Lochness monster proves the theory of evolution is wrong

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Money is allocated for children regardless for education, children are forced to have an education, why can't the parents be allowed to allocate the funds that were set aside for their child as they see fit? PS Voucher programs have worked EXCELLENTLY in places like Washington DC where they helped elevate the reading level of hundreds of students.

Absolutely people should have school choice and not be forced to have their children go to the school deemed acceptable by the State. The whole reason we have a bill of rights is to protect the individual from the State.

Because its not just their money. The entire community has invested in that child's education. Why should the parents just get to take their neighbor's tax dollars and waste it teaching their child nonsense? Parents can make their kids stupid for free, or on their own dime.

The return on investment for the community is educated, intelligent and talented students who can enter the workforce and build wealth and attract employers for himself and the community.

Stupid, miseducated children will not build the human capital the community needs to grow and prosper.

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Fuck you back, you dont get to drag down the public eduction system because you are too stupid to understand the consequences of your actions.

You have choice Public School, Private school or home school.
Dimwits discount where education was in this country prior to the last 60 years, it was fucking awful. You want to take us back there and I won’t let you! So get fucked.
You might want to actually read some of the preserved letters from World War II or the Great War - or for that matter, from the Civil War.

And then there's this part...
My father told me a story about his father taking him to hear some Klan leaders speak at a recruiting rally and said they emphasized protecting the family, American traditions, etc. Nobody believed them because in a small town everybody knows what you do, no matter what you SAY you do.

As far as the OP - must be the very definition of Hell to have this huge beast that totally proves your point and you juuuust can't quite ever lay your hands on it . . .

EDIT: Reminds me in a way of of Sirhan Sirhan claiming that RFK would have paroled him. Man, what rotten luck! The one man who would let you out . . .

Last edited:

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
If public schools had some competition, the education our children receive would probably improve.

Why not open schools up to competition? If ford, GM, dodge, toyota,,, can compete, why not schools?

Who says they don't compete already? A resident of a district can have strong influence as a voter as opposed to a shareholder in a for-profit corporation.

Home values are often heavily influenced by the school district. If the schools are bad, the wealthy people move away to better areas. Great schools drive more buyers into their district.

Home values rise, more talented people (parents) with better paying jobs move in, and employers will follow to where the best workers are. The increased wealth with spawn new businesses to cater to the prosperous community. Its a virtuous circle already.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
This is an anecdotal story passed onto me by a parent of a teacher who works in the inner city.

There was a girl, 12 or so, who was seen with a knife in the lunchroom. She was showing it to others and said that she was going to stab another student. One of those reported this to the principles office. She said that another girl had insulted her and was going to use it to pay her back. They had her mother come in and as you might expect she was livid and yelled at her daughter. Not about what she was going to do, but "what did I tell you! If you are going to stick someone do it, don't talk about it." Considering the source and the school it's entirely plausible.

What did the "bad" teachers do to create this situation, how should they punish him or her and what program should the school district use to prevent this kind of thinking? I'm keen to know.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Hasn't it already been proven there is not enough food in Loch Ness to support a creature the size of Nessie? That it would have starved to death a long, long time ago if it ever actually existed?

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
There was a girl, 12 or so, who was seen with a knife in the lunchroom. She was showing it to others and said that she was going to stab another student. One of those reported this to the principles office. She said that another girl had insulted her and was going to use it to pay her back. They had her mother come in and as you might expect she was livid and yelled at her daughter. Not about what she was going to do, but "what did I tell you! If you are going to stick someone do it, don't talk about it." Considering the source and the school it's entirely plausible.

My wife and I know a local high school teacher. One day the teacher was talking to the students about what they wanted to do after they finished high school.

One student raised his hand and said "I want to be like my dad, and get my monthly check in the mail".

Who says they don't compete already? A resident of a district can have strong influence as a voter as opposed to a shareholder in a for-profit corporation.

What competition?

Its not like the kids can go to another school district.

Home values are often heavily influenced by the school district. If the schools are bad, the wealthy people move away to better areas. Great schools drive more buyers into their district.

Have you ever talked to a realtor? Regardless of how crappy the school district is, the realtor trys to hype it up.

Where I grew up at (in southeast Texas) there are around half a dozen small communities. Regardless of what community you are looking at, they have the best school district around.

Home prices in groves are high because groves has such good schools.

9 miles from groves, home prices in bridge city are so high because bridge city has such good schools.

9 miles from bridge city, home prices in little cypress are high because little cypress schools are so good,,,,, repeat for every community.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2004
If God is the creator and we were made in his vision, wouldn't that prove that evolution actually works backwards ... I mean how we can't create living things and all?

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
Here in Ohio, we constantly have for profit charter schools in the news. Interesting news about failing to keep proper student records, failure to account for various funds, failure to follow local and state laws on their structure and administration, etc.. It seems too easy to game the system. The legal process addressing these things is slow and the penalties are low.

Parents that pay for private schooling demand that they get quality for their money and create competition. People who get vouchers, not so much.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Well that tears it, between Kirk Cameron's piercing insight on bananas and this informative piece on Nessie, I'm convinced this whole "science" thing mixed with secular humanism is false and clearly a waste of time.

Whew! I feel so much better now.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
This is funny.

What I would say about the supposed theory of evolution is "So What?" Lets say I said I could go along with evolution, then what? What good is this belief in species morphing into other species? What problems does it solve? So what and who cares???

Last edited:

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
It never ceases to amaze me at the lengths that creationists go to to legitimize their myth. Latching onto Nessie as proof? Give me a break.

As far as schooling, charter schools are a band-aid on a gaping wound. In metro areas you could never build/open enough of them to make a difference. The public school system does need overhaul in critical areas but shouldn't be scrapped entirely. Private schooling will get you better educated kids but is a financial hardship if not impossibility for large segments of society. Home schooling may be an option but we'll have significant amounts of children who are great at the three R's and more then a few of them will have been fed the creationism lie. Not too mention most of the home schooled will have almost nonexistent social interaction skills which makes them a liability to businesses looking for interns and/or employees.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
Baloney. It's because private schools here produce better results than public schools. To isolate one example of a retarded private school and use it to project on private schooling as a whole is silly.

Baloney.

Most of the public schools in the better part of Bergen County (NJ) beat the CRAP out of ALL the private schools for miles around.

What should be looked at is the parents willingness to participate, but this is a major topic detour....

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Strange how you think that only (R)s are relignuts. Obama has an extremely large Xtian, homophobic, gun-loving base. Thankfully they are just better at not wanting to create policy based on that garbage.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK OCGuy, you have convinced me, if somehow I am wrong and Sarah Palin fails to ride into the 2012 GOP national convention astride a T-Rex, I will welcome my new garbage overlords.

But then I will be confused and unsure, will I will be welcoming my old democratic garbage overlords or my old Republican garbage overlords?

mattpegher

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2006
I will reitterate my position on intelligent design,
Intelligent design is inconsistant with the concept of an omnipotent omniscient god.

An omnipotent omniscient god would not need to change or tweek his creation in order to obtain the result that he wished. The analogy I use is a trick shot in pool. If you set it up right it will go as planned.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
My wife and I know a local high school teacher. One day the teacher was talking to the students about what they wanted to do after they finished high school.

One student raised his hand and said "I want to be like my dad, and get my monthly check in the mail".

What competition?

Its not like the kids can go to another school district.

Have you ever talked to a realtor? Regardless of how crappy the school district is, the realtor trys to hype it up.

Where I grew up at (in southeast Texas) there are around half a dozen small communities. Regardless of what community you are looking at, they have the best school district around.

In the middle of buying my 3rd house. One would have to be rather foolish and hired a bad Realtor if they feed you hype and you just buy it up. There is plenty of places to get quality information on schools, not to mention just talking between parents of their school experiences.

Where I am living now, there is def a premium in housing to be in the prime school district. Also know other parents who are/were teachers and they also want to teach in the best districts with the good students, not down in the city with the homicidal sociopaths and future gang members. Its work to get in.

So how does going to a privatized model fix your example? He gets a voucher and suddenly is inspired to be Nobel laureate? Don't think so.
The University of Phoenix and other diploma factories are superior educational institutions just because they are free-market based, for-profit, publicly traded companies?

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Crocodiles have been about the same for past few million years, why did they choose the Loch Ness monster to make the case? Having live dinosaurs doesn't do anything to disprove evolution, in fact it would counter the claim that fossils were placed there by God to test us.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I will reitterate my position on intelligent design,
Intelligent design is inconsistant with the concept of an omnipotent omniscient god.

An omnipotent omniscient god would not need to change or tweek his creation in order to obtain the result that he wished. The analogy I use is a trick shot in pool. If you set it up right it will go as planned.

How do you know evolution isn't part of the trick? Creation itself is pretty bizarre that it's understandable to attribute to a deity but if you want to understand it, it doesn't help. It just pushes the question one level up, where did God come from, where did he exist before the universe was created.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
This is funny.

What I would say about the supposed theory of evolution is "So What?" Lets say I said I could go along with evolution, then what? What good is this belief in species morphing into other species? What problems does it solve? So what and who cares???

If your going to discount evolution because it doesn't jive with you world view, what other science are you going to ignore because you don't agree with the findings?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Fuck you back, you dont get to drag down the public eduction system because you are too stupid to understand the consequences of your actions.

You have choice Public School, Private school or home school.
Dimwits discount where education was in this country prior to the last 60 years, it was fucking awful. You want to take us back there and I won’t let you! So get fucked.

Yeah..... Check out the quality of education most Louisiana public schools deliver. Its borderline child abuse imo to send your kids to some public schools in this state because there is almost no chance they will get anything resembling a decent education..... but I am with you, fuck them poor bastards. Their kids don't need shit like math and reading to cut my lawn or pickup my garbage and the register at McDonalds already tells them how much change to give me.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Lochness monster proves the theory of evolution is wrong

Christian zealots at it again, this time in Louisiana

===============================================
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...e-using-nessie-to-disprove-evolution.17918511

How American fundamentalist schools are using Nessie to disprove evolution

IT sounds like a plot dreamed up by the creators of Southpark, but it's all true: schoolchildren in Louisiana are to be taught that the Loch Ness monster is real in a bid by religious educators to disprove Darwin's theory of evolution.

Thousands of children in the southern state will receive publicly-funded vouchers for the next school year to attend private schools where Scotland's most famous mythological beast will be taught as a real living creature.

These private schools follow a fundamentalist curriculum including the Accelerated Christian Education (ACE) programme to teach controversial religious beliefs aimed at disproving evolution and proving creationism.

The courses are based around the Accelerated Christian Education (ACE) programme, which originated in Texas in the 1970s.
Pupils study a range of subjects, including science and English, but spend half their studies learning from Bible-influenced US textbooks.

=====================================================
After working in Louisiana for close to 7 years, I expect no less.

I'm sure just about every Rich Religious Radical Republican Right winger on here supports this and also Fox News, Rush, Hannity, Levin et al.

I'm sure President Romney will help convert all of the country for them.

This originated in Texas and spreading like the western wild fires.

This is the new face of America as evidenced by the posts in here.

Very sad :(

mattpegher

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2006
How do you know evolution isn't part of the trick? Creation itself is pretty bizarre that it's understandable to attribute to a deity but if you want to understand it, it doesn't help. It just pushes the question one level up, where did God come from, where did he exist before the universe was created.

I am a bit confused about your response. Yes evolution is part of the trick shot. If a god exists then this "supreme being" would have to be able to set up the system through a process that we call evolution to produce any end result.

The discussion on the whether god exists can be made moot since the creationists and intelligent design people are trying to use this BS "evidence" to prove god's existence. So to short circuit there argument, I propose that their definition of god is incompatable with their theory of intelligent design.

Last edited:

mattpegher

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2006
This is funny.

I care, as a physician, and biochemist/biophysicist, the theory of evolution not only explains finding in humans but also predicts both pathology and therapy.

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
Not everyone has that choice dip shit and the money was ALREADY PUT ASIDE FOR THE CHILD . If Public schools can't do a good enough job, then fuck them starve them of money.

So if a crack addicted momma decides 'the school can't do a good enough job' and decides to 'home school' then vouchers should be paid to her right?

That money was set aside for HER kids and no one gets to tell her how to spend it.