Living in the suburbs blows

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Sounds like the OP lives in the sticks, not the suburbs. Most suburbs these days have mega-shopping centers on every corner and plenty of 300 theater cinema-movieplexes on every corner.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: E equals MC2
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Originally posted by: ViviTheMage
I live in the city for all of the reasons you listed.

qft! I cannot stand the traffic to get into the cities, would hate to waste so much of my time driving to and from work.

City has its disadvantages too. Saying one is better than other is like comparing applies to oranges.

I grew up in a suburbs all my life and now living in Boston now for 3 yrs. I like being in the city but the things I don't like:

*Everything is fvcking expensive. EVERYTHING. $12 + tip for that shitty ass Mojito you haphazardly made in 10 seconds? Gimme a break.
*Cities are generally dirtier
*In breezy summer nights, I'd fall asleep with the windows open, listening to the lullabies of crickets and night birds. In the city, I wake up 2-3x in the middle of the night fucking homeless idiots cussing and screaming at the TOP OF THEIR LUNGS at each other over a leftover chicken fingers at 4AM in the morning.
*Suburbs have YARDS and LAWNS. I have the fondest memories of my parents' big ass, near-one-acre yard where we played football, frisbee, and even falling asleeping on a bench.
and more...

I live across the River in Cambridge from you. I like the diversity of people. I love being able to walk to work, restaurants, the Charles River or the T into Boston. I'm lucky to have a yard but you're not far from the Esplanade, Boston Common, Arnold Arboretum and just five miles north is the Middlesex Fells Reservation.

Small things I like also. In the winter, the city enforces people to shovel their sidewalks. In the suburbs, I'd be stuck walking my dogs or running in the street.

In regards to noise, I've gotten use to it. I also play music while I sleep to drown out any outside noises.

If I had kids, I may be singing a different tune.

I live in Cambridge too actually. Right on the Arlington border close to Alewife. I just said Boston for the sake of simplicity.

Let's meet and neff together. :heart:

Do you want my address? I'm right off of Davis Sq on the Redline too. I like football, snowboarding and photography. What do you like? You wanna hang out sometime? What's your favorite color? Mine is red! Fiery red!

Please let me know!!!!! :heart::heart::heart:

I'm sure if you hang-out at Diesel Cafe or Johnny D's enough you'll meet somebody nice to spend quality time with. ;)

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
i have to agree on not wanting to drive anywhere when i get home from work. i really don't want to do anything when i get home from work during winter.

~40 min commute each way, traffic blows, but i don't mind my place in the burbs.

SnipeMasterJ13

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2004
I don't think I could ever live in a big city. No room to play. And by that I mean snowmobiles/4 wheelers/cars. I grew up with 40 acres of land about 3 miles outside of a (what I call) city. The population is only 7,500, but right on the interstate. It's nice because there is plenty of room for whatever you want to do, and it's only 30 minutes from Minneapolis/St. Paul.

I could never live in an apartment, which rules out most city living. I'm too loud of a person (music, up late all the time, loud cars, etc) so I definitely fit "out in the sticks" a lot more than in the city. I like my space, dammit.

I've done the commute thing, and it does blow hard. I got lucky and found a good job that is not in the major metro area. My commute consists of three stop signs. I do get mad when other people are at the 4-way one, though, lol.

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005
I find it hard living without mass transit. Moving to Columbus from Chicago sucked at first because instead of a great train system, I only have a crappy bus system available to me. Now I'll actually have to go out and buy a car :(

MegaVovaN

Diamond Member
May 20, 2005
city ftw
my only complaint is Houston is not bike friendly and I cannot <safely> ride my bike to college/work

DVad3r

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2005
I am actually planning on moving out, if everything works out and I get a better position at my work I should be able to buy a house, live in a room, and rent it out so they make my payments for me. Yes Mississauga does blow. Guys don't get me wrong, this place has everything you could want in a city minus the transportation system, we have pubs, bars, clubs, massive malls, shitload of stores, etc, its not a farm if that is what some of you are thinking. What I was refering to is just the general atmosphere of the burbs and the non motivation to go anywhere because nothing is really interesting. I guess I have all my friends down in the city and my favorite bars/gyms/clubs/stores. I mean I used to walk everywhere or take the bus, it wouldnt be a problem. Now its like, I want to chill with some good friends I have to drive 30 k just to go grab a pint.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
You didn't pick the right place. We moved to the 'burbs 2 years ago, and it's the best move we've ever done. We picked a spot outside of a village filled with mom & pop stores, there's one small grocery store and gas station near by, and the interesction of all the major highways in our area just happens to be 5 minutes away. It takes me 30 minutes to get to work (it used to take 5).

I'm lovin' it.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
Originally posted by: Mwilding
The suburbs is for married people with kids. The city is for the young and the childless.

And the sticks are for the old and retired who just want to be left the hell alone for a bit.

So yes. Such is the way of the world.

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
Originally posted by: SnipeMasterJ13
I don't think I could ever live in a big city. No room to play. And by that I mean snowmobiles/4 wheelers/cars. I grew up with 40 acres of land about 3 miles outside of a (what I call) city. The population is only 7,500, but right on the interstate. It's nice because there is plenty of room for whatever you want to do, and it's only 30 minutes from Minneapolis/St. Paul.

I could never live in an apartment, which rules out most city living. I'm too loud of a person (music, up late all the time, loud cars, etc) so I definitely fit "out in the sticks" a lot more than in the city. I like my space, dammit.

I've done the commute thing, and it does blow hard. I got lucky and found a good job that is not in the major metro area. My commute consists of three stop signs. I do get mad when other people are at the 4-way one, though, lol.

I live downtown st. paul, I love it and to tell the truth all the time I have lived here I have not once been asked for change, not really a lot of homeless here mostly in minneapolis. Its basically a lot of the nice things about living downtown without all the crime and bullcrap.

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
Originally posted by: DVad3r
I am actually planning on moving out, if everything works out and I get a better position at my work I should be able to buy a house, live in a room, and rent it out so they make my payments for me. Yes Mississauga does blow. Guys don't get me wrong, this place has everything you could want in a city minus the transportation system, we have pubs, bars, clubs, massive malls, shitload of stores, etc, its not a farm if that is what some of you are thinking. What I was refering to is just the general atmosphere of the burbs and the non motivation to go anywhere because nothing is really interesting. I guess I have all my friends down in the city and my favorite bars/gyms/clubs/stores. I mean I used to walk everywhere or take the bus, it wouldnt be a problem. Now its like, I want to chill with some good friends I have to drive 30 k just to go grab a pint.

Bars? Sheesh, how old are you? move out dammit!

Foxery

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2008
Originally posted by: DVad3r
I hate driving to work for 1 hour each day stuck in bumper to bumper traffic.

Then don't choose a house that is so far away? I'm 5 minutes from the highway, and in 5 more minutes I'm downtown.

I think the money you save on housing living in the suburbs is in no way a payoff towards the convenience you have of living in the city at a higher price. Also I forgot to mention that there is absolutely fuck all to do in the suburbs, stores are far away, you have to have a car to get anywhere

Jesus, you're spoiled. But also not thinking it through very well: there are smaller cities with less traffic, and larger suburbs with more amenities. Your family chose one that doesn't suit your lifestyle... (Or, I'd bet it suits your parents just fine :p ) Now you know to choose more carefully when you get a place of your own.

The world is somewhat larger than your experiences.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Upper middle class suburbs are so much better than the city its not even funny.

No $20 parking lots, no stupid homeless guy peeing on the sidewalk, no gang members roaming every corner, no $40/plate asian fusion restaurants, no yards to grow a garden or play with kids in.

Yeah, suburbs every day of the week.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com

duuuude, me too! I lived with oodles of acreage, now I live in MPLS.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Slew Foot
Upper middle class suburbs are so much better than the city its not even funny.

No $20 parking lots, no stupid homeless guy peeing on the sidewalk, no gang members roaming every corner, no $40/plate asian fusion restaurants, no yards to grow a garden or play with kids in.

Yeah, suburbs every day of the week.

And as an added side benefit every upper middle class suburb looks the same and is seemingly inhabited by identical people.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

i agree. no way could we live into a city. i like being able to send my kids outside. i like having go-carts etc.

also we have enough room for them to play. we had a softball game with a bunch of friends a few times over the summer. then had a huge bon fire.

not to mention we can have a keg of beer sitting outside in a barn and not worry about someone takeing it or complaining.

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006
Originally posted by: ViviTheMage
I live in the city for all of the reasons you listed.

qft! I cannot stand the traffic to get into the cities, would hate to waste so much of my time driving to and from work.

City has its disadvantages too. Saying one is better than other is like comparing applies to oranges.

I grew up in a suburbs all my life and now living in Boston now for 3 yrs. I like being in the city but the things I don't like:

*Everything is fvcking expensive. EVERYTHING. $12 + tip for that shitty ass Mojito you haphazardly made in 10 seconds? Gimme a break.
*Cities are generally dirtier
*In breezy summer nights, I'd fall asleep with the windows open, listening to the lullabies of crickets and night birds. In the city, I wake up 2-3x in the middle of the night fucking homeless idiots cussing and screaming at the TOP OF THEIR LUNGS at each other over a leftover chicken fingers at 4AM in the morning.
*Suburbs have YARDS and LAWNS. I have the fondest memories of my parents' big ass, near-one-acre yard where we played football, frisbee, and even falling asleeping on a bench.
and more...

I live across the River in Cambridge from you. I like the diversity of people. I love being able to walk to work, restaurants, the Charles River or the T into Boston. I'm lucky to have a yard but you're not far from the Esplanade, Boston Common, Arnold Arboretum and just five miles north is the Middlesex Fells Reservation.

Small things I like also. In the winter, the city enforces people to shovel their sidewalks. In the suburbs, I'd be stuck walking my dogs or running in the street.

In regards to noise, I've gotten use to it. I also play music while I sleep to drown out any outside noises.

If I had kids, I may be singing a different tune.

I live in Cambridge too actually. Right on the Arlington border close to Alewife. I just said Boston for the sake of simplicity.

Let's meet and neff together. :heart:

Do you want my address? I'm right off of Davis Sq on the Redline too. I like football, snowboarding and photography. What do you like? You wanna hang out sometime? What's your favorite color? Mine is red! Fiery red!

Please let me know!!!!! :heart::heart::heart:

I'm sure if you hang-out at Diesel Cafe or Johnny D's enough you'll meet somebody nice to spend quality time with. ;)

I have your ip address now. There's no turning back.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
I want to get out of the suburbs so bad. There has never been anything here, and every time I go to the city it seems so much better.