NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 927 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I watched Tropic Thunder - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0942385/reference/

it was good, but it didnt put me into that trance that i get when i watch the vastly superior Zoolander. It doesn't flow as well.
And, truth be told, i needed f* subtitles to understand Robert Downey Jr.

still, good film. 7/10

Zoolander is the best Ben Stiller movie

Going to watch the next episode of the Boys at midnight. Excited.

I saw an article online that a lot of MAGA now hate the show because this season is really revealing how evil Homelander is, and they have loved him. I was like, wait, no way, this show has obviously been a scathing commentary of the current American political situation since season 1, and it's become more evident in every episode. It really took these morons this long to figure it out? The Boys did actually criticize some left wing stuff this season, basically being too 'woke', or whatever that means, but it was good criticism - but the show has clearly been super critical of general American culture and consumerism and especially the current state of right wing American politics.

Anyway, so I didn't believe the article. I went to the Amazon website to check out reviews. This season is at 3.5 stars only! I clicked on the 1 star reviews, which are now 25% of all reviews. And lo and behold, tons of MAGATS saying the show is now ruined! Holy shit it really did take a lot of them this long to figure it out. It's insane. Season 2 was a total critique of them. Man right wingers can't critically think at all.

The Boys is doing it's job. Love the show.

• Haha
Reactions: DigDog

dmoney1980

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2008
Pulp Fiction is ridiculously good. All around excellent film-making.
Django, Inglorious, and Hateful8 - all interesting, all from his frenetic mind of weird mash-ups but not his finest work.

JackieBrown I think is his 2nd best work - much different than his other films. Well edited and tight script!

Death Proof was too much fun & Once Upon a Time are both solid. OUATIH could have been a bit tighter on dialogue but I think QT restrained himself enough to make it really enjoyable and I love the Manson alternate reality tie in.

Have you seen True Romance? This was QT’s first scripted film while Tony Scott directed it, but the movie feels what an early QT would be. Good movie and an outstanding cast.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Yeah. That actress playing Jackie, wow! I hadn't seen her before and I don't think I've seen her since in any other movie. But her performance was stellar!

Pam Grier (IMDB)

MV5BMTcxNDEwNDA0N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTY1NjgyNA@@._V1_UX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

She's actually been in a ton of stuff but usually only in supporting roles.

Jul 27, 2020
She's actually been in a ton of stuff but usually only in supporting roles.
You know, I had to bump heads with a lot of men in the industry. They were not comfortable with showing a progressive black female in an action role. As a strong woman, I was seen as a threat. There was a fear that women would mimic me in real life. I remember certain people saying: "Oh, she's taking our jobs, she's castrating men" -- as far as I was concerned, I thought: "We don't need to walk behind you, we should walk beside you."

^^^One of her quotes from her IMDB biography page. That might explain her lack of similar roles in subsequent movies.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Interestingly she played the "Dust-Witch" in one of my favorite "kid-oriented" movies, Ray Bradberry's "Something wicked this way comes".

pam_grier_dustwitch.jpg

brian%2Bsibley%2Bsomething%2Bwicked%2Bthis%2Bway%2Bcomes%2Bdarks%2Bpandemonium%2Bcarnival%2Bflier.jpg

• Love

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Thanks! I love Jonathan Pryce! Need to see this movie ASAP!

I was actually going to say that if you've never seen it I would suggest going out of your way to do so! (its one of those movies that will really stick with you... hopefully NOT in your dreams!)

And keep a careful eye out for lightning-rod salesman! :oops:

• Wow

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Spiderhead 6/10

stars the guy that plays Thor, who is a research scientist experimenting with prototype drugs on subjects.

these subjects are criminals in state prison who volunteered for it.
In return, these prisoners live in Spiderhead, a state-of-the-art penitentiary on an island.

They have their own rooms, do chores, and are free to roam without guard supervision. (like a big comfortable college dorm.)
The subjects go through daily test runs of various drugs, all of which alter their emotions and their perceptions of their surroundings.

Thor is a patronizing ass to his research assistant but is a great friendly person to all his subjects.

The story concentrates on inmate Jeff, his reactions to the drugs, and the interactions between him, the other inmates and the scientist.

I liked the beginning and middle of the movie.
I also liked the plot twist with Jeffs backstory.
but it doesnt make up for the meh 'what's really going on here' ending.

Last edited:

Spydermag68

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2002
Lightyear 5/10

The movie title should of been okyear. It just an ok movie. It is not inspiring like it the movie the tries to tell you at the beginning of the movie on a title card. The twist of Zerg being old Buzz and not his dad was lame. Aslo what happened to Tim Allen? He is the voice actor of Buzz not that second rate actor they used.

Jul 27, 2020
The twist of Zerg being old Buzz and not his dad was lame.
Wow. Thanks, bud. I guess now I'm better off not seeing it since you ruined the surprise?

Aslo what happened to Tim Allen? He is the voice actor of Buzz not that second rate actor they used.
Chris Evans is second rate? :D

Tim Allen can't have anything to do with this because Tim voiced the "toy" Buzz Lightyear in the Toy Story universe whereas this is the backstory of an imaginary Buzz Lightyear in a universe far, far away. The two characters are not one and the same. Put another way, this is the "real" Buzz Lightyear whereas the Toy Story one is a fake toy with many, many other clones like him available in toy stores around the country. The Buzz of the movie "Lightyear" is just one. No clones.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Nicolas Cage is a method actor. I don't think he has ever done any muscular roles. Bruce Willis has some brain disease similar to Alzheimer's so he's out. Might explain why his career started going downhill.
No you missed my point.
Chris Hemsworth so far has never phoned it in. He always gives his best effort.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Yeah but he keeps in shape and he puts in genuine effort every time. Unlike Nicolas Cage and Bruce Willis.
we're gonna have to disagree here.
I mean yeah, Bruce Willis is dead to me. Nicolas Cage, i like him, i have a pretty good opinion of his roles in both Prisoners of Ghostland and in Willy's Wonderland.
Hemsworth, he's just a terrible actor. Oh he puts in the effort allright, but he just don't get acting.

I'll say for him, that he LOOKS like Thor. Brilliant casting. Terrible acting.

I did like this:

but, you know, there's Extraction - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8936646/reference/
and it's just him punching dudes.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Nicolas Cage is a method actor. I don't think he has ever done any muscular roles. Bruce Willis has some brain disease similar to Alzheimer's so he's out. Might explain why his career started going downhill.

Nick Cage has surely done his share of 'action hero' roles (e.g. National Treasure or The Rock - the movie, not the actor!).

But yeah, though Bruce Willis has for a while now been demonstrating the meaning of the phrase "phoning it in", it turns out it was probably the aphasia that's been the issue all along, so it seems callous and uncharitable to hold that against him.

Reactions: Captante
Jul 27, 2020
Nick Cage has surely done his share of 'action hero' roles (e.g. National Treasure or The Rock - the movie, not the actor!).
Action roles yes but I don't think he's done any roles where he needed to hit the gym to add extra muscle to his frame. The most muscular I've seen him is in Con Air.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
But yeah, though Bruce Willis has for a while now been demonstrating the meaning of the phrase "phoning it in", it turns out it was probably the aphasia that's been the issue all along, so it seems callous and uncharitable to hold that against him.
he's an actor, not a garbage man trying to feed his family. I'm not saying he's a bad person, but as an actor, he has no credibility. I am sorry it had to happen to him, i used to be a huge fan, he was a charismatic man who looked good and had a great character.
Did you know there's a SNL skit, where Bruce Willis makes fun of Bruce Willis?

Reactions: pmv

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness 7/10

Great graphics and sfx.
fun seeing the diff versions of Dr Strange but The storyline was meh.

and What happened to the sorcerers of the other Santorum's (hong kong and London) during/after the fight?

oh, nice cameo. never saw that coming

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.