Llano IGP on Linux- anyone tried it lately?

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
I have an old A6-3650 sat in a drawer (don't ask). Seems like a waste, when I could throw it in a cheap motherboard and get a SteamOS system up and running very easily.

Has anyone tried it lately? How's the driver support? Does it work alright? I'm just looking for something cheap to run indie fare like Towerfall, I'm not expecting world beating performance, I just don't want to mess around with loads of bugs.

monstercameron

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2013
The Foss drivers should handle the vliw5 gpu just fine but I don't know how much gaming you are gonna get done.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
The Foss drivers should handle the vliw5 gpu just fine but I don't know how much gaming you are gonna get done.

I'm not bothered about it being FOSS- I just want cheap ;) Are the binary blob drivers any better or worse than the FOSS ones?

monstercameron

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2013
I'm not bothered about it being FOSS- I just want cheap ;) Are the binary blob drivers any better or worse than the FOSS ones?
As you know vliw5 has been relegated to legacy support and the binary blobs are anything but stable. Also, the legacy catalyst driver doesn't support the latest kernels, that mean ububtu 12.04-13.04. So forget about steamos. Luckily the Foss drivers as much more stable and are getting faster, slowly but surely.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
As you know vliw5 has been relegated to legacy support and the binary blobs are anything but stable. Also, the legacy catalyst driver doesn't support the latest kernels, that mean ububtu 12.04-13.04. So forget about steamos. Luckily the Foss drivers as much more stable and are getting faster, slowly but surely.

Hrm, okay. Do the FOSS drivers support stuff like the video encode/decode block, if I wanted to do any Steam In-home Streaming?

monstercameron

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2013
Hrm, okay. Do the FOSS drivers support stuff like the video encode/decode block, if I wanted to do any Steam In-home Streaming?
Uvd support should be there but I doubt llano had an encode engine, iirc vce was added with Tahiti then later in the Kaveri.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
I had a 6870 in a ubuntu 14.04 box for a while. Binary drivers were fine and worked much better than the open source drivers performance wise.

monstercameron

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2013
I had a 6870 in a ubuntu 14.04 box for a while. Binary drivers were fine and worked much better than the open source drivers performance wise.
The binary drivers are certainly faster than the Foss set. I might have to research kernel support in the legacy drivers.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
6870 is technically vliw5 but an updated version from the 5xxx series so I don't know if that made a difference or not. I never tried the latest drivers (crimson) but a set or two before that worked fine. If you're manually updating your kernel you'd probably run into an issue, but the kernel that comes with/updates with 14.04 never gave me problems while updating drivers.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
6870 is technically vliw5 but an updated version from the 5xxx series so I don't know if that made a difference or not. I never tried the latest drivers (crimson) but a set or two before that worked fine. If you're manually updating your kernel you'd probably run into an issue, but the kernel that comes with/updates with 14.04 never gave me problems while updating drivers.

as far as I know tessellation performance was improved, also they had updated (for smaller die size) memory controller, might have had something else modified, but it's basically the same as the 5K series

and as far as I know the closest thing to llano was the HD5570.