lock pse

• Thread starter Deleted member 4644
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4644

Thanks for the feedback guys I needed a quick hypothetical ethical test. That is all

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
So what you're saying is, their asses can get fired at any time for any reason of your choice, so the only thing they can publish as a columnist is what you tell them to, because anything out of line means their ass is fired? Sounds like a great job to me :p

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
This part is complete bullsh!t:

"I realize that the editors of the ****** may choose to terminate me for actions which were at one point in time considered acceptable?even if the editors do not alert me of any new policy change. This understanding is necessary because different specific situations may subtly change the significance of my actions or speech, and it is possible that a ex post facto review of my actions will reveal an ethical violation I was not aware of while committing the action. The ****** editors will have sole authority to determine if my actions or speech constitute a violation of journalistic ethics. "

After you do something that is acceptable, some editor gets a bug up his ass, decides it wasn't right after all, and you get canned? wtf.

In any case, you need to have an agreement like this written (or at the very least reviewed by) an attorney. If you do it yourself you're just asking for a wrongful termination lawsuit.

D

Deleted member 4644

Originally posted by: PipBoy

"I realize that the editors of the ****** may choose to terminate me for actions which were at one point in time considered acceptable?even if the editors do not alert me of any new policy change. This understanding is necessary because different specific situations may subtly change the significance of my actions or speech, and it is possible that a ex post facto review of my actions will reveal an ethical violation I was not aware of while committing the action. The ****** editors will have sole authority to determine if my actions or speech constitute a violation of journalistic ethics. "

After you do something that is acceptable, some editor gets a bug up his ass, decides it wasn't right after all, and you get canned? wtf.

In any case, you need to have an agreement like this written (or at the very least reviewed by) an attorney. If you do it yourself you're just asking for a wrongful termination lawsuit.

The reason I need that part (in my mind at least) is that a columnist could potentially do something "not so bad" one time, and do the same action again, in a slightly different situation, and really light a fire under my ass. For example, using the "N" word at a private party might not actually cause *that* many problems. But using it in a public speech clearly would. Technically its a somewhat similar action.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Originally posted by: LordSegan
Originally posted by: PipBoy

The reason I need that part (in my mind at least) is that a columnist could potentially do something "not so bad" one time, and do the same action again, in a slightly different situation, and really light a fire under my ass. For example, using the "N" word at a private party might not actually cause *that* many problems. But using it in a public speech clearly would. Technically its a somewhat similar action.

Ok, but that isn't what you wrote. The contract says " may choose to terminate me for actions which were at one point in time considered acceptable". That says that you may be canned for an action in the past which was at one point deemed acceptable. No mention of repeating that action.