Logitech z560 - Suggested Connections

bgJR

Nov 12, 2001
To All (Especially MODS),

I realize that this thread isn't a hot deal but after searching through 1500+ posts to try and find if it was possible to connect these speakers and sub thru a Receiver, DVD player, VCR, or etc ... i concluded that it was an inefficient use of my time and wanted to try and save some fellow AT'rs the time. Which in the long run will save them $$$$.

Hopefully everyone will be able to contribute and answer questions that alot of us have.

I also will include some reviews and tech specs. Hopefully someone else can fill iin the holes.

TEch Specs:

Total power output: 400W RMS. Satellite 212W RMS (4 x 53w). Subwoofer: 188W RMS.

Maximum SPL: 114dba

Frequency response: 35Hz to 20 kHz

Signal to Noise ratio: >100db (A)

Input impedance: 10,000 ohms

Here is some input from fellow owners:

< I got mine today and immediately tried to figure out how to set them up to my receiver so I could set up a home theatre in my living room. For those of you that were thinking about doing the same thing and haven't tried yet, let me tell you now-these speakers are not meant to be hooked up to a receiver (unless you just want to hook the speakers up without the subwoofer-but then where's the fun in that? ). Not to say it can't be done, but let's just say it's going to take some radio shack accessories and alot of wire splicing to get the job done. If anyone has tried to do this, please post your results.

Awesome speakers, btw. >>

Your reciever is outputting "speaker" out, not line-out I suspect.

You need to have a line-out to run to these speakers.....rather, the sub-inputs. If you use the "speaker" outputs from your reciever you'll be putting amplified signal into an amplifer...which then inturn amplifies it again....this is assuming the amplifer will even do this as many will just cut out to prevent overload.

These are amplified computer speakers.....not home theatre speakers designed to be run off any amp. If you do however have an amp that you feel will not overpower them, then you should be able to connect the 4 speakers to your receiver/amp and connect the subwoofer to the sub preout on your receiver (since most subs are self amplified anyway). Your other option is if you have preouts for all 4 channels on your receiver, connect those to the sub and let the logitech amp take care of powering the speakers. However neither of these methods are recommended since most amps will overpower the speakers anyway.

There are products that will take a speaker level output and convert it to line level. I think these are commonly found in auto audio applications, or at least they used to be. I've used them in the past to create a ghetto home theater (back when no one had home theater, btw). Picture this, output of TV audio to input of 2 channel stereo. Output of 2 channel stereo to main speakers. Speaker level to line level device wired in parallel with main speakers. Line level output of device to another 2 channel stereo. Output of this 2 channel stereo to 2 12" passive subs. Anyway, pretty hack but sounded unusually good. They run around $20, I believe. Just be aware that the signal at the line level has an extra dose of distortion now that it has run through the amp section of your stereo. This will probably be unnoticeable on the Logitechs though. As nice as they are, we're not talking about audiophile quality here.

Just got these yesterday. They work with any stereo component with a headphone out jack, you may need the 1/8" headphone adapter. They sounded great hooked up to the headphone jack on my DVD player. For $115 delivered these were a great deal. To bad there are not more input/output options then I could have bought 2 sets and used one set for 2 channel stereo and the remaining speakers/sub for a 5.1 DD/DTS bedroom setup. I wonder how much the 5.1 version will cost.

guys and gals . would these make good home sterio speakers? for a small Studio Apt?

i have a sony DTS reciver. (dont worry i can bypass my amp) Ill wire it to the PRE out's

ive ben looking for small speaker's in this price range

I've heard that adding a 3 --> 2 prong AC adapter helps. The subwoofer must be picking RF interference and the input jack is acting like an antenna. Other than that, you might have a bad cable somewhere.

For anyone who's interested, I figured out that you can connect the z560 to a HT receiver using the subwoofer pre-out (w/ a Y-cable) or the preamp-outs (w/ a Y-cable). If you want a cheap receiver with preamp-outs and DD-decoding, trying the Sherwood 6090R for $150-200. I want Dolby Prologic II for simulated 5.1 sound for everything except DVDs, so I'm going to try either the Onkyo TX-DS494 or Kenwood VR-507 -- both have subwoofer pre-out -- for $300.

Since z560 can connect to an unamplified audio source, line-level (the preamp-outs and subwoofer pre-out) would be ideal. Or the headphone jack of another audio source (like CD player, TV set, VCR, portable stereo, etc.).

The z560 has 1/8" inputs for front and rear speakers.

I use a Y-cable (1/8" --> RCA red and white jacks) from Radio Shack. It costs like $2.50. If your TV doesn't have variable audio out, just use the audio out from the VCR. So basically:

antenna/TV cable from wall ---> RF in on VCR, RF out from VCR to tv set --> audio (red and white) out from VCR --> Y-cable --> subwoofer.

You might need some 1/8" --> 1/8" extension cord. It's like $10 for 25 feet from Radio Shack.

I'm not sure if you have the split the 1/8" jack from the Y-cable into 2 1/8" jacks so then you can connect to the front and rear if you want sound from all 4 speakers.

When connecting to any 2 channel source, use only the green plug and then use the M3D button to enable the rear speakers. That's mostly what it's for. The M3D processor will then provide a pseudo-surround sound effect for you. You could also use another Y and plug all 4 channels into your TV but then you'll only get 4 speaker stereo. BTW, if you adapt the 1/8" to RCA for a TV or something and you need an extension, make sure to extend the RCA cable rather than the 1/8" - RCA is much better shielded.

1st EMail Response: FROM RyogaHibiki. Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I got it to work, but it isn't an ideal solution and it got pretty messy, but it works-sorta...

1) Don't plug anything in until you're finished or you might blow out your speakers! (If my receiver didn't have a built-in surge protection-I would of kissed my speakers good bye).

2) Go to radio shack and get a female mini-plug input to L/R male output connector. Attach this to your front speakers mini-plug. Buy a short RCA cable and cut it in half. Splice each of the open wire ends so that it splits into two bare wires each (make sure they can't touch, otherwise they'll short out). You can then plug these wires into the wire connectors to your receiver.

3) Now you have a 2.1 setup that works pretty well. Unfortunately, the same trick doesn't quite work with the rear speakers since the receiver connectors aren't the same. So I pluged the rear speakers directly into my receiver.

4) Now comes the tweaking. You'll probably need to adjust the receiver volume with the speaker remote volume so that you can hear all the speakers. Also, if there isn't enough bass, the front speakers sound kinda 'tinny'.

Alot of people get credit for contributing. Sorry i didn't mention anyone but my eyes are going crazy right about NOW!!!

ANY input is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

BG

---

Moved from Hot Deals by AnandTech Moderator

DmK

Oct 25, 2001
Well... not to crap or anything....
but what is the point of hooking up the amplified speakers to the receiver at all? There is a 99% chance that your receiver is a better amp than the amp built-in into the speakers (unless your amp is KLH or something of that nature). By using line-level converters you are degrading quality even more... Look, 1st your amp adds distortion to your original sound source by amplifying it (it's not digital, so signal going through any amp, even $1000 one, will degrade the sound somewhat). Then, the radioshack line-level converters add even more distortions to the signal... and then you are amplifying the signal again using the amp in the Logitech speakers, which is most likely very bad (most computer speakers have 0.5-1% distortion). Perhaps, a better way would be to hook up the speakers directly to the outputs of the amplifier (by-passing the Logitech amp), but then what do you do with the sub... and then you sort of feel like wasting part of the $115 paid for the speakers... :)

I just don't see how these Logitech speakers are any better for home-theater system (considering you already have an amp), than say using 4 Polk speakers currently on sale at Circuit City for $39/each..... those can handle up to 150w RMS and do sound 100x better than Logitech assuming the amp is pretty good.

well... anyway... i just don't see the point of back-engineering computer speakers into A/V speakers (I can see a point of going the other way: taking some decent speakers, and hooking them up to computer).

bgJR

Nov 12, 2001
HEY DMK,

Not thread crapping.

Actually a very constructive point because I am sure we all are interested in learning something.

Thanks for the info,

BG

lispsux

Oct 10, 2001
these speakers arent worthy being hooked up to any reciever .....complete junk.

anyone noticed the freq responce on the sats? its like 300hz+

my promedias trash these. ya i own both

OH and my amp BLEW UP after 2 days of use on the z560s

good luck if you do try to get something working

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001

<< lipsux-

How did you connect the z560 to your receiver?
>>

LOL...
you're kidding right?

VTECxtc

Nov 27, 2001
hey!

where'd the original z560 thread go?!? was it gettin too big? LOL

bring it back mods!!!!!!

Ionizer

Dec 8, 1999
my question is this:

My speakers are on their way, and i dont have them ((maybe today?)
but i want to know:

(1) forgetting about having a receiver..... are these any good to hook up to a regular tv with surround sound?
(2) are these any good for hooking up to a regular fm/am/cd box just to give better sound?

prolly wont use it for either, maybe the TV, so just wondering

DmK

Oct 25, 2001
I am sure they will sound better than TV speakers, but you will not get any surround sound with these... these do not have pro-logic decoder built-in, so all it will do, is double stereo sound on 4 satellites, which will create an impression that the sound is not coming from the TV, but from the middle of the room, which will sound a little weird when you watch a movie or news. On the other hand, if you have a DVD player, and do not have the receiver, and your DVD player has built-in Dolby Digital or/and DTS decoder, then these speakers is a pretty good way of getting cheap system.... but you will be missing one channel (center).

well......
after all, i think computer speakers, are computer speakers....

dpid

Nov 20, 2001
if i were to do that, hook it up to DVD player (built in dolby digitial) then i would just hook up the speakers right... can't hook up the subwoofer?

DmK

Oct 25, 2001
actually, if your dvd player has dolby-digital decoder, than it has pre-outs for all 5 channels and the subwoofer... but since logitech doesn't have a separate subwoofer input.... it will try to extract low-frequencies from the main speaker and put them through the sub.... but the real subwoofer channel (encoded on the DVD) will be lost, as will be the center channel.... it's a bad bad idea... trust me... you don't wanna watch a movie without a center channel.

SirDrak0

Dec 11, 2001
Hrmm... it seems to me that the sat. speakers should be hooked up directly to the spakers...

THEN something needs to be done w/ the sub. Well, we have that DIN cable that connects from that control pod to the sub.. well.. I would think that one of the wires in that cable was the normal LINE LEVEL input to the sub (i'm guessing that control pod amplifies the line level a little and stuff like that)... So the problem is FINDING that wire and hooking it directly up to the receiver.

Now if I had a 2nd pair I would mess around with this idea... but I don't wanna lose my babies! hehe...

Anyone thought of this angle?

-SirDrak0

Wingster

Jan 23, 2001
What you talkin about? DD 5.1 movie without center channel is AWESOME!! Plug in a mic and you can do your own voice acting for the move ;D

linhpham2

Dec 13, 2001
Connect the 4 sats from z560 to the pre-outs on the DVD player. Then you could connect the subwoofer to the subwoofer pre-out on the DVD player using a Y-cable (thus "not losing the subwoofer channel). To compensate for a lack of a center channel, you can use your TV's internal speakers as a center channel. :D

If the DVD player won't power the sats, just reconnect them to the subwoofer and let the sub power the sats.

SirDrak0

Dec 11, 2001
but doing all these *things* means you still have to use the control pod to controll the volume right? If so... isn't that quite unwanted?

-SirDrak0

p.s. IT'S FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!! :D

linhpham2

Dec 13, 2001
Not really. Just set the volume on the control pod to what you want, then control the overall volume using the TV set.

huesmann

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
Why bother hooking these things up to your surround receiver when you can just get a cheapass KLH surround speaker set including sub for $100?