NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 904 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Am I the only person who thought Machete Kills was annoying stupid? As opposed to funny stupid? Actually the box office returns would suggest it wasnt popular.
It was horrifically childish. Felt like Spy Kids except with tits and ass and legs and intestines. And the cameos were not funny, just distracting.

0/10

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Am I the only person who thought Machete Kills was annoying stupid?

0/10
no, and to good reason.

The previous film, Machete, was a pretty good satirical action/slasher/comedy. The second was just.bad. to the point where i question if Rodriguez forgot what made the first film so much better. It could be - i am speculating - that the contributions of Ethan Maniquis, missing from 'Kills, are what caused the difference.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Dont look up 8/10

great parody of Trump Maga's.
with a female Trump in the White House selling out human kind for profit.
(and the Supreme Court because her nominee makes her pussy wet)

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Transformers: The Movie 3 / 10

I just watched it for the first time since I saw it in the theaters in 1986.

I still can't believe how disconnected/obtuse the studio/director/writers were. You don't just kill off just about every single character, and replace them with new annoying versions (basically all Jar Jar Binks versions). It's pretty much what Michael Bay has done to series at this point (killed off most of the mainstream characters, and replaced them with generic versions like in The Last Night movie (e.g. Mohawk, Nitro Zeus, and Onslaught, Dreadbot and Berserker).

I remember thinking "WTF are they doing?" when I watched it as a kid, and I had the same feeling watching it again.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Peacemaker episode 3 was just a stupid cringe funny as the other two. Still withholding judgment as it can turn south in a big hurry.

Book of Boba Fett episode 4 was not as bad as episode 3. In fact, it was a solid C effort, which might make it the best one of the series so far.

I rewatched Batman and Batman Returns for the first time in decades. Ugh, they've aged very poorly. Our maybe they were never actually that good to begin with. In fact, after reviewing the Tim Burton filmography and allowing that I haven't seen EVERY film he's done I think it's Dave to say that none of the ones I've seen are actually any good.

Finally, today I learned (thanks to Plex) that From Dusk til Dawn had not one but two sequels.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Hell or High Water - 7.5/10 Netflix

West Texas bank robberies, crusty old Texas Ranger, but smart. Gritty Well done, and some twists.
Jeff Bridges, Chris Pine

Reactions: Ajay and stargazr

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Peacemaker episode 3 was just a stupid cringe funny as the other two. Still withholding judgment as it can turn south in a big hurry.

Book of Boba Fett episode 4 was not as bad as episode 3. In fact, it was a solid C effort, which might make it the best one of the series so far.

I rewatched Batman and Batman Returns for the first time in decades. Ugh, they've aged very poorly. Our maybe they were never actually that good to begin with. In fact, after reviewing the Tim Burton filmography and allowing that I haven't seen EVERY film he's done I think it's Dave to say that none of the ones I've seen are actually any good.

Finally, today I learned (thanks to Plex) that From Dusk til Dawn had not one but two sequels.

Peacemaker has won me over. Yea I was reserved at first too, but its really finding its form. Stupid, funny and well executed and directed. Butterflies. Like what the fuck. The stupid/funny part reminds me a little of that move Pain and Gain.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Transformers: The Movie 3 / 10

I just watched it for the first time since I saw it in the theaters in 1986.

I still can't believe how disconnected/obtuse the studio/director/writers were. You don't just kill off just about every single character, and replace them with new annoying versions (basically all Jar Jar Binks versions). It's pretty much what Michael Bay has done to series at this point (killed off most of the mainstream characters, and replaced them with generic versions like in The Last Night movie (e.g. Mohawk, Nitro Zeus, and Onslaught, Dreadbot and Berserker).

I remember thinking "WTF are they doing?" when I watched it as a kid, and I had the same feeling watching it again.

I tried to watch this film as an adult and couldn't get past the first five minutes and all the super-sterotypical and super-irritating accented voiceovers they used for the characters. It gave me the impression of a futuristic robot from another planet that has a wild-west gold-miner type accent. Really jarring.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Gunpowder Milkshake. A lot of decent actors. The best actors in the world could not have saved this. Stopped after 30 minutes. Would not recommend.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched Highlander (2016 30th anniversary remaster) - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091203/

I forgot how deep this film was. There's the investigation of Brenda, the police story, the three intertwined love stories of Heather, Rachel and Brenda, and of course the meat of the film, the kurgan. Plus Ramirez, the scotland scenes, and the occasional humour.

Plus also, some interesting camera work - remember, this was 1986, basically the middle ages of film.

The film is well scripted, with decent dialogue, well paced, and would have been even better if they didnt go with the absolutely baffling decision to case Christophe Lambert in the lead, who at the time could barely speak English. After one too many rails of coke, they decided that the horrid accent was ok because "it made him seem like he's from another place". I have seen this film dubbed and believe me, no, it doesn't. The film is FAR better with McLeod having a voice that doesn't suck. And he's a really bad actor, although i must admit that he is handsome - i had his coat in middleschool and god knows how many times i pulled my umbrella from the coat, pretending i was highlander.

Anyway, good film. 8/10 - the remaster fixed some minor lines of dialogue. I'm not one to generally go on about transfer quality but jesus christ, the previous Highlander transfers were garbage. This one is much better.

I also watched, skippin' n' hoppin, pretty much the entire first season of Resident Alien, and no. No, it's not good.

Reactions: stargazr

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
i watched one for the connoisseurs, and i bet @zinfamous loves this,

Greaser's Palace - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068659/reference

i was drawn to this film by, i won't lie, Toni Basil's naked beewbs. Yes, THAT Toni Basil.
But she is in just two small, inconsequential scenes.

GP is a acid-western, and tells the story of the meeting of two main characters, Mr Greaser, who is a "bad man from westerns", the same evildoer that every spaghetti western has. He kills people for fun, keeps a mariachi band in chains, to play for him when he tries to take a dump, and has *very* little dialogue.
The other character is a Jesus-like figure, dressed as a pimp, who casually raises the dead, and speaks in enigmas. A good deal of Jesus imagery in the film, but a fairly bland story. The two characters "clash", with Jesus winning and The Devil (mr Greaser) losing.

If i had ever managed to watch the entirery of The Holy Mountain, i would say it probably has a lot in common with this, except that this film is lower budget.

it's not great. it can't decide if it wants to be a complely abstract art film, or a mild retelling of the jesus story. It doesn't do well at either. Not a lot of boobs, in fact, very few boobs.
Allan Arbus (of MASH) was pretty good as jesus. The other actors aren't given any real roles to play so, i can't say much for them. The dialogue as a whole is pretty much shit.

Directed by none other than Robert Downey SENIOR, and the first film role of a very young - 7yo - Robert Downey Junior.

My vote: 5.5/10 - needs more boobs.

acid western. That does sound like my type of flick. Though it's a French movie? Does that mean they are speaking in European?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Dont look up 8/10

great parody of Trump Maga's.
with a female Trump in the White House selling out human kind for profit.
(and the Supreme Court because her nominee makes her pussy wet)

I thought that was good. Odd thing is before seeing it I heard good things word-of-mouth about it from others, then heard a major backlash (including a negative review in the Guardian) arguing it wasn't funny enough and was too 'smug' (or somehow unfair to idiots) but really it seemed pretty good to me. Not a laugh-a-minute joke-fest, a bit dry as satire goes, but a perfectly good extended metaphor for where we find ourselves now (with both climate change and COVID). With enough outright jokes in there along the way.

In the spirit of "a modest proposal" I thought. I could have sworn the actor playing the ersatz female Trump's son was one of Donald's actual offspring (not that I've observed them that closely).

Reactions: Leymenaide

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I thought that was good. Odd thing is before seeing it I heard good things word-of-mouth about it from others, then heard a major backlash (including a negative review in the Guardian) arguing it wasn't funny enough and was too 'smug' (or somehow unfair to idiots) but really it seemed pretty good to me. Not a laugh-a-minute joke-fest, a bit dry as satire goes, but a perfectly good extended metaphor for where we find ourselves now (with both climate change and COVID). With enough outright jokes in there along the way.

In the spirit of "a modest proposal" I thought. I could have sworn the actor playing the ersatz female Trump's son was one of Donald's actual offspring (not that I've observed them that closely).
didnt even know it was Leonardo DiCaprio as the male star till like 1/3 way through the movie.

holy weight gain to portray a fat professor :eek:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Ozarks (Season 3) 7/10

wasnt as good as the 1st 2 seasons.
i thought the crazy brother arc was stupid and out of place.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
didnt even know it was Leonardo DiCaprio as the male star till like 1/3 way through the movie.

holy weight gain to portray a fat professor :eek:

I don't know if the weird creepy boffin/entrepreneur character was based on anyone in particular, but he seemed weirdly familiar, like a figure who could exist, even if he doesn't. I'm assuming it was a kind of composite of Elon Musk, Steve Jobs and maybe Peter Thiel (not that I have any idea what that last one is like in person). Also it seemed inevitable that if a female President were to be portrayed in any movie of any kind, it would _have_ to be played by Meryl Streep.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I don't know if the weird creepy boffin/entrepreneur character was based on anyone in particular, but he seemed weirdly familiar, like a figure who could exist, even if he doesn't. I'm assuming it was a kind of composite of Elon Musk, Steve Jobs and maybe Peter Thiel (not that I have any idea what that last one is like in person). Also it seemed inevitable that if a female President were to be portrayed in any movie of any kind, it would _have_ to be played by Meryl Streep.
b53d30e509b44bfc5f7bf3d3a03cc000fcd50623.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: zinfamous and pmv

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched Moonrise Kingdom - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1748122/reference

Yet another Wes Anderson film.

I guess the appropriate thing here is to link a SNL spoof of "what if Wes Anderson did a horror", which is:

And just like every Wes Anderson film, it's a Wes Anderson film. Cute, ridiculously well shot, but ultimately forgettable.
I would recommend this if you just want to watch a nice little film to while away a couple of hours.

In a imaginary island somewhere in America, a scout goes missing from Edward Norton's overly-serious scout troupe. They give chase and soon they discover that 12yo Sam Shakusky has absconded with another of similar age, rebellious girl & love interest Suzy. They camp out, they make out, they plan a perfect escape, that fails - because, well, they are 12 years old.
But the evil (?) scoutmaster is hot on their trail - what will happen once they are caught??

Eeeh .. it was allright. I mean, the artistry is undeniable, but once again the script is weak. Come for the visuals, and stay for the cute story.

My vote: 7/10 - i liked Isle Of Dogs faaaar more.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
^Moonrise Kingdom was awesome...the first return to some decent Wes Anderson, since, well, Royal Tennenbaums. He skipped a few, then landed again with Moonrise. I love Isle of Dogs, too. I can't disagree with that assessment...only that Moonrise Kingdom finally reassured me that he hadn't lost it, then yeah, Isle of Dogs and Grand Budapest. Dude is still in the game, for sure.

I still haven't watched his latest satire on "working for The New Yorker," which is exactly what that is. I will do that, very shortly.

Anyhoo, those of you who have not watched Bad Sport episode 2 on Netflix, about Randy Lanier which is an inarguable 11/10 of world content/entertainment/knowledge/living in humanity, purely objective experience, then you are some sort of communist asshole.

don't read that wiki link I posted about Lanier. Just watch the show. Ignore the rest of that series...who cares. None of that is as interesting as this one, or comparable.

(this thing dragged out some corner memories of "Blue Thunder" racing memorabilia, that you just "acquire" at that age and time, when you might be into such things, not really knowing anything about it--like free Hotwheel cars or whatever, random kid junk--and it's just mindboggling to think about how brilliant this dude was in everything.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Ozarks Season 4, eps1 5/10

Marty just saved his Mexican drug cartel partner's ass by getting the US Military to attack the rival cartel that the partner was at war with.

Marty and his wife was 'asked' by his partner to come to Mexico. (No was not an option.)

The partner recently received word that his rival is toast.
Now the partner's nephew is making demands on Marty in front of partner.

WTF?

Marty just saved his partner's ass and the partner doesnt lift a finger to put his nephew in his place to show gratitude?

meh so far to start the new (and final) season

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
So, I'm 5 episodes into Peacemaker. I wasn't sure early on if it could sustain the stupid funny vibe but it has. I haven't laughed this much at a show in a long time. Definitely worth watching. 8/10

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I watched all of season 1 of Smiling Friends - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12074628/reference

which is a animated comedy in the typical Adult Swim style, written and acted by Australians mostly, which gives it a bit of flavour outside your normal US production.
Think "Aqua Teen Hunger Force", it loses a bit on the absurd, but still interesting.
It was fun.

7/10

Status
Not open for further replies.