Local NJ gym owner plan to reopen on Monday dispite threats from Murphy to stay closed.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I don't necessarily agree with this, but I understand the frustration of not being able to open. My parents were also small business owners for many years, and they didn't have a ton of money put away for an emergency like this pandemic. Margins were always tight, and they could never stay closed for 1 week, let alone 2 plus months. Many small businesees are on the verge of going out of business. Also, he does make a point. Why are large businesses able to stay open, and skirt the 25 customer limit rule? I visited WaWa just yesterday and immediately left. The store was PACKED. Social distancing was non existent. People were standing very close to one another. The parking lot was PACKED, and their gas pumps were at least 2 cars deep. That is on 10 pumps. Many of the customers weren't wearing masks at the pumps. I also didn't know that cigarettes and hoagies were considered essential either. Inside was a mad house. I live at the shore and Memorial Day is just around the corner. There are so many people here. SMH...

I also think it's redicilous that restaurants are allowed to serve liquor for takeout. This is just only going to encourage consumption while driving. It's just a stupid idea. The boardwalk is now open. Along with the beach. The boardwalk is open because the mayor has a few businesses on the boardwalk. You see. All you need to do is follow the money. People are so gullible. My hairstylist was forced to close, yet the dog grooming business is allowed to stay open. Supposedly, Murphy has a relative who owns a dog grooming business. Just follow the money.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Our business is essentially being strangled to death,” he said in a phone interview.
"We much prefer that our customers risk death while paying us.

The business opened June 1 last year, but coming up on its first anniversary, the situation is dire with no membership fees collected during the closure and small business loans coming up short.
In other news, brand new business struggles to make ends meet.

Zero fucks given. Businesses fail all the time. Business owners know the risks. When they get booted from the space, someone else will take over.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
"We much prefer that our customers risk death while paying us.

In other news, brand new business struggles to make ends meet.

Zero fucks given. Businesses fail all the time. Business owners know the risks. When they get booted from the space, someone else will take over.

True, but what about large businesses who skirt the pandemic law? They aren't doing much to limit the amount of customers in their stores.

It seems that big businesses are allowed to do what they want, while small store ownrs suffer.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
True, but what about large businesses who skirt the pandemic law? They aren't doing much to limit the amount of customers in their stores.

It seems that big businesses are allowed to do what they want, while small store ownrs suffer.

Which ones?
What large business are you talking about and how have they instituted policies at the top level to skirt pandemic law?

Let me know and I'll make a couple of phone calls.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Which ones?
What large business are you talking about and how have they instituted policies at the top level to skirt pandemic law?

Let me know and I'll make a couple of phone calls.

Have you been to a local Walmart lately? When I was at my local Walmart there were many people close together.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Have you been to a local Walmart lately? When I was at my local Walmart there were many people close together.

Walmart?
How has Walmart instituted policies to skirt rules?

I have 2 Walmarts that are in spitting distance.
One is a complete train wreck staffed by people whose motto "IDGAF" what policies are.
The other is staffed by seemingly nice people who "try" have to walk through a parking lot filled with drig addicts and trumpets with missing teeth and cigarrett breath.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
NJ gym opens. Police didn't do squat except to say "have a nice day."

My guess is the police didn't want to get involved and start a possible riot. There were a lot of people at that gym to support the owners.

If this is truly a success, my guess is more businesses in NJ will start to push their luck as well.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
All this is inevitable in a competitive society. In a communal setting everybody depends on everybody else and good is what serves as many as can be helped. Suffering and bounty get shared.