NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 40 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
So they are doing a reboot of GI joe already with The Rock and Bruce Willis. :(

I thought it was a sequel? Saw the trailer before Mission Impossible. I actually thought it didn't look that bad. :D

KT

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
I thought it was a sequel? Saw the trailer before Mission Impossible. I actually thought it didn't look that bad. :D

KT

I don know how they would make it a sequel as it seemed more like a reboot then anything.

Especially as it sounds like this was a quote:

Chu and CO. have promised that their sequel, G.I. Joe: Retaliation, will give the franchise a fresh start, with a better cast, better story and most of all, better action than its predecessor.
http://screenrant.com/gi-joe-2-retaliation-trailer-kofi-143250/

And while it does say it will take place after the first one and have the commander with the mask now the problem is him and many others are new cast for the most part.

It does look cheesy but I saw it in the same situation and was kinda surprised Bruce Willis popped in it although hopefully his high cholesterol is not a issue. ;)

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Divorce, Italian Style - 9/10:
Marcello Mastroianni is great in more of a comedic role. He plays Ferdinando, a man who is tired of his wife, and longs to be with his beautiful young cousin, Angela. Divorce is not an option, so he decides to kill her. If he can set her up to commit adultery, he can claim the murder was a crime of passion and defending of his honor; The jail sentence would be quite short.

It's a fun plot and it's really well executed. I haven't seen too many Italian films from this period, but the ones I have seen have been quite good. Well made films with a lot of heart and emotion

The Artist - 9/10:
I finally was able to see this last night. It's a lot more playful and light than I expected. I would have liked a little bit more drama and emotion, since those were some of the best parts of the movie, but as is, I still liked it a lot, as it was a refreshing and original movie.

Dujardin couldn't have been any better, and Bejo was very good too. James Cromwell had a great little role. Looking at the imdb page, George's wife was played by an actress Penelope Ann Miller, who had a role in the 1992 movie Chaplin, interesting.

I mentioned it is a bit light, but it is a lot of fun. Not sure it's the best picture of the year, but there have been plenty of worse movies that have won that title, so I wouldn't argue with this. I think I personally enjoyed Hugo a bit more, it sucked me into the story more, but comparing the two they are pretty even and just a personal preference. I only mention that because both movies are clearly better than any of the other Golden Globe nominees.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
NETFLIX STREAMING UPDATE!

A handful of Frasier episodes were previously unavailable. As of late last night or early this morning every single episode is now available.

Makes me sad I spent all that money on the DVD's (especially when the last two seasons were shot in HD and are now on Bluray.)

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Spy Kids 4 - 5/10 - pretty much the same as all the other spy kids movies, although I don't think I've seen a complete Spy Kids movie before this.

Hanna - 7/10 - awesome action, some cool music, but story seemed pretty much tacked on.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
The Night of the Hunter - 8/10:
Robert Mitchum plays a psychotic and murderous preacher who marries a widow to try and find some money her late husband has hidden.

It's a very creepy premise and a great performance by Mitchum, but I didn't find the movie as frightening or provocative as I expected it to be. It was suspensful but the pacing seemed a bit off.

Lillian Gish, who I was unfamiliar with previously, is great in a small supporting role. IMDB has her credited on films from 1912 up until 1987, very impressive. She died 6 years after that last role, at 99.

OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies - 8/10:
After seeing The Artist this past weekend, I decided to watch this on Netflix. It's by the same director, Michel Hazanavicius, and stars the same two leads, Jean Dujardin and Bérénice Bejo.

This is a spy movie spoof, and I gotta say I found it hilarious. It's along the lines of a Naked Gun; I can't tell if it was actually smarter than a movie like that, or if it was just the French language of it. Either way, I laughed hard and often, as silly as it may have been.

Dujardin is OSS 117, a spy sent to Cairo on a mission to investigate the murder of a fellow spy. A lot of the gags have to deal with Western and Middle Eastern "relations", and how the cocky spy is ignorant of the part of the world he is in. Dujardin, like in The Artist, carries the movie like few actors can. This guy is good

If you're looking for a light comedy, this is it.

Sep 29, 2004
NETFLIX STREAMING UPDATE!

A handful of Frasier episodes were previously unavailable. As of late last night or early this morning every single episode is now available.

Makes me sad I spent all that money on the DVD's (especially when the last two seasons were shot in HD and are now on Bluray.)

Also, I just noticed that C.H.U.D. is on streaming!

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
The Wave - 9/10:

I just loved this movie. A couple of things could be better to give it a 10/10 but it was a great movie for the most part.

I just watched this last night and agree, it was quite well done.

It may or may not surprise you that this film is based on a novel, which in turn is based upon real events. Other than some details in the finale, this was very faithful to the story.

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows – 4/10

Very, very slow. The pacing was killing me, and by the second hour I just wanted it to be over. If they compressed it to a 1.5 hrs movie it would've been much more enjoyable, and would keep the audience more engaged.

The plot is nothing special, and the main villain was dissapointing (I had high hopes after the first movie's ending.)

Also, the action is over-exaggerated for a Sherlock Holmes movie imo. As my friends put it "The stunts in this movie are even more ridiculous than Ghost Protocol."

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows – 4/10

Very, very slow. The pacing was killing me, and by the second hour I just wanted it to be over. If they compressed it to a 1.5 hrs movie it would've been much more enjoyable, and would keep the audience more engaged.

The plot is nothing special, and the main villain was dissapointing (I had high hopes after the first movie's ending.)

Also, the action is over-exaggerated for a Sherlock Holmes movie imo. As my friends put it "The stunts in this movie are even more ridiculous than Ghost Protocol."

Gee thats funny, I didnt think it was slow at all. I thought they sacrificed plot for action, but that just made it feel sped up.

I do agree story was mediocre and not told well anyway. Main villain did not feel too imposing or dangerous, which is essential in these stories.

And action did feel silly, even moreso than than last one. But somehow I still enjoyed the last one.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1583356/
Rammbock: Berlin Undead
6.5/10

Story is all right, Guy is splitting up with his GF as she's leaving him, so he goes to her house to give back the keys (and to beg) Turns out that she's not home, ZOMBIES OHH NO ...
Essentially people barricade themselves into their apartments for much of the movie...
Action is good, acting seems to be decent. Overall, I liked this, but it didn't have the "energy" of other "faster paced" zombie films like 28 days later or Dead Sno, and wasn't really tumultuous enough to compare to the likes of Dawn of the dead or night of the living dead.

Tucker and Dale vs Evil 8/10 lol

Tucker & Dale vs Evil is a hilariously gory, good-spirited horror comedy, doing for killer rednecks what Shaun of the Dead did for zombies. Tucker and Dale are two best friends on vacation at their dilapidated mountain house, who are mistaken for murderous backwoods hillbillies by a group of obnoxious, preppy college kids. When one of the students gets separated from her friends, the boys try to lend a hand, but as the misunderstanding grows, so does the body count.

If you like the 80s camping slasher flicks you should like this movie. It just became available for streaming from netflix.

Nice,
I had added this to my queue when I saw it, but haven't yet watched it ....

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
The Descendants - 6/10: slayer reviewed this earlier in the thread and hated it and while I did not hate it, I did find it lacking in a lot of major ways. I thought Clooney and the older daughter were both quite excellent and the story of those two dealing with the Mother dying was done well, but everything else was pretty much a mess. I did not read much about this film, but did they use a bunch of non-actors for roles? There were some absolutely terrible performances in this movie to the point that they were distracting and laughable (not in a good way). I also found the entire selling property in Hawaii story to be kind of pointless and uninteresting; I get what they were going for, but it lacked any sort of real impact. I did chuckle in a few spots and as I mentioned, some of the parts between Clooney and the kid were good, but this is very far from a great film.

Margaret - 8.5/10: Anna Paquin is a young girl who witnesses a bus accident in NYC, then gets wrapped up in the fallout from it. I liked this movie a lot. Apparently it finished shooting in 2005 with hundreds of hours of footage and has spent years in editing and trying to get released (apparently the director was never satisfied and one of the producers died along the way) and what we ended up with is 2.5 hours of an excellent drama, with some definite editing problems. The cast is impressive (Matt Damon, Allison Janney, Jean Reno, Matthew Broderick, Mark Ruffalo) but unfortunately only a few of these characters are truly developed and with a lesser narrative this would be a massive problem, but since Paquin and her story are both amazing, it becomes more of a minor issue. Paquin is excellent as the confused and conflicted high school student, trying to make sense of what she saw and how she dealt with it and she is the driving force behind everything in the film. If you can forgive the seeming neglect of some of the characters and some of the editing issues, there is a great film and a great performance here.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 9/10: This has to be the most understated spy film ever made and that is likely why I enjoyed it so much. There are two things this film does NOT do 1. make a big spectacle out of anything and 2. hold your hand. I'm glad I saw this yesterday morning when I was fully awake as you really need to pay attention; the film jumps timelines and cities with no placecards, so you need to pick up on certain things to realize where and when you are, but I think that really helped suck me into the film. Another great cast here, but damn, Gary Oldman is the standout. He is so stoic and methodical, I loved his character. I do have to admit the ending was a bit anticlimactic, but I enjoyed everything else so much, it did not really bother me. Beautiful looking movie too; so nicely styled and composed. Certainly not for everyone and I can fully understand the criticisms, but I want to see this again.

A Bridge Too Far - inc./10: I tried to watch this in multiple sittings and I only made it about an hour through. It's a 1977 war film with an astonishing cast, but there were so many characters and it jumped around to all of the different factions, well I think I was just not in the right frame of mind to watch this. I became extremely bored and turned it off about an hour in (it's a three hour film). It did look amazing in Blu-ray. Has anyone here watched hits? Is it worth re-visiting?

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I don know how they would make it a sequel as it seemed more like a reboot then anything.

Especially as it sounds like this was a quote:

http://screenrant.com/gi-joe-2-retaliation-trailer-kofi-143250/

And while it does say it will take place after the first one and have the commander with the mask now the problem is him and many others are new cast for the most part.

It does look cheesy but I saw it in the same situation and was kinda surprised Bruce Willis popped in it although hopefully his high cholesterol is not a issue. ;)

Hmm, had not seen that. Could be. I really liked the unfurling of the Cobra flag on the White House, that was awesome! :D

The Artist - 9/10:
I finally was able to see this last night. It's a lot more playful and light than I expected. I would have liked a little bit more drama and emotion, since those were some of the best parts of the movie, but as is, I still liked it a lot, as it was a refreshing and original movie.

Dujardin couldn't have been any better, and Bejo was very good too. James Cromwell had a great little role. Looking at the imdb page, George's wife was played by an actress Penelope Ann Miller, who had a role in the 1992 movie Chaplin, interesting.

I mentioned it is a bit light, but it is a lot of fun. Not sure it's the best picture of the year, but there have been plenty of worse movies that have won that title, so I wouldn't argue with this. I think I personally enjoyed Hugo a bit more, it sucked me into the story more, but comparing the two they are pretty even and just a personal preference. I only mention that because both movies are clearly better than any of the other Golden Globe nominees.

I'm glad you liked it. It is indeed a very light film and I think that is part of why I like it so much. I'm sure I said it before, but it just put a smile on my face and gave me a fun ride.

The Night of the Hunter - 8/10:
Robert Mitchum plays a psychotic and murderous preacher who marries a widow to try and find some money her late husband has hidden.

It's a very creepy premise and a great performance by Mitchum, but I didn't find the movie as frightening or provocative as I expected it to be. It was suspensful but the pacing seemed a bit off.

Lillian Gish, who I was unfamiliar with previously, is great in a small supporting role. IMDB has her credited on films from 1912 up until 1987, very impressive. She died 6 years after that last role, at 99.

OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies - 8/10:
After seeing The Artist this past weekend, I decided to watch this on Netflix. It's by the same director, Michel Hazanavicius, and stars the same two leads, Jean Dujardin and Bérénice Bejo.

This is a spy movie spoof, and I gotta say I found it hilarious. It's along the lines of a Naked Gun; I can't tell if it was actually smarter than a movie like that, or if it was just the French language of it. Either way, I laughed hard and often, as silly as it may have been.

Dujardin is OSS 117, a spy sent to Cairo on a mission to investigate the murder of a fellow spy. A lot of the gags have to deal with Western and Middle Eastern "relations", and how the cocky spy is ignorant of the part of the world he is in. Dujardin, like in The Artist, carries the movie like few actors can. This guy is good

If you're looking for a light comedy, this is it.

Damn it, Night of the Hunter has been on my shelf for months. I really need to get to that one.

Had not heard of the second film, but I will add it to my list. Thanks man.

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Margaret - 8.5/10: Anna Paquin is a young girl who witnesses a bus accident in NYC, then gets wrapped up in the fallout from it. I liked this movie a lot. Apparently it finished shooting in 2005 with hundreds of hours of footage and has spent years in editing and trying to get released (apparently the director was never satisfied and one of the producers died along the way) and what we ended up with is 2.5 hours of an excellent drama, with some definite editing problems. The cast is impressive (Matt Damon, Allison Janney, Jean Reno, Matthew Broderick, Mark Ruffalo) but unfortunately only a few of these characters are truly developed and with a lesser narrative this would be a massive problem, but since Paquin and her story are both amazing, it becomes more of a minor issue. Paquin is excellent as the confused and conflicted high school student, trying to make sense of what she saw and how she dealt with it and she is the driving force behind everything in the film. If you can forgive the seeming neglect of some of the characters and some of the editing issues, there is a great film and a great performance here.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 9/10: This has to be the most understated spy film ever made and that is likely why I enjoyed it so much. There are two things this film does NOT do 1. make a big spectacle out of anything and 2. hold your hand. I'm glad I saw this yesterday morning when I was fully awake as you really need to pay attention; the film jumps timelines and cities with no placecards, so you need to pick up on certain things to realize where and when you are, but I think that really helped suck me into the film. Another great cast here, but damn, Gary Oldman is the standout. He is so stoic and methodical, I loved his character. I do have to admit the ending was a bit anticlimactic, but I enjoyed everything else so much, it did not really bother me. Beautiful looking movie too; so nicely styled and composed. Certainly not for everyone and I can fully understand the criticisms, but I want to see this again.
KT

I haven't heard much at all about Margaret, other than Pacquin's performance, so it's good to hear more.

And I'm going to be pissed if Tinker Tailor isn't playing anywhere by this weekend...

Night of the Hunter is worth a watch but nothing to rush, at least imo. It's nice and short though, no fluff

weirdichi

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2001
13 Assassins - 9/10
What 300 should've been. Just kick ass on every front.

Life in a Day - 1/10
Someone enlighten me on why people thought this movie was so good. It's a jumbled mesh of random videos that had nothing to do with each other except when given a visual cue of questions on a cardboard sign. Yes, I get to see what the days are like in other countries, but it it's such a messy contortion of clips that it made no sense. What a waste of 2 hours.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I haven't heard much at all about Margaret, other than Pacquin's performance, so it's good to hear more.

And I'm going to be pissed if Tinker Tailor isn't playing anywhere by this weekend...

Night of the Hunter is worth a watch but nothing to rush, at least imo. It's nice and short though, no fluff

Hopefully you can catch TTSS; seems like not many hear have seen it.

Night of the Hunter is mentioned as one of the best movies ever in a lot of places. :eek:

Life in a Day - 1/10
Someone enlighten me on why people thought this movie was so good. It's a jumbled mesh of random videos that had nothing to do with each other except when given a visual cue of questions on a cardboard sign. Yes, I get to see what the days are like in other countries, but it it's such a messy contortion of clips that it made no sense. What a waste of 2 hours.

Huh, was kind of intrigued by this one after hearing someone else talk about it, but your description makes it sound awful. :hmm:

KT

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
A Bridge Too Far - inc./10[/B]: I tried to watch this in multiple sittings and I only made it about an hour through. It's a 1977 war film with an astonishing cast, but there were so many characters and it jumped around to all of the different factions, well I think I was just not in the right frame of mind to watch this. I became extremely bored and turned it off about an hour in (it's a three hour film). It did look amazing in Blu-ray. Has anyone here watched hits? Is it worth re-visiting?

KT

Get past the first hour where they're still talking about planning the operation, then it's all action from there. You only need to keep track of 4 characters: Sean Connery, the other British Guy at Arnhem, Michael Cain of 30 Corp, and the American guy at Njigmagen (you spell it). Other characters aren't as big/important.

It's an amazing looking movie and pretty good in itself given the time it was made. I think it took me at least 5 sittings of watching bits and parts to finally put it all together.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
The Descendants - 6/10: slayer reviewed this earlier in the thread and hated it and while I did not hate it, I did find it lacking in a lot of major ways. I thought Clooney and the older daughter were both quite excellent and the story of those two dealing with the Mother dying was done well, but everything else was pretty much a mess. I did not read much about this film, but did they use a bunch of non-actors for roles? There were some absolutely terrible performances in this movie to the point that they were distracting and laughable (not in a good way). I also found the entire selling property in Hawaii story to be kind of pointless and uninteresting; I get what they were going for, but it lacked any sort of real impact. I did chuckle in a few spots and as I mentioned, some of the parts between Clooney and the kid were good, but this is very far from a great film.
KT

I didn't particularly like Clooney here, or maybe it was the character and story I didn't like. The older daughter was very good though. I just can't comprehend how this is in contention for best picture of the year with so many critics. Maybe I'm not old enough to feel the emotion, but I think that would be a poor excuse.

weirdichi

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2001
Huh, was kind of intrigued by this one after hearing someone else talk about it, but your description makes it sound awful. :hmm:

KT

I'm no movie critic so I can't comment on the technical aspect of it, but it's a mess of youtube clips. I'd rather just spend two hours watching youtube instead of sitting through this. Were there some parts that were interesting and enjoyable? Yes. Was it entertaining? No. There were no central themes except "Film yourself on this exact date and send it in" and answer some questions while doing so. That may be the point of the whole movie, but at least make it engrossing. I don't know why all the critics liked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.