NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 926 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 27, 2020
The weird licking scene was cringe-worthy. Other than that, it's not that bad a movie to enjoy provided you shut off your brain to enjoy the visuals and action. I mean, there are far worse big budget movies out there. Ralph Fiennes is normally fine with me. Good guy or bad guy, he's a good actor. I liked his "The Dig" too.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i am watching Everything Everywere etc

and i made it to 50 minutes in because it's SO FUCKING SLOW. This is literally just the intro.

A woman carrying on with her normal life is approached by a stranger who looks like her husband. She is told that she is an important person in the multiverse, and she must fight evil because she is THE ONE.
i went most of the way through but essentially the film is a constant of changes in the setup with very little of no payoff. The storytelling is ridiculously disjointed without any real reason to be - this is *not* The Usual Suspects, it certainly isn't The Matrix, it's not even a good Kung Fu film, and while it does have a few tidbits of good cinematography in it, (and a pretty damn good Jamie Lee Curtis), the whole thing is much of a mess and not at all enjoyable.
The villain is both horrible as a character and Stef Hsu is bad in the role, the typical villain that just repeats "i'm so villain, i'm SO villain", the constant switch in language forcing me go to back to subtitles several time in a scene is just fucking retarded, and while i do like mixed-media in film, the way this film does it is completely aimless. Genuinely, i think the filmmaker thinks confusing me and forcing me to make sense of the scene, is entertaining. This film gets around the problem of mixing the tone of a film, by not having a tone.
And, nothing really happens. There is no one coherent narrative. Imagine if The Matrix had a section where Neo wonders if he has failed as a father, or if Trinity feels she lost herself trying to fit in socially. Now remove the Agent Smith fight, slow everything down, flip around the behaviour of the characters, constantly, where Morpheus is a slapstick comedy role in one scene and a drag queen in another, and you have an idea of what this film is like.

5/10

• Love
Reactions: igor_kavinski

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
i am watching Everything Everywere etc

and i made it to 50 minutes in because it's SO FUCKING SLOW. This is literally just the intro.

A woman carrying on with her normal life is approached by a stranger who looks like her husband. She is told that she is an important person in the multiverse, and she must fight evil because she is THE ONE.
i went most of the way through but essentially the film is a constant of changes in the setup with very little of no payoff. The storytelling is ridiculously disjointed without any real reason to be - this is *not* The Usual Suspects, it certainly isn't The Matrix, it's not even a good Kung Fu film, and while it does have a few tidbits of good cinematography in it, (and a pretty damn good Jamie Lee Curtis), the whole thing is much of a mess and not at all enjoyable.
The villain is both horrible as a character and Stef Hsu is bad in the role, the typical villain that just repeats "i'm so villain, i'm SO villain", the constant switch in language forcing me go to back to subtitles several time in a scene is just fucking retarded, and while i do like mixed-media in film, the way this film does it is completely aimless. Genuinely, i think the filmmaker thinks confusing me and forcing me to make sense of the scene, is entertaining. This film gets around the problem of mixing the tone of a film, by not having a tone.
And, nothing really happens. There is no one coherent narrative. Imagine if The Matrix had a section where Neo wonders if he has failed as a father, or if Trinity feels she lost herself trying to fit in socially. Now remove the Agent Smith fight, slow everything down, flip around the behaviour of the characters, constantly, where Morpheus is a slapstick comedy role in one scene and a drag queen in another, and you have an idea of what this film is like.

5/10
Maybe you're getting old and slow to watch more complex fast-paced movies?

I appreciate a lot of your thoughts, but sometimes you sound like an old get off my lawn movie critic

Jul 27, 2020
Yes. I don't really have the patience to watch Chinese/Korean/HK family drama with their constant bickering. They make it seem like it must suck to be born in those countries and be surrounded by family. Totally turns my mood off.

5/10 is generous for any movie that I have to force myself to sit through. I watch crap movies some times but they don't have that much happening in them to need my full attention so my brain is more relaxed. In this one, you have to keep your brain at max concentration to understand WTF is going on and it's not all that rewarding in the payoff. Seems like the writer drank a lot to write this screenplay.

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i can answer both
Maybe you're getting old and slow to watch more complex fast-paced movies?

I appreciate a lot of your thoughts, but sometimes you sound like an old get off my lawn movie critic
nah bruh.
5/10 is generous for any movie that I have to force myself to sit through.

this one's a bit more complicated. It stemmed from my anger at people voting 10/10 for any film that they liked; want to watch an Avengers film and though it didn't suck balls? 10/10
That, along with the idea of, "how hard would i push my various friends and family member with different tastes to watch a particular film"?

I figured that films, like other rateable products, would fall in a bell curve, with most being between 5 and 6. However, film - just like theatre - well, we *know* how to make it. Like, Ford wouldn't release a car tomorrow that has no brakes, or with the steering wheel in the back seat.

Essentially a "ok" film is 6/10. It ought to be lower, but our expectations are higher because it's so easy today to make a film that's 6/10; pick any story that's been done before, change the characters a bit, put on a new lick of paint, and voila', it's a "new" product.
You go to the movies and you buy your popcorn, and you have fun. You don't need a masterpiece to enjoy yourself, actually, it's more important that a film tries to not have bad things in it, rather than to have good things in it, provided you don't make a completely empty film, you'll be allright.

And then i though, "what is a 10/10 film?".

So my scale is this:

10/10 - life changing films. People start dressing in leather, or start thinking being in the mafia is elegant, film soundtracks all the sudden start having 1950s style songs in them, etc. It's not just a film, it's a life event.
While some non-10/10 films may have some of this, you feel it more rarely IRL than with a 10/10 film.
my 10/10 films are: *just* Star Wars, 7 Samurai, Pulp Fiction, 2001 Space Odyssey, The Matrix, The Blues Brothers.

9/10 - exceptionally good films with unique characteristics. You really should watch all these films and if you don't, you are missing out on life.
My 9/10 films are: Empire Strikes Back, Return Of The Jedi (yes, with the Ewoks n' all), The Godfather, La Haine, City of God, Lilo & Stich, Animal House, Charlie Wilson's War, The Thing, Terminator, Blade Runner, Brother, Braveheart, Dune, The Man From Earth, Untouchable, American Gangster, The Ring, Whiplash, Amadeus, Dr Strangelove, The Wizard Of Oz, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Fight Club, Wall-E, Casablanca, Lawrence Of Arabia, Raiders Of The Lost Ark, Yojimbo, The Good Bad & Ugly, Aline, Godfather 2, Conan the Barbarian.
A few 8.5/10 were bundled here because IMDb doesnt allow half-point votes.

8/10 - great films that you can or can not watch, you won't miss out on life if you don't watch this.
my 8/10 films are: Rubber, Bamboozled, Three Billboards, Simon of The Desert, Akira, Hot Fuzz, The Terminal, Enemy Mine, Seven, Fury Road, Cyrano, Monsters Inc, Young Frankenstein, Brazil, LOTR, Lord Of War, Zoolander, Once Upon a Time in America, Saving Private Ryan, The Big Short, Clerks, Crouching Tiger, Scarface, Devil In A Blue Dress, Aliens, Leon, Limitless, Sicario, Sanjuro, Austin Powers 3, Little Shop of Horrors, Ran, Dances With Wolves, Breaking News in Yuba County, Black Dynamite, Cabin In The Woods, Deer Hunter, Predator, 12 Angry Men, LA Confidential, Zatoichi, Roger Rabbit, Wayne's World, Platoon, Total Recall, Bridge on River Kwai, Shaolin Soccer, Highlander, Last Samurai, Moonwalkers, Green Mile, Usual Suspect, The Guard, V for Vendetta, Harakiri, Hidden Fortress, Jaws, Kagemusha, Moneyball, Embrace of the Serpent, Legend, Watchmen, Flash Gordon, Amelie', Excalibur, Ramen Girl, Tampopo, Metropolis, Rashomon, Equilibrium, Pitch Black, Silence of the Lambs, Edge of Tomorrow, A Scanner Darkly, Little Big Soldier, Groundhog Day, Kentucky Fried Movie, UP!, Fargo, Oh Brother Where Art Thou, Triangle, Rocky, The Abyss, Full Metal Jacket, Back To The Future.

That's it, these are ALL my top 8-9-10 movies.

The rest which i won't list, are:

7/10 - a very good movie. You watched it and it was really spot on, you are happy you watched it and will probably tell friends about it for a week.
Films such as: Children Of Men, K-Pax, Cast Away, A Bronx Tale, Donnie Darko, Wolf Of Wall Street, The Shining, Cube, American Beauty, or even The Shawshank Redemption.
Films in the "7" group can have a big swing in quality, anything between 6.5. and 7.5 can get grouped here, and in general this is where our expectation of a good film should be, and most of the idiots that vote on IMDb will vote these films as 10/10.
I mean, i quite like Up In The Air, and out of 300k votes, 20k voted this 10/10. You know.. a masterpiece. The greatest film ever made.
Same for Priscilla, Queen Of The Desert (starring none other than Agent Smith himself) - 50k votes, 7k voted 10/10.

6/10 - popcorn film. Just passing time really.
Think stuff like zombie films, Elvira Mistress Of the Dark, etc.

A lot of films can be essentially higher-rated, but have some issues that make the final rating worse than it should be. Notable 6/10 films, that should have been higher: Fear & Loathing, Twelve Monkeys, Blakklansman, The Irishman, Natural Born Killers. All films that could have been easily better, but are let down by various details like mediocre performances, weird editing decisions, uneven plots, uneven tones, in general silly mistakes that a director ought to know better about.

A 6/10 can still be a good film; if 5/10 is your mcDonalds cheeseburger, and 6/10 is a prosciutto mozzarella and salad baguette, you have still eaten well without the need for a 10/10 gold leaf Salt Bae thousand-bucks tomahawk steak.

5/10 is your McDonalds hamburger film. If you go with friends, and you get drinks & popcorn, AND the story of the film is something you already invested in, then you can have fun, but generally speaking, you should be expecting more than this.
This applies to ALL film, there are obviously personal interests that make it easier to overlook a fault within a film, there's films that were a sign of their times, and that have cultural importance beyond their quality as a film.
For example, i fucking hate the story of Do The Right Thing, but it's such a culturally important film that you should probably watch it anyway.

4/10 is when your burger is burned and dry.

3/10 is when your burger fell on the floor and they picked it back up and put it on your bun.

2/10 is when the burgher is laced with poison.

1/10 is the Star Wars Prequels. You eat it and you and everyone you love dies.

Jul 27, 2020
Digdog's ratings 1 through 4 I usually survive by getting bored in the first 10 minutes or so and then just skipping through the movie quickly to see if there is anything cool in that turd of a movie. One exception to that is Maggie Q's Slumber. I was the ONLY ONE in the theater! I found that weird but still saw the whole movie while thinking to myself, "Maggie Q damn it! Never again am I gonna see a movie in a cinema just coz of you".

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Good we are not obligated to use your scale.
.. i mean, you certainly aren't obligated to use them, but you should at least have your own scale, that you use consistently. And it would be helpful if others that you review for, had an idea of what your scale is.

The very point of this thread is that others might be influenced in watching, or not watching, a film, based on the experience of others who have watched it before. If there is no relatable scale, it defeats the purpose.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
lol guys, lol. "lol".

You will never guess how deep in the barrel of bottom-scraping-ness we are. Yes, they are rebooting Willow

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
lol guys, lol. "lol".

You will never guess how deep in the barrel of bottom-scraping-ness we are. Yes, they are rebooting Willow

looks like a sequel, not a reboot. I think I saw a current-age Joanne Walley in that....man, she was so hot in the original.

Jul 27, 2020
I saw Carrie Fisher in "Blues Brothers" yesterday. Damn, she was underused in Hollywood. She really should have had more starring roles.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i have watched
The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11291274/reference/

and, i can't say i liked it.

The beginning of the film is really solid; Nicolas Cage plays the part of Nicolas Cage, the actor. He's not doing well, not getting any good parts, scaring away directors, no cash to pay the bills, and his mind is failing because of all the above. Can't keep his family happy neither.

His buddy (Neil Patrick Harris, for some reason playing "richard fink", couldn't he just have played Neil Patrick Harris?) gives him a $1M gig, entertaining at a private party. With little hope, Cage takes it, and goes off to the spanish riviera.

Where he meets Javi.

Up to here, this was a good film. Very close setup to what you would have in a good Bojack Horseman episode, the interesting parts are the dialogues of the protagonist, as we, the audience, are privy to some additional information as to how hateful the protagonist is, which give the dialogues a double-layered meaning.

Cage and Javi eventually bond, as Javi wants Cage's help in making a movie. In this bonding, Cage finds himself, his old passion for life, the Nic Cage he misses being.

And then the film becomes just fucking stupid.

THE CIA SHOWS UP.

yes.

It becomes a spy film, where Cage is shown that Javi is a cartel lord. Nic has to plant bugs, avoid henchmen, dodge bullets.
Obviously
it wasn't Javi who was the cartel boss, it was his cousin, so Javi
and Nic beat the bad guys by using the techniques that the movie characters of Nicolas Cage used in his films.

i dunno man, i was hoping for a film of some substance, the initial setup is pretty good, but the payoff is lacking. Frankly, it's a stupid script, and regardless of how good Cage is in the film, it just doesn't grab me.

I wouldn't recommend it. I would much sooner recommend the completely absurd pastiche Prisoners Of The Ghostlands than this; at least, Prisoners knows what it wants to do.

No vote yet; i am hoping that someone smarter than me will show up and outline that iv'e missed a thousand references from the section that i hated, a'la' Cabin In The Woods (but currently leaning towards 6/10)

Last edited:
Reactions: igor_kavinski
Jul 27, 2020
I find it distracting that Spock looks like Bones from the lens flare ST movies.
Yeah. He's too handsome this time with a chiseled body. That romance scene in Episode 1. I thought they were going to show some impassionate Vulkan humping. We were spared.

Status
Not open for further replies.