Llano shipping

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Shiping but not launched. So OEMs get them but no systems or reviews yet.

That and anybody know how llano will work board wise? Are they just laptop/intregrated type items (Like E350/Atom)? Or AM3 socket with new boards required?

podspi

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2011
How does shipping for revenue != launched?! :D

Marlin, you beat me to it...!

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
That and anybody know how llano will work board wise? Are they just laptop/intregrated type items (Like E350/Atom)? Or AM3 socket with new boards required?

For desktops they are going to use a different socket.. its referred to as FM1 IIRC. Not compatible with AM3.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
This was definitely surprising news to me. I thought BD would ship first.

I hope to see some Llano laptops available soon. My GF wants a new laptop, and I think one of these would work out well for her.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
This was definitely surprising news to me. I thought BD would ship first.

I hope to see some Llano laptops available soon. My GF wants a new laptop, and I think one of these would work out well for her.

I'm not. LLano uses a "old" CPU and Video just put together. Should have good yeilds. That and OEMs will eat this up. OEM and Server are where the money is at, not builders like anandtech users. Yea BD is great for builders but for OEMs who cares. LLano will serve the majority of their customers. BD will do better for Servers.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Specs look OK to me. This is definitely meant for the OEM's.. its a perfect chip for Laptops, office computers and AIOs.

Problem with most laptops is to hit a power envelope or cost envelop they have to severely cut into the CPU's and graphics. A low power 4 core AII/PII version with a 6500 series integrated graphics is going to be make it the ultimate sub 1k retail system chip.

Better then the i3 in light gaming loads and better then the i5 igp systems and more affordable then the i5 and i7 performance machines.

podspi

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2011
Nothing about Llano will be earth shattering, but neither is Zacate and it is still a nice product!

Most people (myself included!) don't care about having the highest level of performance in a mobile, they just want it to be fast enough to do what they want while they're on the go. Stars + 400 shaders (do we even have confirmation of that yet?) at decent clocks will do anything 90% of the population wants to do on a regular basis -- and Llano will do it in one part, which makes it more energy efficient AND cheaper for OEMs.

RobertPters77

Feb 11, 2011
So wait I can't buy a llano chip and llano mobo?

Oem Only?

Eh I think I'll pass. But smart move anyway Amd.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Will be interesting once we see general availability. A few of the low-end parts might make for a good HTPC.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Nothing about Llano will be earth shattering, but neither is Zacate and it is still a nice product!

Most people (myself included!) don't care about having the highest level of performance in a mobile, they just want it to be fast enough to do what they want while they're on the go. Stars + 400 shaders (do we even have confirmation of that yet?) at decent clocks will do anything 90% of the population wants to do on a regular basis -- and Llano will do it in one part, which makes it more energy efficient AND cheaper for OEMs.

Yea there will be 160, 320, and 400 shaders versions for desktop. Most being quad core as well.

The laptops will have up to 480 shader on a quad core.

podspi

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2011
Yea there will be 160, 320, and 400 shaders versions for desktop. Most being quad core as well.

The laptops will have up to 480 shader on a quad core.

Oh yea, the lower-end Llanos are going to end up as the E2 series, right? I was planning on replacing my AII-X4 HTPC with something a little lighter next year. So far I'm planning on using an E-350 but maybe one of the E2's would be even better, depends on the power usage.

I love having the quad-core on the HTPC, but its kinda loud and doesn't exactly sip power... I'd love to have the CPU being passively cooled with only a case fan or two, but that might be a silly pipe dream.

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
So we can ascertain that performance will be like a Athlon II x4 Popus with graphics somewhere around 4650/4670/9600gt/9800gt/gt240/5550/5670/6550m.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
So we can ascertain that performance will be like a Athlon II x4 Popus with graphics somewhere around 4650/4670/9600gt/9800gt/gt240/5550/5670/6550m.

Maybe. Hard to say as yea the cpu/gpu are based on current products but they have still been tweaked and both will be sharing the same memory contoller.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Maybe. Hard to say as yea the cpu/gpu are based on current products but they have still been tweaked and both will be sharing the same memory contoller.

CPU wise, the tweaking seems very light, i heard about 5%
or so better IPC , 10% seems miraculous and is probably
out of reach.

The GPU part , though, is said to perform better than its
discrete equivalent with same SP count.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
CPU wise, the tweaking seems very light, i heard about 5%
or so better IPC , 10% seems miraculous and is probably
out of reach.

The GPU part , though, is said to perform better than its
discrete equivalent with same SP count.

Yea I am not worried about the CPU/GPU itself, but the memory bandwidth issues that will come up.

High speed memory may help these out quite a bit. I am looking forward to the reviews.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Yea I am not worried about the CPU/GPU itself, but the memory bandwidth issues that will come up.

High speed memory may help these out quite a bit. I am looking forward to the reviews.

There s a pdf file from AMD that is called "AMD fusion press tour" about
brazos, but there are also a slide inside about Llano.

In short, the BW are given as so :

Classic system w discrete card main bottleneck is presented
as being PCI interface with a 7GB/S and lot of latency,
while the integrated GPU communicate with the intergrated
MC at a max of 27GB/S , so what is lost on one side is more than
compensated on the other one, according to this slide.
It s pointed that the same GPU perform better when integrated
with the CPU.

podspi

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2011
There s a pdf file from AMD that is called "AMD fusion press tour" about
brazos, but there are also a slide inside about Llano.

In short, the BW are given as so :

Classic system w discrete card main bottleneck is presented
as being PCI interface with a 7GB/S and lot of latency,
while the integrated GPU communicate with the intergrated
MC at a max of 27GB/S , so what is lost on one side is more than
compensated on the other one, according to this slide.
It s pointed that the same GPU perform better when integrated
with the CPU.

What type of workloads are they talking about, though? GPU-compute workloads should be a lot faster, but I have trouble believing the DDR5 on my graphics card is just for show :biggrin:

Though I won't be devastated if I'm proven wrong...

nenforcer

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2008
The Zacate CPU/APU you can buy right now isn't much of an upgrade from my ATOM 330/ION since its in the same ultra low 15-20W power draw range.

When these LLano parts hit they should blow it away in that 40-70W power draw range and I can use my existing Mini-ITX case for it.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
What type of workloads are they talking about, though? GPU-compute workloads should be a lot faster, but I have trouble believing the DDR5 on my graphics card is just for show :biggrin:

Though I won't be devastated if I'm proven wrong...

I have no idea about the tasks,as as usual with AMD, we are left with speculations ,but it doesn t matter a lot, since we are talking bottlenecks.

Your card gdr5 can be as fast it it wants, the GFX will communicate
with the CPU and thus with the MB RAM at only 7GB/s.

In contrast, the integrated GPU can communicate with the CPU
at a max of 27GB/s which is also the RAM bandwith.

The slide says , on AMD s own words :

" 3X bandwith between GPU and (edit : main) memory."

"Even the same sized GPU is substancially more effective
in this configuration"

"Eliminate latency and power associated with the extra
chip crossing"

"Substancially smaller physical footprints"

For the rest, we ll have to wait for benches that will
be published at a date only god (and AMD perhaps) know exactly..