Lock... my intention was not to garner sympathy from anyone

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: glenn1
It just hit me like a 16-wheeler that most of the hate and resentment in the world (whether justified or not) revolves around us. And that scares me.

No it doesn't. Name a group on the face of the earth, and i can find another group that hates the first group for no reason whatsoever. Hutus committed genocide on Tutsis in Rwanda, Tutsis committed genocide on Hutus in Burundi, the Armenian genocide in Turkey, the massacre of the Sikhs in India back in 1984, the Spanish completely annihilating the Incan people.... i can think of dozens of groups which are hated and have been brutalized just as badly as the Jews over the years. A very sad statement indeed, but true.

Oh, and BTW, it's an 18-wheeler, not 16 ;)

They used to make 16 wheelers. ;)

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
I am suprised that this flamebait hasn't been locked yet. That new Mod they have on duty must be sleeping.
;)

dszd0g

Golden Member
Jun 14, 2000
Every time I visit the off topic forum, I get shocked by how ignorant the Anandtech community is as a whole. Have the people who voted yes ever even met a Jew?
Had one as a friend?

Sorry, it does come as a bit of a shock that 35% of a fellow communitry feels that the world would be a better place without me. I have never stolen anything other than software, I have never hit anyone other than in self defense, yet somehow I am a violent person?

I really am curious what the death toll attributed to the "Christian God" is. There was the Holy Roman Empire, the Crusades (including some of the lesser known like the Albigensian with a death toll estimated at one-million), the Reformation, the Spanish Inquisition, Protestant vs. Catholic, Huguenot masacres (like Saint Bartholomew's), the witch trials (estimated at 300,000 in Europe), and missionaries. That doesn't include things like the Black Death scapegoating (estimated 50,000).

Maybe I am looking at it the wrong way and those people that answered yes, don't like religion at all. Would those people who said yes to this question, have answered "yes" to "If all the Christian people (all 2 billion) vanished from the face of the earth tomorrow, would the world be a more peaceful place?"

I personally wouldn't like to see either happen.

Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
I am suprised that this flamebait hasn't been locked yet. That new Mod they have on duty must be sleeping.
;)
This thread is not intended to be flamebait.

Aceshigh

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2002
My world almanac lists the jewish population at ~14 million. Given their influence in global and US politics, finance, and the media, I expected the numbers to be greater.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Every time I visit the off topic forum, I get shocked by how ignorant the Anandtech community is as a whole. Have the people who voted yes ever even met a Jew?
Had one as a friend?

Sorry, it does come as a bit of a shock that 35% of a fellow communitry feels that the world would be a better place without me. I have never stolen anything other than software, I have never hit anyone other than in self defense, yet somehow I am a violent person?

You're thinking too much my friend, IMHO. The opinion of idiots about your value as a person is absolutely worthless and unworthy of consideration. It's called a gratuitous assertion in logic. They hate you without any basis of consideration, therefore it's perfectly acceptable to completely ignore their worthless ass opinion without giving it any basis of consideration in turn. Not only is it acceptable, it's entirely proper.

Oh, BTW, all those checking yes, why don't you show your faces and tell us who you are and defend your position, you lameass pieces of racist sh!t?

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
I voted yes because there be less people and there for less people to kill and get killed. Now if 13.2 random people vanished from the face of the earth would the reducetion in violence be greater then or less then if the 13.2 Jews vanished. My guess is the currently Jews compared to other religios group are involed in more violence then the other major religions

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Spencer278
I voted yes because there be less people and there for less people to kill and get killed. Now if 13.2 random people vanished from the face of the earth would the reducetion in violence be greater then or less then if the 13.2 Jews vanished. My guess is the currently Jews compared to other religios group are involed in more violence then the other major religions

More than Arab extremists? You have to be sh!tting me. Sorry but I don't think taken any race or culture off of the world is going to prove anything.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: dszd0g
Had one as a friend?

I really am curious what the death toll attributed to the "Christian God" is. There was the Holy Roman Empire, the Crusades (including some of the lesser known like the Albigensian with a death toll estimated at one-million), the Reformation, the Spanish Inquisition, the witch trials (estimated at 300,000 in Europe), and missionaries.

Maybe I am looking at it the wrong way and those people that answered yes, don't like religion at all. Would those people who said yes to this question, have answered "yes" to "If all the Christian people (all 2 billion) vanished from the face of the earth tomorrow, would the world be a more peaceful place?"

I personally wouldn't like to see either happen.

I would have still answered "yes" to your other question. People like you just don't bother to look at the question objectively, you don't rely on your thoughts, but on your feelings.

Fact is, the world would become more peaceful if any group (religious/racial/idealogical) that is involved in ANY conflict is removed. Hindus: yes. Christians: yes. Jews: yes. Chechens:yes. Liberals: yes. Republicans: yes. I could go on forever.
With less diversity there is less reason for conflict, hatred etc. If we were all the same (same colour, same beliefs etc) what would we have to fight over?

So there you have the reasoning behind my answer.

I'm affraid everyone that answered "no" was simply concerned with Vespasians feelings :)roll;) than with the question...

Aceshigh

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2002
I have to say one thing. After 9/11 I noticed several jewish people saying things like "Welcome to our world United States, we have lived through terrorism for many years" and things of a similar arrogant nature. What these people fail to realise is that 9/11 happened as a result of our support of Israel. Osama Bin laden and his terrorists would not have attacked us otherwise, they would have no need to. Their stated purpose is the destruction of the jewish state in israel, and they attack the US because of our support for it. I am not saying we should not support Israel. It is the right thing to do and we should never back down. I just feel that Israelis and jews should be appreciative of our efforts and realise what we have sacrificed for it, (and it should be said that most are). Most Israelis know that without the US they would be up a creek without a paddle. It's just the idiots making stupid comments that pissed me off.
Would the world be a more peaceful place if the jews were removed? The answer is clearly yes. Should it be that way? Of course not.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: glenn1
Had one as a friend?

You're thinking too much my friend, IMHO. The opinion of idiots about your value as a person is absolutely worthless and unworthy of consideration. It's called a gratuitous assertion in logic. They hate you without any basis of consideration, therefore it's perfectly acceptable to completely ignore their worthless ass opinion without giving it any basis of consideration in turn. Not only is it acceptable, it's entirely proper.

Oh, BTW, all those checking yes, why don't you show your faces and tell us who you are and defend your position, you lameass pieces of racist sh!t?

I posted my answer before you did. My face? well here is an old pic if you want to see my fact that badly...

The problem with people like you is that you automatically assume I said "yes" because I am an anti-semite (which is exactly the reaction Vespasian wanted from you). The problem is, you and your friend are not thinking enough.

Now, did I say anywhere that the world would become a better place without Jews? Did I say I actualy wanted that to happen? Did I say anywhere that I hated jews because they were jews?
FSCK NO, but of course, that doesn't stop idiots like you from mangling my words.

In the end, your poorly formulated opinion is the worthless one, not mine.

dszd0g

Golden Member
Jun 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Aceshigh
Given their influence in global and US politics, finance, and the media, I expected the numbers to be greater.

There is an example of a stereotype. As far as finance goes, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saint's (Mormon, research "Corporation of the Presiding Bishops of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints" for more information), and Lutheran Church have much much more influence than Jews do.

If you have a local Jewish temple (in most of the country the Jewish community holds services in people homes, because it does not have the money for a temple), take a look at it and then compare it to the Churchs around. Tell me which one you think has more money.

Your statement almost mimics the 1920s anti-Jewish campaign waged by the Dearborn Independent (backed by Henry Ford) and The Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion. Those statements are spread to make people hate and/or fear Jews.

Historically Jews have always been accused of running politics and finance. If the Jews really had any influence do you think the Holocost would have happened? If Henry Ford's statements were actually true, do you think we would have waited for Perl Harbor to join WWII? If Jews had influence, one would get the Jewish holidays off from school and work.

It simply isn't true. Are there any other stereotypes you would like me to debunk?

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Millennium
Originally posted by: Spencer278

More than Arab extremists? You have to be sh!tting me. Sorry but I don't think taken any race or culture off of the world is going to prove anything.

Well depends if you going by per capita or over all. Over all I have no Idea, but look at Isreal with about 5 million Jews or just under 40% of the world population of Jewish people. With the war going on there and the palistain tatic of Suicide bombing the Isreal has to be less or at best equal to Arabs when you compare victim rates. Jews don't start violence but I can't see how you would disagree about them being more involed per capita.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
More peaceful for a time, but that's talking techincal peace. Less war, for a while, since it would mean the war in the Middle East would ebb briefly. But it wouldn't be any good kind of peace, or lasting. And it definitely wouldn't make the world a better place, like some people I know would assert.

Aceshigh

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2002
Given their influence in global and US politics, finance, and the media, I expected the numbers to be greater.

There is an example of a stereotype. As far as finance goes, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saint's (Mormon, research "Corporation of the Presiding Bishops of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints" for more information), and Lutheran Church have much much more influence than Jews do.

If you have a local Jewish temple (in most of the country the Jewish community holds services in people homes, because it does not have the money for a temple), take a look at it and then compare it to the Churchs around. Tell me which one you think has more money.

Your statement almost mimics the 1920s anti-Jewish campaign waged by the Dearborn Independent (backed by Henry Ford) and The Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion. Those statements are spread to make people hate and/or fear Jews.

Historically Jews have always been accused of running politics and finance. If the Jews really had any influence do you think the Holocost would have happened? If Henry Ford's statements were actually true, do you think we would have waited for Perl Harbor to join WWII? If Jews had influence, one would get the Jewish holidays off from school and work.

It simply isn't true. Are there any other stereotypes you would like me to debunk?

Judaism, a religion with such a small following, had their own country created for them by the British, and now are receiving the unfledging support of the most powerful country in the world, the United States. I think that shows quite a bit of influence.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000

Disclaimer: The following is not anti-semetic. Any perceived anti-semitism is purely the result of the reader's interpretation and not the author's intent. The following is also a question because of the author's lack of knowledge in this area. (it seems I wil have to include one of these in all my posts from now on...
rolleye.gif
. )

I heard that 10% of the Senate is Jewish. Is this true?

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Vespasian
I'm affraid everyone that answered "no" was simply concerned with Vespasians feelings :)roll than with the question...
Since when do people on ATOT give a damn about my feelings? :confused:

Well you did manage to get 52.44% to feel sorry for you, so I guess there are plenty of people who out there who care about your poor little feelings.

Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: MartyTheManiak
I'm affraid everyone that answered "no" was simply concerned with Vespasians feelings :)roll than with the question...

Well you did manage to get 52.44% to feel sorry for you, so I guess there are plenty of people who out there who care about your poor little feelings.
What's with the attitude? I didn't call you any names.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000

What's with the attitude? I didn't call you any names.

I didn't call you any names either, but you periodically post these dumb threads, which are usually asked as to evoke certain feelings in people.

dszd0g

Golden Member
Jun 14, 2000
I have to say one thing. After 9/11 I noticed several jewish people saying things like "Welcome to our world United States, we have lived through terrorism for many years" and things of a similar arrogant nature. What these people fail to realise is that 9/11 happened as a result of our support of Israel. Osama Bin laden and his terrorists would not have attacked us otherwise, they would have no need to. Their stated purpose is the destruction of the jewish state in israel, and they attack the US because of our support for it. I am not saying we should not support Israel. It is the right thing to do and we should never back down. I just feel that Israelis and jews should be appreciative of our efforts and realise what we have sacrificed for it, (and it should be said that most are). Most Israelis know that without the US they would be up a creek without a paddle. It's just the idiots making stupid comments that pissed me off.
Actually, I have seen a lot of the media research into whether it would have happened if we did not suppor Israel. I wonder whether they were hoping to find that Israel was the cause or not. But reguardless, what was found is that Israel is rather irrelevent to the whole thing. We are hated by approximately 70% of the world, and that has nothing to do with Israel. We are the bullies of the world, and that is why other countries hate us. They don't do what we say because they like us, they do what we say because they are afraid of us. In the middle east we are hated because we kill innocent civilians and children all in the name of oil. They hate Israel, because they don't want it to exist and Israelis kill Palestinians (and vice versa). In the scope of things it doesn't matter that we support someone else who kills them, because we kill them. Wouldn't you hate someone who kills your family/friends whether or not they support someone else who kills their family/friends?

Afghanastan has had long US military involvement. We used Afghanastan as pawns in our war against Russia. We set up terrorist training camps to help them fight the Russians. link (Guess what, the link doesn't mention Israel). Once we were done using them, we left them. They begged us to stay and help them recover, we left anyways. That alone was enough to make them hate us. This continued until recently, It wasn't until 1992 that the US and Russian finally agreed that they would stop supporting different factions in Afghanistan (link, this one doesn't mention Israel being an issue either). They have plenty of reason to hate us reguardless of Israel.

[Edit:
I also find it interesting that while both Russian and some European countries have issued statements of a "similar arrogant nature," you don't bring those up? Most other "first world" countries have had problems with terrorism for a while, our media just tends not to pay attention to it. It is actually quite amazing that it has taken this long to get to the US.
]

bizmark

Banned
Feb 4, 2002
I heard that 10% of the Senate is Jewish. Is this true?

It was until Wellstone died.

Barbara Boxer (D-CA)
Dianne Feinstein (D-CA)
Joseph Lieberman (D-CN)
Carl Levin (D-MI)
Charles Schumer (D-NY)
Ron Wyden (D-OR)
Arlen Specter (R-PA)
Russell Feingold (D-WI)
Herb Kohl (D-WI)

makes 9. In the links above, "Religious affiliation" is listed under "XX on Principles & Values" roughly 1/2way down the page.

Don't ask me to do that for the House ;)

BTW Marty don't turn this into a flame war. You'll only get this thread locked.

dolph

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001
people can answer yes or no to this question regardless of how they feel towards jews. the question isn't "if the jewish people vanished, would the world be more peaceful and if so should we kill them?" however, the question is still faulty. jews have been involved in hundreds of conflicts throughout thousands of years, and it only seems to keep getting worse. if jews didn't exist anymore, there would probably be about 3 seconds of peace before new conflicts started to emerge. the source of the conflict isn't one individual group, it's everyone. so maybe the world would be a more peaceful place if the jews vanished tomorrow, but the day after it would start to become just as bad again.