Logitech Z680 Pod and Speakers (no sub)

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Linkage

I actually replaced BOTH sets of speakers to my Z5500 about a year ago with these because they sounded better the the speakers that came with the Z5500 set as OEM. Better highs and mids from these then the OEM Z5500 set with the same OHM between the two. IMO of course but I tested with all kinds of music and movies then sold my Z5500 speakers on Ebay for $120 a set ;)

If you got a Z680 set you may consider picking one or two of these up to keep the set going for years more to come. Comes with front and rear speakers and a center along with a pod which if anything goes it seems to be speakers and pods.

I have another set of Z680 speakers in a box for my 2 Z5500 and Z560 I wont ever let go myself and may pick one of these up as well.

jlin101

Feb 12, 2005
only useful for those who already have a set--these speakers can't make a peep of sound without the amplifier in the subwoofer. I agree that the old speakers seem smoother than the new one in Z5500.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
You can always use these with your receiver you have now or plan on getting and then add a powered sub to that. I bet these would sound great on the super cheap as a matching set to a home theater set up. No different really then going that route, be just like using the amp in the logitech sub except your using a componant HT Receiver to power to speakers.

aimanzym

Sep 4, 2006
i can't trust logitech that because that it is not a sperker maker. Not like creative or so. i can hear the difference from them. thanks

iseestars

Jun 24, 2006
Whatever, logitech make excellent speakers. Sure they aren't sets that cost $1000 each, but if someone wants a good set of speakers they can't go wrong

except in this case, becasue they are refurb

I don't trust refurb especially in something like this

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
I on the other hand love refurbs. if your willing to buy something used at a garage sale, flee market, the FS/FT forums here then no different buying refurb speakers other then atleast they come with a warranty. And were talking speakers. Paper cone with coper wire around it. What could possibly be wrong with a refurb speaker :p
All 10 of mine I replaced my OEM ones with were refurbs and used, not a single problem. Hell 90% of everything in my house is used or refurb and only had one thing go bad and when it did it was under warranty and got bought back. So I love people who think "EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW its a refurb stay away, because you keep my prices way down and save me tons!" :D

iseestars

Jun 24, 2006
Actually, I've boughten refurb in the past and had good and bad experience. I've also gotten new items and had mostly good and a few bad experiences

Refurb is not the same as used, because presumably used is still working fine, refurb broke once. Something that breaks once is more likely to break repeatedly, just in my experience.

The benefit of new is that you get much better warranty support if something breaks down.
Refurb gives you much better price sometimes, but if it breaks down again (90 days only covers initial condition as far as I'm concerned), you're out the money you paid.

In this case, the price seems very good, but in general refurb often will sell for less, but so will retail on a sale - in which case, I opt for the retail with the warranty.

You also want to be careful who you order refurb from. Logitech should be ok for their 90day warranty, but random companies may not have the same level of support.

I don't trust refurb because often it can be a crapshoot. Some people get lucky a lot and others get unlucky a lot and have tons of problems with refurbs. If I happen to get unlucky I prefer a good warranty to back up the product.

This doesn't mean I'm unwilling to buy refurb.

iseestars

Jun 24, 2006
Part of my skepticism is because I got refurb speakers once and they crapped out on me. So it's from my experience that I'm hesitant here. I'm not just saying it to blow idle wind. They were some Monsoon speakers, which were awesome when they worked, but got garbled and awful to listen to after the short warranty on them expired.

jlin101

Feb 12, 2005
Originally posted by: iseestars
Actually, I've boughten refurb in the past and had good and bad experience. I've also gotten new items and had mostly good and a few bad experiences

Refurb is not the same as used, because presumably used is still working fine, refurb broke once. Something that breaks once is more likely to break repeatedly, just in my experience.

The benefit of new is that you get much better warranty support if something breaks down.
Refurb gives you much better price sometimes, but if it breaks down again (90 days only covers initial condition as far as I'm concerned), you're out the money you paid.

In this case, the price seems very good, but in general refurb often will sell for less, but so will retail on a sale - in which case, I opt for the retail with the warranty.

You also want to be careful who you order refurb from. Logitech should be ok for their 90day warranty, but random companies may not have the same level of support.

I don't trust refurb because often it can be a crapshoot. Some people get lucky a lot and others get unlucky a lot and have tons of problems with refurbs. If I happen to get unlucky I prefer a good warranty to back up the product.

This doesn't mean I'm unwilling to buy refurb.

refurbish does not automatically mean defective or broken--it simply means the product had been opened or returned, for what ever reason. Some may have minor cosmetic blemishes. My experience with refurbished computer products has been mixed.