NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 905 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Watched the first three episodes of The Legend of Vox Machina. Essentially does for fantasy/RPG animation what Invincible did for superhero animation. The difference is its funnier. Not that it's a comedy but it does have some comedy in it. The wife gave it a try and laughed several times as well. Her conclusion was "It's not worse than Peacemaker." and she's been liking Peacemaker a lot.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Watched the first three episodes of The Legend of Vox Machina. Essentially does for fantasy/RPG animation what Invincible did for superhero animation. The difference is its funnier. Not that it's a comedy but it does have some comedy in it. The wife gave it a try and laughed several times as well. Her conclusion was "It's not worse than Peacemaker." and she's been liking Peacemaker a lot.
thx. will watch when the entire season is out.
hm.. wiki doesnt have a date for the rest of the eps?

so going to add that to the backlog of shows to watch:
Narcos Mexico season 3 (final season)
Ozarks Season 4 (final season)
killing eve season 4 (final season)

and then there's Westworld (unknown date 2022, and maybe final season)

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Amazon dropped the first three last week. Releasing every Friday now. 8 episode in season 1 I think, so 5 weeks until the full season is available.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Aziz Ansari's new special on Netflix is quite good. It's only 30 minutes long and was shot at the comedy cellar in NY to an audience that had no idea he was performing.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Finally got around to watching Squid Game.

First half - 9/10

Second half - 5/10

It just kind of lost steam as it went on and ended kinda weak. The very end I thought was dumb too but I get why they did it.

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
Archive 81 Netflix

7/10 - Never watched anything Dina Shihabi, her voice - or the way she speak - annoyed me to no end. The ending is not even a cliffhanger it is "to be continued".

A nice horror that will keep you watching but don't expect anything groundbreaking, and the ending is a bit weak.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Finally got around to watching Squid Game.

First half - 9/10

Second half - 5/10

It just kind of lost steam as it went on and ended kinda weak. The very end I thought was dumb too but I get why they did it.
I also didn't care for the ending, but the second half has my favorite episode of the show (episode 6, marbles).

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I also didn't care for the ending, but the second half has my favorite episode of the show (episode 6, marbles).
That is pretty much when I thought it started to go downhill. It just kind of slowed to a crawl. The whole marble scene was much longer than it needed to be too. I do like the whole psychology of that one though. Like I can't imagine having to do that lol.

And after the ending, I also don't like how it went down with the main guys game.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
I watched The Eternals, expecting to hate it. I didn't. It's not best-movie-ever quality by far, but in some odd ways I liked it better than a lot of other recent Marvel movies, if for no other reason than the fact that it's just different from the standard origin story.

Reactions: TeeJay1952

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
That is pretty much when I thought it started to go downhill. It just kind of slowed to a crawl. The whole marble scene was much longer than it needed to be too. I do like the whole psychology of that one though. Like I can't imagine having to do that lol.

And after the ending, I also don't like how it went down with the main guys game.

I thought that episode was perfect. It did start to go downhill in the last few episodes - especially the way the high roller guys were portrayed. Too cartoonish. The ending was just ok.

However the whole concept, show and overall execution was so good it's an overall excellent addition to streaming.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I watched We Need to Talk About Cosby on my vacation.

Its good. They do an accurate job covering his whole life including the good, the bad, and the weird, and they never call him a simple monster. Nor do most of their interviewees. The documentary keeps it interesting across all 4 episodes. One nitpick was they showed a small fraction of the Jerry Seinfeld interview where he said he can still laugh at Cosby cuz he could seperate the comedy from the man. LATER in that same interview he said he could not do it any more. They left that part out of the documentary.

My major complaint that is more than a nitpick: Cosby actually had a very large organization devoted entirely to him. It included a lot more than just a team of expensive lawyers. He also had a private security force that did many things in addition to protecting him. They also did background digging on every man and woman who complained about him in his entire life. In some cases they even intimidated witnesses and victims. That was suspiciously absent from this documentary and I think its because they were scared of him. While they were still filming interviews and editing the great Mister Cosby was let out of prison. I suspect they had a lot more material bashing the guy and exposing all his dirty secrets but they didnt wanna be sued. Or killed. So they revamped the whole thing to be less litigious-bait and that included his private security force.

But its a good showcase of the whole man, not just his rapes (some of which were very graphically described by a couple of women).
I give it 9/10

Reactions: stargazr

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Is it me or is it a bit wacky for Netflix to come out with a fuzzy wuzzy comedy drama portraying Sean Payton all cute for a year when he was on hiatus for putting bounties to seriously injure other football players?

We definitely have weird heroes

Reactions: zinfamous

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Station Eleven - HBO - I enjoyed the show. It's based on a pandemic and apocalyptic scenario in the US but completely different than pretty much every other action based interpretation. It's very character driven, and there are just a few characters you really really can bond with, which makes the show great. It ends fairly well, a little too neatly, but again those characters and their stories, some of them are just really really endearing. Girlfriend and I had a little cry at the last episode.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i had a ghastly 23h trip to get here to buenos aires, and watched

several Harry Potter films

and the pretty good Reminiscence - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3272066/

a 2021 re-imagining of your typical noir, hardboiled gumshoe, deadly dame, sam spade and all that stuff, with Hugh Wolverine starring as the private investigator, and Rebecc...a .. Ferguson??? as the dame.

On one hand, this is my absolute favourite genre, and while the plot is solid, the entire thing should have been rewritten, with better dialogue, better direction, and a few much needed minor changes.
On the other, sometimes it's blatantly identical, somtimes it misses the point entirely.

Decent acting by everyone involved, but i feel it could have been much more.

7/10

and i also watched Six Minutes To Midnight - https://m.imdb.com/title/tt5114840/

written by Eddie Izzard and starring Eddie Izzard. he's a good comedian but not an actor with depth.
WW2, nazi teenage girls (yes), and the Bwitish Secwet Sherwice. 6/10 because boring and predictable

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
i had a ghastly 23h trip to get here to buenos aires, and watched

several Harry Potter films

and the pretty good Reminiscence - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3272066/

a 2021 re-imagining of your typical noir, hardboiled gumshoe, deadly dame, sam spade and all that stuff, with Hugh Wolverine starring as the private investigator, and Rebecc...a .. Ferguson??? as the dame.

On one hand, this is my absolute favourite genre, and while the plot is solid, the entire thing should have been rewritten, with better dialogue, better direction, and a few much needed minor changes.
On the other, sometimes it's blatantly identical, somtimes it misses the point entirely.

Decent acting by everyone involved, but i feel it could have been much more.

7/10

and i also watched Six Minutes To Midnight - https://m.imdb.com/title/tt5114840/

written by Eddie Izzard and starring Eddie Izzard. he's a good comedian but not an actor with depth.
WW2, nazi teenage girls (yes), and the Bwitish Secwet Sherwice. 6/10 because boring and predictable

Wait you are in Buenoa Aires again?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
saw the 1st 3 eps.
I liked it.

it's like Drawn Together:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Drawn_Together_characters
Cartoon chars from different genre's living together ala parody of MTV's Real World.

it had lots of sexual innuendo but no cursing.
ie: Vertical smile
Like i told you at the after dinner party, only 3 can fit in her

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Theres a new season of The Orville coming soon. And from the previews it appears Hulu turned it into an action series. The kind of JJ Abrams crap most of us were hoping to avoid.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Started a second season of How To with John Wilson on HBO. Such a great show. It's especially effective for folks who know NYC but it's overall a great storytelling show in a totally non formulaic way. Very unique.

JPS35

Apr 9, 2006
Moonfall - Just released. It is the top contender for the Raspberry of the Year Film. "There are no Kettle Chips thick enough to hold this cheese."

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Vox Machina Eps4-6: 6/10

1st 3 eps were great.
wtf happened to this set???

they're bleeding from every orifice yet they fight as if it's a flesh wound?
meh

and in these 3 eps, they're copying Game of Thrones.
- surrounded by zombies, they lost their healer ala john snow and crew's last stand at the rock.
- Guy with the gun has written names of people he wants to kill on the revolver barrel ala Arya Stark

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Vox Machina Eps4-6: 6/10

1st 3 eps were great.
wtf happened to this set???

they're bleeding from every orifice yet they fight as if it's a flesh wound?
meh

and in these 3 eps, they're copying Game of Thrones.
- surrounded by zombies, they lost their healer ala john snow and crew's last stand at the rock.
- Guy with the gun has written names of people he wants to kill on the revolver barrel ala Arya Stark
I will say that there are reasons for the two items you mention. The background is this show is a stylized recap of a portion of the Critical Role campaign that started airing on the Geek & Sundry YouTube channel in 2015.
1. The player/voice actress for Pike, the cleric, got a role on the Jamie Farrell vehicle Blindspot. That show filmed in New York while the Critical Role crew were all LA-based. She had to leave the Critical role game for months at a time while filming Blindspot. She would occasionally reappear via Skype but D&D via Skype wasn't very reliable then. The "story" for her character's absence was a calling to rebuild temples, which the show is sorta following (with a bit of crisis of faith thrown in).
2. I've read the GoT books but stopped watching at season 5 when the show runners just started making stuff up. Through Book 5 Arya doesn't have a weapon inscribed with her kill list so I assume that's a show construct. The final seasons of GoT started airing about the time Critical Role hit YouTube. Critical Role was an established D&D game for several years before that, it just wasn't broadcast. So it's probably safe to say that Percival's kill list predated any similar appearance in GoT.

Similarly, the animators of the show were faced with a difficult task: how do you animate a tabletop RPG combat wherein the players are "taking damage" and clearly "losing" against a noncorporeal monster (wights, I think)? Was it the best depiction? Probably not, but it wasn't horrible. There will be lots of things like that as the series goes on since it's D&D based. The things with the doors is another. I remember the players for Percival, Scanlon, and Vax actually spent about an hour trying to get through that door and Percival did fall from the window. When you're playing a tabletop RPG and keep rolling 1s and 2s funny things happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.