Logitech/Saitek Flight Yoke/Rudder Pedals

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I've been using an old joystick and decided to pay for the yoke and throttle quadrant when it went on sale last week. I picked it up for $149. It's not as nice as the honeycomb, but definitely usable.

I linked up the ailerons and rudder and flew like that, the same way I did on my old joystick with no rudder twist controls. Unfortunately, the yoke doesn't do as well with rudder control, likely because of sensitivity settings? Flying is great, but as soon as I land, I better be centered on the runway because the ailerons still have a lot of feedback until I slow down enough. Anyone know of a good setup guide? I mapped the red D button to brakes instead of autopilot, but I'll switch that back when I get the pedals.

You can pickup the Logitech right now on Newegg for $149 and there was a stackable Paypal offer for $15 off on my account. I'm crossing my fingers that they work alright and that my wife won't kill me.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I actually had a Saitek flight system for many years. During the lockdown I tried to hook it up again and play some sims. nothing worked.
rather than troubleshoot I sold it for 10 bucks. Yet another toy I thought I'd use frequently and didnt.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I actually had a Saitek flight system for many years. During the lockdown I tried to hook it up again and play some sims. nothing worked.
rather than troubleshoot I sold it for 10 bucks. Yet another toy I thought I'd use frequently and didnt.
I had an analog yoke setup that I just told my mom to scrap last year when she found it. I didn't use it much either, but probably got it around 1997.

I'm actually looking at mine as a means to mimic actual flying lessons I'm going to start taking. I did about 20 hours 12 years ago...so this setup is definitely nice for flying without paying $150-200/hr. I'm just waiting on cooler weather and to save up more money. I've got to pay off the last chunk of debt I've got with the help of my wife (meaning 2 of us working together). I've got a fund going now that I started last year to possibly use on an airplane purchase, but want another maintenance fund building as well that I can use for all of those costs. Hopefully all that will work out, I'd like to get a license and get instrument rated to be capable around low visibility situations, but not specifically bad weather.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Turtle Beach is releasing one in time for xbox MS Flight Sim release

View attachment 45853
My only gripe on the Xbox front is the limitations of having a TV setup. I mean, 60"+ screen is awesome, but console gaming isn't ideal for Sims unless it's parked at a desk or your driving/flying with a wireless controller.

That looks pretty cool how they made the throttles plug into the side of the yoke. I like the Saitek/Logitech, but had to mount it on a fold-up table I had. My next plan is to get a dedicated table and maybe see if I can come up with a USB extension and a 24" or larger display to connect to my PC with a 20' HDMI cable as a dedicated Sim station across from my desk.

I thought about getting the Xbox/Windows Thrustmaster Hotas setup last year @ $79 and didn't bite before inventory was gone.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
I'm still using a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 released in 98 and it's so old that it the bottom says made in Malaysia.
I think I bought it at CompUSA?

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I'm still using a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 released in 98 and it's so old that it the bottom says made in Malaysia.
I think I bought it at CompUSA?
I got my Logitech Wingman Force 3D from CompUSA. It was used on Flight Sim 2004-X, but the motor wasn't working right...and not sure if drivers work well with Windows 10. The old Saitek joystick I had worked, but no rudder and the plastic had a sticky substance on it out of storage...(took alcohol to clear that up)

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I meant to mention. I'm going to start real flying lessons soon again and am looking forward to seeing how close these controls are to the real thing. (Feel and feedback)

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Also, if/when you are looking for pedals, don't rule out looking at something like the MFG Crosswind. Sure, they are more expensive than almost all the others I have seen, but they also are by far some of the best I have ever had the privilege of using.

Dranoche

Jul 6, 2009
Also, if/when you are looking for pedals, don't rule out looking at something like the MFG Crosswind. Sure, they are more expensive than almost all the others I have seen, but they also are by far some of the best I have ever had the privilege of using.
I'll second this. Went from CH pedals to the Crosswinds and the improvement is well worth the cost.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I'm struggling now trying to keep the pedals from sliding on the floor. I'm likely going to find a piece of plywood and put some tacky carpet on the bottom that won't slide easily on hardwood floors.