that it matters ;)

jaybert

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2001
Amen...my UPS delivery guy is pretty cool...he has no problem leaving my packages when no ones home when I ask (probably cause there was a stretch when he came every single day to deliver a different computer part!)

<< Need directions. Sorry, if you want us to use GPS systems in all of our rigs, please don't gripe when the prices go waaaaay up. Until then, we are humans trying to find places just like any other human does. If it's a nice day and the letters/numbers of your address are in large letters on your mailbox (both sides, mind you) or on your house and are contrasting in color to the house paint, and if you don't have a number that was changed due to 911 address changes (but you still have the old address up or vice versa) and your street is an easy street to navigate, and you have your usual driver who's delivered to you every day for the past 14 years, then yes, maybe it's asking too much for us to want directions.

However, if you are a nice guy, you might let the driver go on vacation. Or perhaps call in sick sometime. So for 14 yrs (or however long), no one else has done this location except for vacation/sick days. Hmmm. And perhaps the numbering of your house isn't quite as big as you think it is (ever try to find someone else's house and realize that you can't see their house numbers? Or the house numbers are painted to match the house?) Or maybe the numbers on the mailbox at the entrance to your driveway are only on one side of your mailbox. Or are old and faded or peeled off. Are we supposed to just KNOW where you are? Sorry- most packages that I've dealt with didn't have directions to your house from the shipper on them. And I'm not pulling all of this out of my butt. I've been out there bustin' butt trying to deliver ppls' packages. And it's not easy finding places for a large percentage of the time. Sorry if I'm only filling in on someone else's route. But how many years did it take the normal driver to learn all the ins and outs of who lived where according to the local geography? Even in cities- look at apt complexes. Ever have a friend invite you over to their new place and it's in unit B-73? Well, if you've ever been to more than one apt complex, you know that there's a staggering # of ways that ppl set them up. You can go around til your head's dizzy trying to figure it out. And that's the kind of crap that we deal with on a daily basis. Do you hear us coming on here to whine about how your house doesn't have legible numbers on it or is numbered incorrectly according to the rest of the houses in the area? No. Don't have time for that. The drivers just sheet it up as Need Directions and give it to me to look you up. And tell ya what. If you're not in the phone book and your phone number isn't on the packing slip and I can't find info on you any other way, guess what? Your pkg is going to sit for a week until you figure out that it's not where it's supposed to be.

We don't practice magic. Every single one of us is a human just like you. Unless you're not and in that case, may we bow before the almight GPS God. Until you step in the shoes and see just how UNeasy it is, brother, you best be steppin' down from that almighty high horse you're on. I'm not saying that there are instances of drivers being lazy on occasion, but those are just instances. If you've had it happen more than once or is a regular occurence, then possibly you need to be evaluating what you've said to the driver previously or how you've treated them. Because otherwise, I don't buy it.

Sorry if I'm a little defensive there, but UPS was getting hammered in another thread, too. It's good to see how many people think that it's a cinch to get this stuf done.
Hey- if you don't like it, use someone else. If that doesn't work, then start your own company. You can say the PO is better or FedEx is better. All three are actually different beasts in what they do. I could explain it, but that would take even more space that most ppl wouldn't be willing to read. Not to mention that I really don't know if anyone'd care if I did.

Not that it matters ;)
>>