Llano vs Zambezi

lifeblood

Oct 17, 2001
Up to now I've been operating under a misconception. I thought Zambezi had an integrated GPU like Llano was supposed to (Fusion is the Future, or so I've been told). So when I was looking at the specs for the new 9xx series chipsets I was shocked to see a 980G (integrated graphics) chipset. Huh?

So, other than Zambezi not having an integrated GPU, what are the other differences? Will they both run in AM3+ sockets?

I am excited about CPU/GPU Combos (APU) as I see great potential for software taking advantage of the unique capabilities of the GPU. But mainstream adaptation is not going to happen until the compatible hardware is in use by a sizable percentage of the PC's out there.

BTW, when discussing the APU, which forum will we post in? CPU or GPU?

ShadowVVL

May 1, 2010
no llano runs on a different socket Ive heard and have different cores then zambezi.

though i am hoping llano is a success.

most likly we will post in cpu unless they decide to make a apu forum.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Llano: Cores based on the Athlon II (no L3)
Zambezi: Cores based on Bulldozer. 2 cores making one super module.
Llano: Integrated graphics with configurations from 160 SPs to 400SPs
Zambezi: Performance CPU without integrated graphics.
Llano: FM1 on the Desktop, FS1 on the Laptop, FT1 for embedded Fusion.
Zambezi: AM3+ Desktop only chip, possibly supported in AM3 boards.
Llano: 4 core max
Zambezi: 4 Modules/8 Cores

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
I have heard of the next version of Zambezi which is Komodo will have IGP but I am skeptical as the roadmap does not show this. The next version of Zambezi will follow the CPU only instead of making it into an APU like Llano. The only ones that are Fusion are Bobcat and Llano which should get Bulldozer modules next year to go along with an improved IGP according to the roadmap. Makes no sense for Zambezi to have a GPU as many consumers would rather get a discrete GPU to go along with Zambezi.

Llano should be using a different socket and not compatible with AM3+ I guess.

AMD_ROADMAP_01.jpg

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
I have heard of the next version of Zambezi which is Komodo will have IGP but I am skeptical as the roadmap does not show this. The next version of Zambezi will follow the CPU only instead of making it into an APU like Llano. The only ones that are Fusion are Bobcat and Llano which should get Bulldozer modules next year to go along with an improved IGP according to the roadmap. Makes no sense for Zambezi to have a GPU as many consumers would rather get a discrete GPU to go along with Zambezi.

Llano should be using a different socket and not compatible with AM3+ I guess.

AMD_ROADMAP_01.jpg

the first fusion chip was bobcat. it was probably supposed to be llano but without 32 nm process llano got delayed. bobcat was a new (i guess, though i'll bet it's a lot of parts bin engineering) chip on an old process. but it takes up very little die space to begin with and the old process is pretty power efficient.

llano was close to being an old architecture on a new process, like one of intel's ticks (or is that tock?). it's a k10 processor with an integrated GPU. it lets AMD get a new part out in a volume segment without as much risk that it has big problems like the first K10 parts did. unfortunately it has just taken so long for 32 nm to come out.

zambezi is a new architecture (bulldozer) on a new process, which is pretty risky. intel doesn't do this anymore. amd would probably prefer not to do this but amd doesn't have access to the process improvements that intel does. it didn't need the additional complication of a built in GPU on top of that.

but, as GPGPU becomes more commonplace bulldozer modules will be combined with GPU modules to make performance APUs. it's like the integration of the fpu onto the main cpu. originally it was an optional part that ran on a separate chip, then it became integrated but still optional, and finally became a permanent fixture.

bobcat won't be going bulldozer. it'll be a lower power APU on a separate architecture.

podspi

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2011
Trinity (shown on the above roadmap) is the APU based off of Bulldozer cores. I don't think AMD is going to go APU for the high-end until it makes sense. Right now, high-end users also have high-end graphics, which have too much GPGPU power to reasonably integrate into the CPU at this time.

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
The biggest advantage of the APU's seems to be their GPGPU acceleration.
Compaired to the small GPU IGP they have, they usually have high GPU Compute performance (because they sidestep a few bottlenecks, and put things closer together).

Fusion is the Future, or so I've been told
errrh.... yeah... GPU accelerated software is gonna become more and more common, so the GPU acceleration these smaller APUs offer will increase their overall performance compaired to non GPU accelerated CPUs (that are sold without this ability, for people that dont go out and buy say a 6970 or 580).

The Llano is a OEM desktop, Mobile chip.... its just ment to be cheap and decent performance and low power.

Athlon II x4 ~3.2ghz + Radeon ~5570 or better discrete card = Llano (higher end).

^ I belive above is about the most you can expect from the Llano, thats still decent though. Its like 2-3 times as fast as the HD3000 IGP Intels sandy bridge has.

So people will buy a Llano cheap (from a OEM), and then Hybrid Crossfire it with a 6xxx card lowend part, and get like ~5770 level performance for very little price. Which is bound to make it popular... the budget value.

How I see it:

AMD: Llano ~150$ + 50$ 6xxx lowend card hybrid crossfire = 200$ ~5770 level GPU performance.
INTEL: SandyBridge i5-2300 ~185$ + 90$ 5770 card = 275$ ~5770 level GPU performance.

Last edited: