Logitech Z623 crackling sound during loud explosions

tracerit

Nov 20, 2007
I'm using Logitech Z623 2.1 speakers connected to my laptop to play movies and during loud scenes or explosions, it sounds crackly. Is there a test that I can perform to see if my speakers are crapping out or if it's just the audio from the file? (720p mkv DTS files).

p0rkguy

Dec 2, 2012
I don't think there are any tests but DTS audio is a bit pointless on 2.1 speakers.
I think it is more of you forcing surround sound 5.1/7.1 into 2.1 speakers, the effects/explosions will be much louder than the dialogue because of this.

Slugbait

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Most likely: you've got Windows volume cranked. Drop it to 50%, and control the volume from the speaker controls.

Other possibility: poor quality cables. My Z680 came with junk cables, I replaced them years ago with copper HT cables.

burningphoenix

Feb 18, 2014
Hello everyone,

I also have the Logitech Z623 speakers and found a solution for myself.
to start with something, I will tell you a little story about this.

I bought the Logitech Z623 speaker set (2 speakers and 1 Woofer) in november 2011. I was really happy with the speakers until about 1 year later they started to give some crackling in the following situation:

1. When I turn on the speaker it will give a "light" crack in the left speaker.
2 When the volume is over 40% with Bass on 50% the sound will start crackling in both speakers.
3. I have the Volume and Bass on 100% at the speakers and maintain the sound via the windows audio mixer (at 40%).

I tried everything and read about the issue on much forums around the world. I simply forgot to check the "Tone" balance which shows the Bass/Treble in the windows audio settings. I have put this at -12 dB and notice I can put the speakers on 100%. This was a great break for me because I was about to thrash these speakers because I had no warranty for it. I have no issues left and still checking which is the most appropriate setting for maximum performance and sound.

Now you guys are probably thinking I am not getting the maximum performance because I have put the dB for Bass/Treble to -12. Actually when I have the "Tone" levels to the middle with the speaker setup to 100%, this means I would have 150%... correct? So thats why I think we have the issue because after some time we blow our speakers... So yes we have to do it with that if you have no other help from Logitech with out of date warranty.

I hope this info will help you guys out. If you need any assistance I can help you with remote support. My education is actually in IT, so I know my way around :)

drumdydrum

Nov 25, 2020
I have the Logitech Z623 speakers. I had a crackling problem and fixed it.

Problem: Speakers were playing normally. Then, I played a song really loud (max PC and knob volumes, bass knob maxed [I think, not sure]) and noticed less than a minute afterwards that all speakers (left, right, and subwoofer) crackled when I played any audio (independent of treble/mids/bass levels) at pretty much any volume.
Solution: Switched out the 3.5mm aux cable for another one.

Hope this helps someone.