LiteOn 16x dual later DVDRW drive at Wallmart

Wuzup101

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2002
I felt kinda stupid today when my father and I went to wallmart to pick up a pair of speaker stands only to see the DVD burner we just recieved from newegg there at the store $20 cheaper. We paid $60 for the black retail LiteOn 16x Dual Layer DVD+/-RW at newegg... wallmart has it for $39.99. I don't know how much of a steal this is... but $40 seems pretty damn low for this drive.

Edit: BTW this is the normal price... no rebates or any of that stuff...

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
No Wally around where I live. Have to drive at least 30+ miles for one. I wonder if this is online... looks like it's a B&M only deal, every dvd burner on wallyworld.com is expensive, above plextor level expensive.

IBEBROKE

Dec 25, 2004
Odd Walley on-line shows the Lite-On SOHW1633SBLACK for $79.99. Maybe you should have bought out that stores entire stock.....

Sep 4, 2004
Originally posted by: Falloutboy
mind scanning your receipt?

I too would like to see a scan.

.............................................................................................................................................
"God doesn't believe in atheists"
-Ray Comfort

res0n0xg

Banned
Feb 22, 2004
i don't believe it like all the others, its obviously only a regional / single store type thing where the person who bought it orginally got as lucky as someone winning the lottery except in this case its not the lottery. that or it was just a price mistake as the person actually bought a sack of peanuts for 39.99 and thought it was a 16X dvd burner, thats the more logical case in point here.

flyswatter

Jan 3, 2005
Originally posted by: Baked
No Wally around where I live. Have to drive at least 30+ miles for one. I wonder if this is online... looks like it's a B&M only deal, every dvd burner on wallyworld.com is expensive, above plextor level expensive.

On my 20 mile drive to work, I passed by about 7 walmarts and there's 2 walmarts 2 miles from me :p :p :p :p

Oh yeah, Liteon DVD drives; ( don't know which model) Sony rebadge these drives and put their name on it.

Joerg

Nov 10, 2004
My guess is OP didnt acctually purchase this drive becuase had he done so he woudl have found that the drive was really 79. What im guessing is that he saw the price of the liteon plain cdrw drives and a dvdrw was in the wrong spot. If i remember right a 48x liteon cdrw is 39.99 rigth now.

gwag

Feb 25, 2004
I bet what he saw was a DVD-R drive sitting where a DVD should be. (misplaced) and didn't look at the sticker closely

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Wuzup101
I felt kinda stupid today when my father and I went to wallmart to pick up a pair of speaker stands only to see the DVD burner we just recieved from newegg there at the store $20 cheaper. We paid $60 for the black retail LiteOn 16x Dual Layer DVD+/-RW at newegg... wallmart has it for $39.99. I don't know how much of a steal this is... but $40 seems pretty damn low for this drive.

Edit: BTW this is the normal price... no rebates or any of that stuff...

So... is it working yet?

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Originally posted by: moonsite
My walmart showing 88.94. The one for 39.96 is actually a 16X DVD-Rom

Confirms OP mistook Lite-On DVD-ROM for DVD Writer.

Wuzup101

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2002
Sorry guys I don't know if it's a regional thing or if they just screwed up the pricing in my wallmart. I didn't try to buy it (b/c as I said I just purchased one from newegg and installed it today). I can say for sure though, the price was clearly marked as $39.99. And it definitely was the 16x Dual Format Burner. I had the package in my hand for atleast 5 min just trying to confirm that it was the same thing as I had just bought (so yes I looked at the DVD+R and DVD-R burn speeds and the like. They may well have mistagged it, as I said I didn't buy one so that IS a major posibility, and I'm very sorry for waisting your time if that was the case. They did have about 10 of them sitting there, which i guess (when using common sense) probably means they are mistagged and not advertised for that price...

Cuke

Mar 19, 2002
The $39.99 drive at WalMart (at least in San Marcos, CA) IS INDEED
a 16x dual-FORMAT drive. (SOHW-1613S)
[[EDIT: NO IT ISN'T!! It's a 16x DVD-ROM (SOHD-167T), NOT a burner]]

It is NOT a Dual-LAYER drive. (SOHW-1633S) ... YET!
They are selling THAT drive for about $90 :( [[EDIT: Indeed they ARE! ]]

BUT .... the $40 drive can be REFLASHED into the DUAL-LAYER version.
(making this deal verrry toasty!)
[[EDIT: A 1613 CAN be reflashed into a 1633, but not THIS POS ]]

Have a look at :Cross-Flashing Lite-On DVD drives

[[EDIT: If you can locate a 1613 at a good price, go ahead and turn it into a 1633; but you won't find it at MY local WallyWorld. Sorry for the false alarm!]]:eek:

msi1337

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
I can confirm this deal. I didn't buy one either however, but the dual format burner is $39.XX at walmart. They are no longer carrying it. they had one left at my walmart, but it looked like someone had pillaged through and the drive was beatup..so not so hot for me.

toant103

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Cuke
The $39.99 drive at WalMart (at least in San Marcos, CA) IS INDEED
a 16x dual-FORMAT drive. (SOHW-1613S)

It is NOT a Dual-LAYER drive. (SOHW-1633S) ... YET!
They are selling THAT drive for about $90 :(

BUT .... the $40 drive can be REFLASHED into the DUAL-LAYER version.
(making this deal verrry toasty!)

Have a look at :Cross-Flashing Lite-On DVD drives

:) ;) :D :gift: :laugh: :thumbsup:

this is what i did. I bought the lowest model, 1613 and flashed it to 1653s. i think the 1213s or something like that can be flashed to 1653s also

msi1337

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
I got my 1633S for $59 shipped on sale, so I saved myself the possible bad flash nightmare

pallansar

Dec 13, 2004
Nice info Cuke!! I'm gonna have to stop by good ol' Wally world tonite and see if any in stock!!