Living in the suburbs blows

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NoMoMoney

Feb 17, 2005
I have to move out of Cambridge now, you've proven my wife right that there a bunch of freaks here :) Back to the burbs for me this summer. I'm glad I'm far enough away from you guys though for the time being until we move.

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006
Originally posted by: NoMoMoney
I have to move out of Cambridge now, you've proven my wife right that there a bunch of freaks here :) Back to the burbs for me this summer. I'm glad I'm far enough away from you guys though for the time being until we move.

at least I has money.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: E equals MC2
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Originally posted by: E equals MC2
Originally posted by: ViviTheMage
I live in the city for all of the reasons you listed.

qft! I cannot stand the traffic to get into the cities, would hate to waste so much of my time driving to and from work.

City has its disadvantages too. Saying one is better than other is like comparing applies to oranges.

I grew up in a suburbs all my life and now living in Boston now for 3 yrs. I like being in the city but the things I don't like:

*Everything is fvcking expensive. EVERYTHING. $12 + tip for that shitty ass Mojito you haphazardly made in 10 seconds? Gimme a break.
*Cities are generally dirtier
*In breezy summer nights, I'd fall asleep with the windows open, listening to the lullabies of crickets and night birds. In the city, I wake up 2-3x in the middle of the night fucking homeless idiots cussing and screaming at the TOP OF THEIR LUNGS at each other over a leftover chicken fingers at 4AM in the morning.
*Suburbs have YARDS and LAWNS. I have the fondest memories of my parents' big ass, near-one-acre yard where we played football, frisbee, and even falling asleeping on a bench.
and more...

I live across the River in Cambridge from you. I like the diversity of people. I love being able to walk to work, restaurants, the Charles River or the T into Boston. I'm lucky to have a yard but you're not far from the Esplanade, Boston Common, Arnold Arboretum and just five miles north is the Middlesex Fells Reservation.

Small things I like also. In the winter, the city enforces people to shovel their sidewalks. In the suburbs, I'd be stuck walking my dogs or running in the street.

In regards to noise, I've gotten use to it. I also play music while I sleep to drown out any outside noises.

If I had kids, I may be singing a different tune.

I live in Cambridge too actually. Right on the Arlington border close to Alewife. I just said Boston for the sake of simplicity.

Let's meet and neff together. :heart:

Do you want my address? I'm right off of Davis Sq on the Redline too. I like football, snowboarding and photography. What do you like? You wanna hang out sometime? What's your favorite color? Mine is red! Fiery red!

Please let me know!!!!! :heart::heart::heart:

I think we have an ATOT Love Connection! :p

DVad3r

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2005
Originally posted by: BarneyFife
Best place is a Suburbs near a city. Those are $$$ but well worth it.

I think your confused. A suburb is always near a city, thus the term suburb. If your in a suburb not near a city, then your living in a town or a city that's not really developed. For all those telling me my suburb is not developed and I don't know what a suburb is etc, here is a link for you http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississauga,_Ontario it has 700,000 + people and from that photo the downtown looks pretty big, it's actually a city but many call it a suburb because it borders Toronto. In fact most don't even refer to it as a suburb and call the general area GTA or Greater Toronto Area, and that includes Mississauga, Brampton, Woodbridge, Pickering, Ajax, Richmond Hill, Vaughn, and a couple of others...

The Suburbs blow!

And Im 23, buying a house here is hard, especially for my family which immigrated to Canada.

Mr Incognito

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2007
I lived in the suburbs and it got very boring, I ended up just driving around and smoking weed my late HS career.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
You are complaining about living in Mississauga???? Shit, I live in scarborough and have to drive downtown to drop my wife and kid off then drive to Mississauga for work.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: K1052
Originally posted by: Slew Foot
Upper middle class suburbs are so much better than the city its not even funny.

No $20 parking lots, no stupid homeless guy peeing on the sidewalk, no gang members roaming every corner, no $40/plate asian fusion restaurants, no yards to grow a garden or play with kids in.

Yeah, suburbs every day of the week.

And as an added side benefit every upper middle class suburb looks the same and is seemingly inhabited by identical people.

Heh. Speaking of generalizations.

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I was going to agree, Mississauga is awful, then I remembered I LIVE IN CAMBRIDGE ugh. Of course moving into "the city" for me means moving to Waterloo, which I am working on.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: eakers
I was going to agree, Mississauga is awful, then I remembered I LIVE IN CAMBRIDGE ugh. Of course moving into "the city" for me means moving to Waterloo, which I am working on.

Cambridge is pretty nice.

Randum

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2004
thats really funny about the flyers.
THe suburbs is the heart of the RAT RACE for everyone to BUY BUY BUY! If developers had their way, you would see houses on every square foot followed by MILES of shopping malls. Traffic is the worst, absolutely. Trains to the city is the only way to go , and unless you are into dennys, nothing is open late and forget going out for a few drinks and stumbling home cause there are NO CABS and you cant walk ANYWHERE!!

suburbs are for old people...or people who like consumerism aka, "look at my car!!!"

summit

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2001
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: DVad3r
So ya, living in the city for 15 years, and moving to the suburbs this summer, has really given me a new perspective on life. I mean, before my parents bought a house in the burbs, we always talked about how we would never ever want to live in the suburbs because there is literally almost nothing there, and the traffic to get anywhere close to the city is insane. Fast forward and yes, we buy a house in the burbs, 30 km away from work, friends, and what I call an interesting place to live.

I hate driving to work for 1 hour each day stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. I hate being late at work when there is an accident or a hint of bad weather and everyone turns into retard zombie mode and go slow. I hate coming back from work in rush hour traffic reliving the whole experience again. When I come home I am too tired to head out anywhere, especially in my car, and I never want to drive again till the next day. Living in the city I never had this problem, I actually enjoyed driving and being at my particular destinations of choice in a matter of 5 minutes.

I think the money you save on housing living in the suburbs is in no way a payoff towards the convenience you have of living in the city at a higher price. Also I forgot to mention that there is absolutely fuck all to do in the suburbs, stores are far away, you have to have a car to get anywhere, and every weekend I get the most massive flyer bag ever created with specials at every store for me to shop in, wtf is that shit!

/Discuss

I agree 100%. I know people who moved out to Temecula because houses are cheap and you can buy a larger house on more property but they spend 2-3 hours driving to and from work each day.

I love North County San Diego because there is a lot of industry and jobs and there is also suburban type housing (although, it's more expensive and on smaller lots). Tons of stuff to do, beaches, night life, etc and it's all within 10-15 miles. So, I'm not in the downtown area of the city but I am close to my job (10 miles one way) and I can hop on the freeway or take a few different routes on surface streets or even ride my bicycle to and from work.

Temecula is not the suburb, Temecula is rural, anyone who moves to Temecula is just crazy. My 2 cents.

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919

not nearly as nice as Waterloo.

Although, to be honest, I am looking to move out into the country, like Elmira area.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: ahurtt
Sounds like the OP lives in the sticks, not the suburbs. Most suburbs these days have mega-shopping centers on every corner and plenty of 300 theater cinema-movieplexes on every corner.

and a starbucks and mcdonalds within 1-2 miles.

i mean look at the bay area. its mostly suburbs. frys isn't in san francisco, its in the burbs! atleast in the bay area, inconvenience is living in the city unless you feel like going to the museum/play every day. otherwise for normal shopping the burbs win

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
Sounds like the OP lives in the sticks, not the suburbs. Most suburbs these days have mega-shopping centers on every corner and plenty of 300 theater cinema-movieplexes on every corner.

i mean look at the bay area. its mostly suburbs. frys isn't in san francisco, its in the burbs! atleast in the bay area, inconvenience is living in the city unless you feel like going to the museum/play every day. otherwise for normal shopping the burbs win

Most people aren't going to drive all the way out to Concord or Fremont to go to Fry's during the week. Most people also go shopping on the weekend.

Being in the city, I can walk or take public transportation to 100s of restaurants, live shows, adult education classes and there's plenty of shopping just not big box stores.

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
Originally posted by: Born2bwire
I like the suburbs, they have pretty much 90% of what you get in the city. I live in Champaign, IL, the middle of nowhere, but due to the Uni it's basically suburban living. I've got access to city and university orcherstra and theater. There are bars and clubs and we get big acts that come through town into Assembly Hall. Back in Chicago, most large venues, like Tweeter Center, were in the suburbs not downtown. In Chicagoland, going into the city you had the museums, theaters, and clubs. Nothing I really need to actually live in the city to go see. Plus, I like living in a house with a yard and being able to actually drive somewhere and park.

Besides, hasn't Canada discovered locomotives yet? Public transportation FTW. We lived forty-five miles outside of Chicago yet we could get in on the train in forty minutes.

Are you going to the university? What's your major? I live in Champaign now too and it reminds me a lot of home. It's not that different from Fairfax, VA, there's less cars here and it's like 20% the scale but still pretty nice. I like it.

I went to Chicago once and hated it. There's very few cities I really like and wouldn't hate living in, NYC(Queens) and DC come to mind.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Once people grow up, get married and start families, the allure of "thousands of places to get drunk on every corner" goes away and you'd rather live in a nice safe place with good schools to raise your kids. Hence, the suburbs.

theMan

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2005
suburbs are disgusting. lived in them my entire life so far, cant wait to get out of this hellhole. they are ruining america.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: IcebergSlim
The burbs sucks. THere is nothing to do.
And the city sucks too. I'd rather live in a rural area.

Available in/from my backyard: miles and miles of cross country ski trails, snowmobile trails, snowshoe hiking (it's that time of year), hunting, fishing, hiking, my kids have their own track for their dirtbikes, and I can do virtually any outdoor activity/sport imaginable. My own driving range for golf (I only find about 25% of the balls though.)

Wtf is there to do in the city besides go shopping and go to bars? Movies? bfd. With the money you can save by not living in the city, you can put in a really nice home theater. (Oh, and out of the city, the average person has more room to do stuff like that.)

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo

Most people aren't going to drive all the way out to Concord or Fremont to go to Fry's during the week. Most people also go shopping on the weekend.

Being in the city, I can walk or take public transportation to 100s of restaurants, live shows, adult education classes and there's plenty of shopping just not big box stores.

the thing is there are hundreds of restaurants in the burbs as well now days. and small shops..most of the community colleges are in the burbs, not the city if you want adult education. sure public transport is the only advantage the city has over the burbs, you do need a car in the burbs but thats a given. unless you go clubbing all the time its really not much of a sacrifice. on the weekend a drive to the city isnt' such a big deal, and its becoming less and less necessary. a long time ago in the bay area people would drive to china town..esp asians to buy stuff.
now we have a ranch 99 asian mall chock full of small and large restaurants and stores around every corner..its become basically unnecessary.

Foxery

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2008
I feel sorry for people who live in such overcrowded areas that they can't find peace and quiet, or have their own private corner of the world.

I feel more sorry for responses in this thread who *prefer* it that way. :(

My back yard (the one on the bottom)

I'm 10-20 minutes from just about anything in my whole county.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante
I want to get out of the suburbs so bad. There has never been anything here, and every time I go to the city it seems so much better.

Tell me about it. Nothing to do....and you are always going with traffic. When I lived in Boston, I didn't care where I worked because traffic was never an issue (and Boston is kind of central to everything). Now that I live outside of Boston, I have to take it into consideration. Really, the only thing I hated about the city was parking and the rat problem. I miss Boston so much:( I hate taking my car everwhere also.:(

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919

Cost of living with any place close to Boston is so high now:( Even Natick is jumping in price...I would move to Framingham, but that city is a dump. I think its worse off than Lowell.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Suburbs and city living suck.
I lived in the city a good part of my life and hated it when my parents moved to a rural area when I was in high school, couldn't wait to get back to the city.

Now I'm back in that rural area and loving it.
Right now its about 2PM and I can walk outside and not hear anything but the wind and the birds. I can leave my doors unlocked at night, not on purpose, sometimes I just forget, thats how unimportant it really is here.

If I need a ride because the cars broke, I don't have to call a cab.
I can walk next door to any house and get a ride, some from people that don't even know me well. Just that I live here.

In town the people know me by name. Nothing like going to the post office and being greeted by name and asked how your doing by someone who actually wants to know.
Or going to the grocery store and talking to the butcher where he really does take pride in his work. Someones house burns down ? Everyone chips in, the local church opens its doors and shelters the family till we can get the house rebuilt.

Its a shame you lose a lot of that when you move to a city.
Not sure if its the population or the lack of accountability people can get away with in the city. (similar to the way some people are jerks online).
I know that wouldn't work here, make a name for yourself as a jerk and find out your not welcome.

I wouldn't live in a housing subdivision if you paid me.
Cookie cutter houses with rules and no privacy.

Pig pickin.
If you have never been to one, your missing out.
No way you could do that in the city.
My brother does it in his back yard.

I have to drive to get places , but its more than worth it to get all the above.