Logic puzzle-Pirate Booty

silent tone

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Five pirates have 100 gold coins. they have to divide up the loot. in order of seniority (suppose pirate 5 is most senior, pirate 1 is least senior), the most senior pirate proposes a distribution of the loot. they vote and if at least 50% accept the proposal, the loot is divided as proposed. otherwise the most senior pirate is executed, and they start over again with the next senior pirate. what solution does the most senior pirate propose? assume they are very intelligent and extremely greedy (and that they would prefer not to die).

To make this possibly clearer, all live pirates can vote each time, and they aren't allowed to do anything else a regular pirate might do.

Wallydraigle

Banned
Nov 27, 2000
If they were both very intelligent and very greedy they wouldn't be pirates. If they were very greedy but not very intelligent they might be. If they were both they would be CEO's or or something. If I were very intelligent, and very greedy, and I found myself in a postion of seniority in a group of pirates, I would propose that we pool the booty and start a lucritive business, relevent to the time and locale. We could elect a leader, go into business together, and make more money legitimately than by robbing people, with less effort expended, and less risk.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: lirion
If they were both very intelligent and very greedy they wouldn't be pirates. If they were very greedy but not very intelligent they might be. If they were both they would be CEO's or or something. If I were very intelligent, and very greedy, and I found myself in a postion of seniority in a group of pirates, I would propose that we pool the booty and start a lucritive business, relevent to the time and locale. We could elect a leader, go into business together, and make more money legitimately than by robbing people, with less effort expended, and less risk.

Yeah but then you don't get to shiver your timbers and avast yer mateys. :(

nik

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Ameesh
Originally posted by: zzzz
33 % each for 3 topmost pirates and 0.5 % ea for rest?

i agree

just to be clear i was thinking 1/3 for each of the top three pirates and nothing for the last 2, and if the problem doesnt allow for a coin to be split then 1 coin to 4th place

johneetrash

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
has anyone had pirates booty before? it's sooo good.

btw pirates booty is like some sort of cheese popcorn.. i never got pirate booty like that or anything :p

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: johneetrash

btw pirates booty is like some sort of cheese popcorn.. i never got pirate booty like that or anything :p

the white chedder one is good, the veggie booty is nasty!

johneetrash

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Ameesh
Originally posted by: johneetrash

the white chedder one is good, the veggie booty is nasty!

haha yah veggie booty is gross.. have u had fruity booty? lol hahaha

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
remonds me of the pirate joke.

A pirate walks into a bar with a steering wheel hanging out of his fly.
the bartender says to him "hey buddy, you got a steering wheel attached to your crotch" the pirate says "Arrr. It be driving me nuts"