NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 525 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i did a mind loop from episode vii to that jpg of harrison for saying "if i sign here, my career will continue?", and eventually settled on watching

Witness - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090329/reference

Can you believe this is actually the fist time i see this film?

Anyway, after 30 years i pretty much already knew the plot, between Weird Al's video, various citations in film reviews, and best of videos. Pretty solid direction and pacing, but not groundbreaking in any way, rather, almost tranquil.

Honestly, i would not recommend this. It's not bad, but it hasn't aged well. It's been shot for the big screen, and does not transfer well to a small monitor.

Harrison ford is good but not exceptional; i had the impression he was trying to portray his character the same way he portrayed han solo. or, all his other characters.

today i would vote it 6/10 - it's ok.

next i have to watch the other film with ford i haven't watched, the one where they abduct his wayfu.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
The Intern - 3/10

There were some bright spots during the first part of the movie. The last third of the movie grinds down to a snails space plotwise turning into a lifetime special clone which totally ruined the film. Really disappointed even for a chick flick.

Last edited:

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
images

I loved this movie so much..watched it once on thursday then rewatched it again with my brother.

It had it all going on...just when I thought i'd seen it all in a movie..Sasha Cohen Baron proved me wrong..in a good way.

2 thumbs up.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I watched the first two episodes of Dice over the weekend and they were HILARIOUS. I can't wait to watch the rest. It better get renewed for a second season

I'm shocked the critics are killing it. So far I'm finding it funnier than anything else on TV right now

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
I watched the first two episodes of Dice over the weekend and they were HILARIOUS. I can't wait to watch the rest. It better get renewed for a second season

I'm shocked the critics are killing it. So far I'm finding it funnier than anything else on TV right now

see the Adrien Brody episode yet. OMG that shit was funny..actually all 6 episodes are h ilarious.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
[The Brothers Grimsby]

I loved this movie so much..watched it once on thursday then rewatched it again with my brother.

It had it all going on...just when I thought i'd seen it all in a movie..Sasha Cohen Baron proved me wrong..in a good way.

2 thumbs up.

Wow. I gave up on SBC after The Dictator. Maybe I'll give him another chance...

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Wow. I gave up on SBC after The Dictator. Maybe I'll give him another chance...

I started watching The Dictator but it just didn't keep my attention and I never finished. I do love Borat though.

I didn't know he was in a new movie; I'll definitely have to at least check it out. I'm hoping it's even half as good as Borat...

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I started watching The Dictator but it just didn't keep my attention and I never finished. I do love Borat though.

I didn't know he was in a new movie; I'll definitely have to at least check it out. I'm hoping it's even half as good as Borat...

The Dictator was terrible. It was basically a scripted/acted version of Borat with none of the genuine responses people had in Borat. Borat generated too many lawsuits and SBC was too well known so they couldn't just make more of that. The only good joke was in the trailer. It really was difficult to sit through.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
stan lee cameo:

headerstan.jpg

no, not deadpool.
stan was a dj in a strip club in deadpool.

what movie is this?!

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
11.22.63 - 5/10

Didn't really like this. The acting wasn't bad and the woman who played Sadie I thought was very good but you always knew the story was going to go one of 2 ways and I don't think we were adequate rewarded by the story for waiting around to see. Mercifully this was only 8 episodes. If you don't have anything better to do, it's not bad, just don't expect much.

Bloodline - 7/10

I would have given it an 8 if they hadn't tried to a) cram so much of the plot into the last couple episodes and b) had come to some sort of intermediate resolution. The way it ended felt like the entire story was up in the air and just prepping for season 3.

Also, the story is sort of a rehash of the conflict in the first season, but it's different enough that I don't give them any demerits. And the acting I thought was quite good.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
The Way -- 7/10
Who knew a movie about walking could be so entertaining? Certainly predictable and a little funny that a guy can just decide to hike hundreds of miles without any prep whatsoever, but it was kind of cool to watch the portrayed transformation of his character and the understanding of those around him. Neat stuff. Thought it was a documentary when I added it to my Netflix queue, realized I was wrong as soon as Emilio Estevez's name showed up on screen. Watched anyway, would watch again.

K2: The Siren of the Himalayas -- 10/10
Absolutely fascinating documentary. I watched it twice. Exactly the opposite of The Way, I thought this was an actual movie and not a documentary. Glad it wasn't. I hadn't even heard of K2 before this, but it's totally fascinating. I would love to just GET to the base camp ... I have no desire to ever attempt to climb it or anything, but just seeing it in person has to be exhilarating.

Departures -- 8/10
Been working on this series for a while, finally finished season 2 this past week (s3 isn't available for streaming). It's odd, when I started I couldn't stand Justin (the fun one) and was all in Scott's corner ... appreciating the little details and cultural nuances present in their destination rather than just being totally smashed and goofing off all the time. By the end of the series, I was envious of Justin. I ABSOLUTELY wish I "go with it" as much as he does. But I plan everything to the point of actually looking forward to the end of trips I haven't even taken (it's happening now with upcoming travel to Europe). He just ... doesn't care. That's awesome, I'm really going to try to change my mindset in the future. Anyway, I like watching things about places I'll likely never get to ... it's cool to see stuff that I might overlook even if I were visiting the areas.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
1/10 Joe Dirt 2

Easily the second worst "movie" I have ever seen (only to Battlefield Earth). Joe Dirt 1 was nonsense, but at least the plot had narrative flow like a real movie. Joe Dirt 2 isn't even really a movie, it is more like a collection of famous people in random scenes making fun of other movies (many of them ancient Tom Hanks movies). The plot does worse than makes no sense, you can't even follow it. Most of the dialogue is mumbled and what you can hear makes no sense 99% of the time. The whole thing is supposed to be a play on a the Dickens Christmas Carol, I think, but I don't really know because there is no plot that you can follow. Seriously, I have seen 8th graders make movies with a better narrative flow.

It was a waste of a lot of good talent, and a waste of my time. The only reason it isn't 0/10 is because there were a few basically redneck jokes that I could understand that made me laugh, but they weren't part of the plot and I could have heard everything funny in that movie in the first minute of an hour comedy special. Please for the love of God don't waste your time.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i managed to watch

Total Recall (2012) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1386703/reference

in two sittings.

several thoughts; it wouldn't be a bad film if the original didn't exist, but it's just inferior to it in every single way you can think of.

The preacher scene was so out of line (runtime of, idk, 5 minutes?) i cannot fathom how nobody said anything about it.
The film is way too action and too little sci-fi. I liked the "red herring" of the "two weeks" woman at the checkpoint, but the rest is just a waste. Waste of sets, because they give you so much detail and 1.7 seconds to take it in.
Waste of actors, because Colin Farrel does not fit the role in any conceivable way - he should never be a lead, and don't say In Bruges because Brendan Gleeson does the lead, Farrels follows.

The obligatory highway chase scene was so obligatory, they could have saved the money and just put a sign up saying "obligatory scene here".

The original was a sci-fi film with some action bits, but the key selling points where Arnold's funny personality and the wonderment of the Sci-Fi settings, NOT "wow look at how colin punched that guy, he's soo macho".

If this was a parallel universe with no Total Recall (1990), i would say, watch this, it's a stupid hollywood action flick with forced romance but the story is intriguing; in the real world, i would say "there is nothing in this film you haven't seen before elsewhere, *even* if you haven't watched the original.

6/10 but like, a bad 6/10

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
(500) Days of Summer (2009) 8/10

Pretty good movie, somewhat novel, and it has something that's rather rare: A perfect ending.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
NOT Lost Girl

I have been in Kensie and Tamtam withdrawal, lately. No! At least they rightly ended the show, though, instead of dragging it out (Angel comes to mind). Skarsten has a good role right now, but serious to a fault. I hope Ksenia Solo lands something that can use her impeccable suspenseful and comedic timing to good effect. Turn is fine, but it's like she's wasted, there. Maybe some of the movies she's in will have better roles for her.

A Boy and His Dog (commentary) - 8/10

No actors, so no silly banter. But, a lot of interesting interpersonal bits, about deciding on and working with the sets, how long the project gestated, that Harlen Ellison was actually supposed to write it but got stuck w/ writer's block, how the different people involved help bring it together, and reactions to the movie over the years (like boys watching not even caring about the naked girl, being so fixated on Blood; and then many people never getting what happens to her in the end--I would have not have thought any significant amount of viewers would miss it, myself, even before the ending line).

Candy Stripe Nurses - 4/10

I was in one of those moods. It's actually not a half-bad moral-driven movie, but with tits, and silly action. It has some unintentional metahumor due to being made in and of its own era. I was really expecting an absolutely horrible sexploitation flick, so it kind of disappointed me in reverse :).

Candy - 2/10

HERE WE GO. That's more like it...and, oh, it is awful. Almost battlefield Earth bad, but with fewer redeeming qualities. But, it's got character actors you'll recognize, doing great jobs at playing laughably bad characters, with one-dimensional writing and directing. It even has a Mexican Catholic woman biker gang with specialized weapons. 2 just for the good actors obviously doing their best in what they surely also knew was a very bad movie.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
i managed to watch

Total Recall (2012) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1386703/reference

in two sittings.

several thoughts; it wouldn't be a bad film if the original didn't exist, but it's just inferior to it in every single way you can think of.

The preacher scene was so out of line (runtime of, idk, 5 minutes?) i cannot fathom how nobody said anything about it.
The film is way too action and too little sci-fi. I liked the "red herring" of the "two weeks" woman at the checkpoint, but the rest is just a waste. Waste of sets, because they give you so much detail and 1.7 seconds to take it in.
Waste of actors, because Colin Farrel does not fit the role in any conceivable way - he should never be a lead, and don't say In Bruges because Brendan Gleeson does the lead, Farrels follows.

The obligatory highway chase scene was so obligatory, they could have saved the money and just put a sign up saying "obligatory scene here".

The original was a sci-fi film with some action bits, but the key selling points where Arnold's funny personality and the wonderment of the Sci-Fi settings, NOT "wow look at how colin punched that guy, he's soo macho".

If this was a parallel universe with no Total Recall (1990), i would say, watch this, it's a stupid hollywood action flick with forced romance but the story is intriguing; in the real world, i would say "there is nothing in this film you haven't seen before elsewhere, *even* if you haven't watched the original.

6/10 but like, a bad 6/10

I didn't make it though the entire movie but it felt like an exact re-enactment of the original.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I didn't make it though the entire movie but it felt like an exact re-enactment of the original.

Huh? It doesn't happen on Mars, the fight is against robots, and the procedure is a seedy underground thing as opposed to some mainstream thing advertised to regular joes on budgets too small for a real vacation. No aliens, no plot to restore air, no mutants, etc. It's closer to the original story, but a completely different movie. The three-boob woman doesn't make any sense because she's no longer a Martian mutant.

Last edited:

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
The Cleverman - ???/10 (but looks really good)

This is a 6 episode series on Sundance that seems to be based (loosely?) on aboriginal mythology but set in a modern or possibly future semi-dystopian world where a certain group of beings are considered subhuman.

The cleverman as they explain in the intro is the ruler of the dreaming which is the confluence of past, present and future and inhabited by all manner of strange creatures.

I've only seen the first episode since that's all that's out so far but this could be very good. Rectify started out as a 6 episode series on Sundance too.

Status
Not open for further replies.