NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 664 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Deadpool 2 - 9/10? - This movie...I think will divide people. I felt it started out slow because of the storyline, however once it gets going it is awesome and in some cases funnier than the first one. Overall it is everything the first movie is, and more in some cases. This is why I think it will divide people. Some will think it isn't as good, some will think it is better. Myself? I think it holds up to the first one pretty well but doesn't quite surpass it.

DO NOT WALK OUT EARLY...some of the best scenes are as the credits start to roll.

The ending...I almost wish they'd have just left the ending it was heading for. It would have set it apart from everything else and rocketed this movie to the top. Instead though, they did the whole 'time' thing as we all will know they will do for obvious reasons. That being said, because of that the end credit scenes are FUCKING AWESOME.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I'd been on the fence about this, was going to get around to it eventually. Looks like I might sooner rather than later.
Yeah I'd say give it two episodes and see if you like it. I thought it was entertaining but I seem to be a lot more willing to suspend belief than a lot of people (when watching movies). And then you got Simone and Beatrice in those jeans... daddy likey.

I think I'll go with a 6.5/10. Was mostly action packed, but like most movies of this sort, very easy to see the happenings of the entire movie from the jump. The only thing that really saved it for me was some of the comedy, "what are thooooose?", that was a good one that caught me off guard. I imagine lots of people are going to be upset when and if it does not win a ton of awards. Yet it doesn't deserve them.
Anything dealing with race/minorities or LGBTQ stuff is gonna be a darling for awards and ratings, even if it might not be that great. What I've witnessed anyway.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Deadpool 2 - 9/10? - This movie...I think will divide people. I felt it started out slow because of the storyline, however once it gets going it is awesome and in some cases funnier than the first one. Overall it is everything the first movie is, and more in some cases. This is why I think it will divide people. Some will think it isn't as good, some will think it is better. Myself? I think it holds up to the first one pretty well but doesn't quite surpass it.

DO NOT WALK OUT EARLY...some of the best scenes are as the credits start to roll.

The ending...I almost wish they'd have just left the ending it was heading for. It would have set it apart from everything else and rocketed this movie to the top. Instead though, they did the whole 'time' thing as we all will know they will do for obvious reasons. That being said, because of that the end credit scenes are FUCKING AWESOME.
I did not think it was as good at all as the first. It's the classic case of the movie sequel trying to one up the prior movie.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I did not think it was as good at all as the first. It's the classic case of the movie sequel trying to one up the prior movie.

For me, the Xforce mission alone makes the movie. The whole theater was in hysterics during that part. I can definitely see why some people would not think the movie itself was as good. It isn't as even as the first one, but I mean...baby balls.

Aug 11, 2008
For me, the Xforce mission alone makes the movie. The whole theater was in hysterics during that part. I can definitely see why some people would not think the movie itself was as good. It isn't as even as the first one, but I mean...baby balls.
Just saw Deadpool 2. Thoroughly enjoyed it, probably 7 or 8 out of 10. Maybe not quite as good as the first one which I would give a solid 8. Seemed like the humor was a bit forced at times. OTOH, the first one had the element of surprise at the wicked humor, while we may have been expecting too much from the second one.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Just saw Deadpool 2. Thoroughly enjoyed it, probably 7 or 8 out of 10. Maybe not quite as good as the first one which I would give a solid 8. Seemed like the humor was a bit forced at times. OTOH, the first one had the element of surprise at the wicked humor, while we may have been expecting too much from the second one.

That is the thing, the humor was forced in the first one too, it's just we as an audience weren't used to seeing it in superhero movies. That being said, I've watched the first one many times, and while i really liked the 2nd one, I doubt I would watch it more than a few times.

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
I'm watching somthing tonight, not sure yet what though, it better be good .

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Humor was definitely forced in the first Deadpool which was one of the reasons I did not like it that much.

Aug 11, 2008
That is the thing, the humor was forced in the first one too, it's just we as an audience weren't used to seeing it in superhero movies. That being said, I've watched the first one many times, and while i really liked the 2nd one, I doubt I would watch it more than a few times.
I see a lot of movies, and dont really remember a lot of specific scenes, as a rule, but the DMV scene in the first movie where everyone behind the counters is a slow moving sloth is a classic that still gives me a laugh when I think of it.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Deadpool 2 - 9/10? - This movie...I think will divide people. I felt it started out slow because of the storyline

There is nothing slow about this film. If there was a 5 minute period in the whole film that didn't have action or some significant plot-advancing point in, I'd be surprised. The only one I can think of that probably qualifies is:

Deadpool dying after being shot by Cable

---

Anyhoo. I'd give it a similar rating to the first film. If you enjoyed that, you'll enjoy this I'm pretty sure. I will without question get DP2 on disc.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I see a lot of movies, and dont really remember a lot of specific scenes, as a rule, but the DMV scene in the first movie where everyone behind the counters is a slow moving sloth is a classic that still gives me a laugh when I think of it.

Dedpool <> Zootopia though I do love the sloth scene.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I'd have to give Deadpool 2 an 8.5/10. It was absolutely hilarious and I think I liked it better than the first, though I haven't watched the first one in a while. Some people say it tried too hard with some jokes and I guess I can agree, but I had a great time watching it. I think my favorite scene was when they all jumped out of the plane. :D Also my first time at an Alamo Drafthouse. Their green chile burger was pretty dang good, and the Mexican vanilla shake was awesome.

Black Mirror S3E4 - San Junipero - 10/10. I don't know if I have a huge crush on Mackenzie Davis or what, but I feel like it was the best BM episode so far. It completely blew my mind. Certainly nothing like any other BM episode, but man was it so good. I had to watch it again a few days later - knowing what it's all about makes the second viewing that much better.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Blade Runner 2049 5/10

Watched last night and I was quite disappointed. Bleak, in a word. Overly long too.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Gotta say, feel like 'bleak' is the point of the movie
Well then, it succeeded, but is that what you seek in a movie? The best function IMO in SciFi is to imagine the best forward thinking for technology, not the worst. Yeah, some of the most successful has been in the nature of warnings (1984, Brave New World) and you could see this as another in that vein. Those works were far more congruent with the technology of their day than this was with ours. Replicants are pie in the sky.

Last edited:

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
Well then, it succeeded, but is that what you seek in a movie? just sayin'.
Not usually, but going into 2049 after seeing the first one I was kinda expecting it. Didn't watch any other movies for a few days after 2049, too heavy. I liked that about it though, guess it's just a preference thing.

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
Pacific Rim: Uprising

190665R1.jpg

too much talk and not enough giant monsters this time around.

Nov 20, 2009
Well then, it succeeded, but is that what you seek in a movie? The best function IMO in SciFi is to imagine the best forward thinking for technology, not the worst. Yeah, some of the most successful has been in the nature of warnings (1984, Brave New World) and you could see this as another in that vein. Those works were far more congruent with the technology of their day than this was with ours. Replicants are pie in the sky.
I'm not sure it was the worse. We only got a glimpse of the world of tomorrow in the sequel. And keeping in mind the context of the original movie it was bleak, too. So in other words the sequel held onto that aspect. BTW, I do not see the concept of replicants being a pie in the sky. It is a feasible concept but with today's dogma making the reality pretty difficult. Remove the moral., social and ethical barriers and we'd probably have them tomorrow. But the sequel naturally would draw a binary response (love/hate) and I liked it a lot and give it a 9/10. I found the director able in direction that I felt it was Ridley directing when it wasn't. But I also suppose I could say the opposite in terms of bleakness about the sugar-coats romcoms and zootopia style of movies. For instance, Wall-E was a stalker.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Remove the moral., social and ethical barriers and we'd probably have them tomorrow.

Well, theoretically we could have replicants "tomorrow" if we allowed cloning and turned a blind eye/ear to their supplications for freedom and recognition of their humanity. But we aren't that stupid. So, how else are we that close to Blade Runner 2049? The only possible justification for replicants would be that they were 100% unconscious, which is a standard to which we must hold robots, BTW. I dislike harming any life form that may feel pain. I've even wondered if plants can feel pain, but that seems highly unlikely! "The cut worm forgives the plow." - William Blake

Last edited:

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Yeah I'd say give it two episodes and see if you like it. I thought it was entertaining but I seem to be a lot more willing to suspend belief than a lot of people (when watching movies). And then you got Simone and Beatrice in those jeans... daddy likey.

I did actually enjoy it. Not too long, only 8 episodes, and not overly long ones at that. Had some decent twists in it, good story. To me it was mostly the relationships that build and are destroyed when something like this happens. Looks like a possible sequel too.

Cargo 7/10. New Netflix movie, slow paced, good story, decent acting too. Different twist on the whole zombie narrative. I thought it ended as well as it could have, good movie.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Black Panther - 5/10 - It was decent until the son went on a spree out of nowhere. So many issues with the last half of the movie. Not sure how this was such a high seller.

Sep 29, 2004

So , Deadpool one dragged out at the end and Deadpool 2 at the beginning? I thought 1 was awesome but I think they could have rewritten the last 10 to 15 minutes to be better. It was kinda like they had all these actions scenes and had to somehow force the conclusion to the movie. It just felt "off"

Sep 29, 2004
The Avengers > Black Panther but I think the Avengers is like a 6/10. Sorry, it was basically 5 30 minute TV episodes
Referring to the gathering of each gem
with BIG GIANT CGI AND STUFF. Sorry, this is just a shitty plot with great special effects. Nothing earth shattering for concept/writing/originality. Just crap really. Not even sure why I gave it 6/10? I guess it gets the 6 (as opposed to a lower rating) because at 2:40 long I didn't get bored.

Sep 29, 2004
Black Panther - 5/10 - It was decent until the son went on a spree out of nowhere. So many issues with the last half of the movie. Not sure how this was such a high seller.

Umm, first African American super hero movie? I'll be frank. I think many African Americans saw the movie as their first superhero movie only because it was an African American superhero. I'm serious too. Thee were many articles written on the matter.

I'm not being racist by the way.

As a side note, many movies now have Asian people in them simply because China will not allow Hollywood movies in that do not feature atleast one Asian character. I've seen characters that were obviously written in as an afterthought in some movies just so the distributers could get access to China's market. I mean, you could literally remove all of their dialog from the movie and the movie plot would not be impacted AT ALL... except the movie would be slightly shorter and better without it in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.