!! LiteOn 4X DVD+R/RW + Free T-Shirt at NewEgg for $110 Shipped

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ttalkman

Aug 22, 2001
I remember buying a Sinclair computer for around $400.
It had a total of 2K of ram memory. Graphics were black and white.
No tape drive, no disk drive, no harddrive and no CD drive.

Henny

Nov 22, 2001
Same drive can be had at Dell EPP for about $90 using one of the 20% off EPP coupon.

It looks like "flashabe to dual" is still an unsubstantiated rumor.

grifterspawn

Golden Member
Feb 16, 2000
From what I hear its pretty much the same drive as the new one and can be flashed to one of those, no idea if you REALLY can or where the firmware is though.

Jen

Elite Member
Dec 8, 1999
Originally posted by: grifterspawn
From what I hear its pretty much the same drive as the new one and can be flashed to one of those, no idea if you REALLY can or where the firmware is though.

i would like to know where the firmware is myself

Jen

Granorense

Oct 20, 2001
Originally posted by: EektheCat
Bah.. my first CDR was a phillips cdr2600 2x... $569 :eek:

Wow, that is a lot of money dude! You coud get the new AMD 64 cpu for that price.

Does anybody know were I could find firmware for my 52X24X52 LiteOn CD/RW?. I searched LiteOn's web site but had no luck.

Thank you

veetron

Oct 20, 1999
I bought this drive last month at Newegg for $145 shipped. I've only used it so far for backing-up files and clearing hard drive space. It seems to work just fine but does have one annoying quirk. After I burn a DVD the drive does not read the disk until I re-boot. Even if I try to read an earlier good disk it won't read until I reboot. I've looked for a firmware update and found nothing. Been kind of too busy to contact Lite-on as I figure they would find out and be working on it anyway. I've been using Nero 6 to burn. I also installed a trial version of the latest CDRWin but no support for this drive yet! If I'm overlooking something here feel free to advise me. Thanks
BTW it burns CD's great. It burns at X40 every time, no coasters yet.

pxc

Platinum Member
May 2, 2002
Originally posted by: JoyDutta
Did you guys buy a 17in(16vis) CRT(flat screen though) 1 and 1/2 years back for $184? I did!! Now beat me on that.

I still have a Mag Innovision 17" DX17F that I bought for $560 back in 1995. That monitor is a tank and still works great.

AnimEva

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2000
alright people, i love memory lane, hehe, but we should keep this thread related to Lite-On DVD burning only i would think, otherwise it will end up like that Dell $22 200GB hard drive deal thread that went berserk, haha

AnimEva

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2000
come on people, so many techies here, so many expert search professionals here, FIND THAT FIRMWARE!!!

InlineFive

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2003
This is pretty sweet, but since people say that +R/+RW is less compatible than -R/-RW. I would really like to find that firmware and see flash results.

Do you think this NEC is any better? At NewEgg it's more expensive then the LiteOn but it burns CDs way slower, dosent always seem compatible (according to newEgg reviews) but it is guaranteed -/+. Which do you think is better? Im thinking the LiteOn because people say that even though it is "+" it works with every DVD compatible item they have. Opinions?

-Por

HGC

Dec 22, 1999
I beat both you guys I once bought a very advanced 3x SCSI CD ROM drive for something like $300 :-0

DerProfi

Jan 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Souka
Heh.... I just recently tossed out a Sony(?) 1x CD burner at my work.

External unit with SCSI and a AC power plug.....about the size of a large stereo reciever.....

I hate to think how much that puppy cost back in the 20th century...
We had one of those in '95-'96 at the small government contractor I worked for! I believe the cost was around $4000 + another $600 or so for the software to make it work. We were all giddy when we found a place selling CD-R media for $8 each! :D

Naruto

Jan 5, 2003
Not to mention this LiteOn Dvd Burner has 40X Cd-R burning, which other dvd burners don't have. And it also does EFM, so it can make 1:1 copies as long as you use the right software. I don't turst Optorite because their cd burners were terrible, what makes you think their dvd burners will be terrible as well.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
"I don't turst Optorite because their cd burners were terrible, what makes you think their dvd burners will be terrible as well."

Actually the Optorite DVD burner is very good as most owners will attest, including myself.
I have always liked Lite-On and own several of their drives as well, but they weren't always known as having the best drives. Recently they have had the best CD-RW's for the money but many would argue that Plextor is still better. BTW- Sanyo used to make the optical drives for the Plextor CD-RW's and now they make the optical drive for the Optorite DVD-RW. The advantage goes to the Optorite for the inclusion of HD-BURN, which enables you to burn a data disc with 1.4 GB on a 700 MB CD-R. Top burning speed for CD-R is 24X, but I think most would choose to use their 52X Lite-On's for that anyway.

Rigomortis

Nov 10, 1999
Originally posted by: ttalkman
I remember buying a Sinclair computer for around $400. It had a total of 2K of ram memory. Graphics were black and white. No tape drive, no disk drive, no harddrive and no CD drive.

I still have my Sinclair 1000. :)

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
'Why would anyone ever need a hard drive bigger than 640 MB?' - Bill Gates

Because the operating system had so many flaws that the perpetual flow of updates and patches would take up several GBs.