Llano - when will we start seeing reviews?

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
By several accounts, AMD is currently shipping Llano APUs to manufacturers. When do you guys think we'll start seeing reviews?

Also, how do you think it will perform relative to a K10? Is a 10% boost clock-for-clock too high of an expectation?

I think we'll see them hit 4.2ghz or so, and I think they'll turn out to be awesome budget CPUs for the majority of people who only need basic graphics. As a matter of fact, they'll probably make good laptop CPUs as well.

Vesku

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2005
I think it will be similar to Zacate and we won't see reviews until the first early laptops ship. Must be frustrating for the AMD engineers to see OEMs so cautious about launching products that have so far turned out to be very solid competition to Intel in their market space.

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
I doubt we'll be seeing review anytime soon because I see the Llano would be at it's best in the notebook market. Till an OEM announces they have a new Fusion laptop, we're not going to get a glimpse of Llano's performance.

Tuna-Fish

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2011
Also, how do you think it will perform relative to a K10? Is a 10% boost clock-for-clock too high of an expectation?

10% more IPC? Probably yes. IPC isn't what I'm waiting for from Llano. By all accounts, the process AMD is using for phenoms is quite pathetic when compared to the Intel ones (it's more comparable to Intel 65nm than Intel 45nm, and Intel has had 32nm out for how long now?), while the upcoming 32nm process will be more or less comparable with Intel 32nm.

So, expect a huge increase in performance/watt, mostly from running at higher clock speed at lower power consumption.

Vesku

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2005
Thuban 45nm doesn't seem like Intel 65nm to me, process tech is mostly separate from IPC. Seems like cost/process might be part of the reason behind AMD's cache disadvantages to Intel's but there are design differences that make it hard to figure out.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
10% more IPC? Probably yes. IPC isn't what I'm waiting for from Llano. By all accounts, the process AMD is using for phenoms is quite pathetic when compared to the Intel ones (it's more comparable to Intel 65nm than Intel 45nm, and Intel has had 32nm out for how long now?), while the upcoming 32nm process will be more or less comparable with Intel 32nm.

So, expect a huge increase in performance/watt, mostly from running at higher clock speed at lower power consumption.
Isn't Llano still made on the 40nm node?

Tuna-Fish

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2011
Thuban 45nm doesn't seem like Intel 65nm to me,
Look at the data I linked -- the GF 45nm is faster than Intel 65nm, but not by very much. GF 32nm should be almost as much better than GF 45nm as Intel 32nm was better than Intel 65nm.
process tech is mostly separate from IPC.

Well, yes. Your point?

Vesku

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2005
Look at the data I linked -- the GF 45nm is faster than Intel 65nm, but not by very much. GF 32nm should be almost as much better than GF 45nm as Intel 32nm was better than Intel 65nm.

Well, yes. Your point?

"IBM’s 45nm SOI process with high-k dielectrics and metal gates is very impressive, nearly matching the performance for the high performance 32nm processes. However from the description was more research oriented and will probably never go into production. "

^ from your link, isn't Thuban on that high-k process? My point is that the actual performance difference between 45nm Intel and AMD cpus is partly from an IPC lead that Intel has and that saying it's barely better than Intel 65nm is a bit hyperbolic.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
isn't Thuban on that high-k process?

Nope. Thuban is on the same doped-poly nitrided-gate 45nm SOI CMOS that the rest of AMD's 45nm CPU's use at GloFo.

All the high-k metal gate stuff at 45nm that AMD talked about never made it into production. Slideware at its finest.

jimbo75

Mar 29, 2011
Nope. Thuban is on the same doped-poly nitrided-gate 45nm SOI CMOS that the rest of AMD's 45nm CPU's use at GloFo.

All the high-k metal gate stuff at 45nm that AMD talked about never made it into production. Slideware at its finest.

Thuban included low-k dialectrics which was why it had such an improvement in power draw. I don't remember high-k ever being talked about except in some theories by Dresdenboy, which he later admitted was wrong.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Thuban included low-k dialectrics which was why it had such an improvement in power draw. I don't remember high-k ever being talked about except in some theories by Dresdenboy, which he later admitted was wrong.

Thuban includes the same low-k dielectrics that all the other 45nm GloFo CPU's include. Low-k is for the BEOL (metalization levels).

Athlon II, Phenom II, Thuban...all the same process tech. Same xtors, same metalization, same low-k dielectric.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/di..._45nm_Microprocessors_with_HKMG_Incoming.html

The high-k stuff was explicitly advertised by AMD as an "optional feature for 45nm". People got the impression that AMD was probably going to roll out a "45nm Phase 2" with HKMG because that was what AMD talked about.

There was a pdf hosted by AMD that talked about it in some detail in Q/A format, it is now conveniently missing, so I will link to a web article that talks about it, although it was talked about quite a lot so I'd think you'd know of it or easily come up to speed on it with a bit of googling.

We have high-k+metal gate as an option at 45 nm; we haven't announced any products that will use high-k+metal gate," spokesperson Gary Silcott told us. "It will come later on in our 45 nm process, so our initial 45 nm process does not include that."
http://www.betanews.com/article/AMD-moves-cautiously-into-the-45-nm-era/1204662746

Vesku

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2005
They definitely gave me the impression that they were introducing HKMG into their matured 45nm products, they need to transfer that marketeer to direct sales.

They did manage to get some better OCing performance from the C3 stepping regardless.

podspi

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2011
By several accounts, AMD is currently shipping Llano APUs to manufacturers. When do you guys think we'll start seeing reviews?

I think we'll see them hit 4.2ghz or so, and I think they'll turn out to be awesome budget CPUs for the majority of people who only need basic graphics. As a matter of fact, they'll probably make good laptop CPUs as well.

I bet LLano's IPC is going to come in around Phenom II's. It has some tweaks that all else equal will increase IPC (so I've heard?) but will be hurt by the lack of L3 cache. Its turbo modes should be interesting.

Last edited:

jimbo75

Mar 29, 2011
The high-k stuff was explicitly advertised by AMD as an "optional feature for 45nm". People got the impression that AMD was probably going to roll out a "45nm Phase 2" with HKMG because that was what AMD talked about.

There was a pdf hosted by AMD that talked about it in some detail in Q/A format, it is now conveniently missing, so I will link to a web article that talks about it, although it was talked about quite a lot so I'd think you'd know of it or easily come up to speed on it with a bit of googling.

http://www.betanews.com/article/AMD-moves-cautiously-into-the-45-nm-era/1204662746

Well tbh that looks a lot more like it's saying low-k will be used instead of high-k, which is what happened. Leaving something open as an option isn't quite the same thing as making a definitive statement. Certainly nothing was said about it since details of Thuban were announced in mid-late 2009 and nobody was under the impression that it was definitely coming with high-k, just that there was a very small chance of it happening.

As for Thuban, it didn't use the same low-k, it used a lower-k according to Hans de Vries http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4330334&postcount=48 and it was also mentioned in a lot of the reviews on release day.

I'm guessing this is the pdf you were talking about - http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=9099422&postcount=16 (you're right it's been removed)

Again it should be pretty clear that in no way did AMD state that HKMG was definitely coming at 45nm, just that it was an option, and that ultra low-k would be used later on the process.

Last edited:

Soleron

May 10, 2009
Thuban includes the same low-k dielectrics that all the other 45nm GloFo CPU's include. Low-k is for the BEOL (metalization levels).

Athlon II, Phenom II, Thuban...all the same process tech. Same xtors, same metalization, same low-k dielectric.

"AMD had another ace up its sleeve when designing Thuban. The folks at GlobalFoundries have made tweaks to their 45-nm silicon-on-insulator process, adding a low-k dielectric layer to reduce leakage power. The result? Within a given thermal envelope, AMD can achieve nearly the same clock speeds with six cores as a Phenom II X4 did with four cores."

http://techreport.com/articles.x/18799/1

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Low-k = reduced power consumption, high-k = better performance, right?

Gigantopithecus

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2004
I don't think we'll start seeing Llano reviews until products are shipping. I hope Llano returns AMD to competitiveness in the laptop segment. If it's priced right, and its integrated GPU is sufficiently powerful, it could very well make Intel's i3 and below CPUs irrelevant, much like Zacate made Atom irrelevant.

nonameo

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2006
I don't think we'll start seeing Llano reviews until products are shipping. I hope Llano returns AMD to competitiveness in the laptop segment. If it's priced right, and its integrated GPU is sufficiently powerful, it could very well make Intel's i3 and below CPUs irrelevant, much like Zacate made Atom irrelevant.

I don't know if I would go that fast so quickly. Intel's marketing and name is enough to make it relevant, even if it's selling saltines with traces on them.

Gigantopithecus

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2004
I don't know if I would go that fast so quickly. Intel's marketing and name is enough to make it relevant, even if it's selling saltines with traces on them.

Ha, true, true. Plus Atom's market penetration is already very high. However, for those who know (like us), the E-350 is so superior to D525 that there's no reason to consider the latter anymore aside from cost (i.e. D525 would be more compelling if substantially cheaper). Similarly, it would be nice for AMD (and those of us who appreciate competition) to make the less capable Pentiums and Celerons obsolete in the laptop segment.

Tuna-Fish

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2011
If it's priced right, and its integrated GPU is sufficiently powerful, it could very well make Intel's i3 and below CPUs irrelevant, much like Zacate made Atom irrelevant.

It won't. SNB's integrated GPU is simply good enough for a huge chunk of the market. (While almost everyone who bought an Atom would be willing to pay more for more performance on the same power envelope.) Llano does, however, seem to be ready to return AMD to competitiveness on laptops and low-end desktops.

podspi

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2011
First thing I wanna know about Llano is...Is there hybrid crossfire?

It should have hybrid crossfire, if this is to be believed:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/...d_Outlook_Along_with_Launch_of_New_Chips.html

and

http://news.softpedia.com/news/AMD-...logy-Similar-to-Hybrid-CrossFire-179740.shtml

Though I know these aren't the best sources, it makes a lot of sense. Would give AMD a huge leg up in laptops with discrete GPUs, as well as help add-ins on lower-end desktops.

wahdangun

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2011
to be honest i really expecting AMD would use sideport memory like thier current integrated GPU but use GDDR5 instead, so it won't be bottlenecked by dual channel ram config

Last edited: