NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 245 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
Showed Single White Female (1992) to my fiancee, kinda the wrong thing to show the missus because there's a lot of manhating but it's got a good climax and she didn't expect what happened to go down.

Wolf of Wall Street (2013): 11/10 if you haven't seen it, make it your goal after school/work to see it.

Nov 7, 2000
Twenty Feet from Stardom - 8.0/10 - Docu I actually really enjoyed. Informative for me, I like a lot of that music and had no idea on the influences.

Drinking Buddies - 6.8/10 - I get what they were trying to do, it was just OK with me. Ending was abrupt, but appropriate. I think maybe I was disappointed they didn't extract more humor? I dunno.

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
Id agree with you. The sad part is the movie has TONS of potential. They just never really got any depth to anything. Its one of those i watched and after went that could have been an amazing movie but the writers and director failed.

Yup, exactly. The premise is a really good one but they didn't take it seriously at all.

drbrock

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2008
Amazing Spiderman 2 6/10

I was just ok. Electro was dumb and never really a threat. Green Goblin was solid though. Probably the best part of the movie. Still liked the first one much more than the new one. There are really too many plotlines in this movie. Many of them I did not even care about. Wish they would have went with the Ultimates Version of Green Goblin.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Amazing Spiderman 2 6/10

I was just ok. Electro was dumb and never really a threat. Green Goblin was solid though. Probably the best part of the movie. Still liked the first one much more than the new one. There are really too many plotlines in this movie. Many of them I did not even care about. Wish they would have went with the Ultimates Version of Green Goblin.

took the nephew this weekend. I fell asleep at least twice during the movie.

I was thinking 6/10, but that might be generous. Very solid meh for me. I never saw the first one of this reboot, now I'm not sure if I will.

I like that this Spiderman is actually the wisecracker that he is supposed to be, but I prefer Maguire as PP and, I think, SPider-man.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Contracted 6/10: Chick has a One Night Stand and picks up a disease. Most of this movie annoyed me, because everyone in it were just stupid or blind. From the Doctor who saw that she was seriously ill with some mystery disease, but had the forethought to tell her not to come into contact with anyone, yet didn't even mention she should go to a Hospital. Then to everyone else and the chick herself who couldn't seem to grasp the seriousness.

I would have given this a 4, but the last few minutes was a surprise to me and revealed the true nature of what the story was.

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 5/10. The story was all over the place and there were too many villains. You'd think they learned something from Spider-Man 3.

Arrow - Season 1 - 7/10. I enjoyed the season though I started growing tired of the romance side stories. I wanted to stream season 2 on Amazon but there's no way I'm paying almost $50.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Saw two movies over the weekend.

Amazing Spider Man 2 - 6/10. Still can't stand the Garfield guy after Tobey as Peter. Stone is weird as the blondie. Still love the scence of Stan Lee in cameo character. Don't care for Electro or the Rhino or the green dude. I also don't think you can have that much speed upload in the airplane 10 years ago. Plus not a lot of action/fight scences.

Capt. America - 8/10. Love Sca Jo, so sexy and all, the neighbor/nurse is not bad looking plus the dark hair SHIELD agent is nice. Nice little twist (Hydra from the last movie) into the plot line. Love the bionic arm dude, so menance (love the dark face mask and eye google) and cold..."I don't know you, you are just my mission". The figh scences between him with the knife vs. Capt. American are nice and when the bad guys try to take out one of the main character from SHIELD is nice.

Edit: Also LOL @ these lines during the shootout above.... "Is there anything in vehicle that are not broken"?......"Yes, the AC is still working fine".

Last edited:

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
So I finally grabbed the original Star Wars trilogy on sale for $30 and watched a New Hope with my 6 year old over the weekend.

It *really* freaking annoyed me. On one hand, Star Wars has never looked better, was absolutely awesome on a 100" projection screen and was the best experience I've had with it. On the other hand, all of Luca's add in shit over the years are obnoxiously obvious and totally detract from the rest of polish of the original film. Where sets were true, models were real, and effects weren't done on a computer the film was fine. When he tried to slap in some stupid and useless set pieces/scenes it just looks totally out of place.

Bleh. It was the first time my daughter got to watch it and she took a major shine to Han Solo so that's cool I guess.

:)

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
So I finally grabbed the original Star Wars trilogy on sale for $30 and watched a New Hope with my 6 year old over the weekend.

It *really* freaking annoyed me. On one hand, Star Wars has never looked better, was absolutely awesome on a 100" projection screen and was the best experience I've had with it. On the other hand, all of Luca's add in shit over the years are obnoxiously obvious and totally detract from the rest of polish of the original film. Where sets were true, models were real, and effects weren't done on a computer the film was fine. When he tried to slap in some stupid and useless set pieces/scenes it just looks totally out of place.

Bleh. It was the first time my daughter got to watch it and she took a major shine to Han Solo so that's cool I guess.

:)

My sons and nephews finished the original trilogy on my projector on Saturday. I enjoyed rewatching them, but holy shit did Lucas's digital additions make them worse.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
obligatory review in the review thread

Godzilla 2014 - 8.75/10

fucking awesome

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Godzilla 2014 6/10
As a huge fan of the rubber suit versions I think I went into this with way too high of expectations. The biggest problem is way too much time is spent on a family that I couldn't give a crap about and not enough time on Godzilla. A Godzilla movie needs to be primarily about Godzilla stomping on shit and fighting and I guess this just didn't have the budget they need for that. When something cool does start happening with Godzilla they cut away back to the family crap again which was pissing me off. Godzilla does look great though when you do see him but it is usually dark. It is an alright movie but you get a better Godzilla movie with a lot more destruction and fighting with one of the old rubber suit movies.

edit
I will say it is way more true to the Japanese versions than the horrible Matthew Broderick one which is why it gets the 6 and not lower.

Last edited:

maziwanka

Lifer
Jul 4, 2000
My sons and nephews finished the original trilogy on my projector on Saturday. I enjoyed rewatching them, but holy shit did Lucas's digital additions make them worse.

that's funny - i also recently rewatched the original trilogy and completely agree with the both of you. do they have versions that have no extra cgi added? it was really out of place

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
Godzilla - 4/10

I kind of alternate between thinking that 4/10 is too harsh, and thinking it's too generous. On the one hand, it's a monster movie, so you get all the trope of "what do you expect, it's not supposed to be great". But it was obviously supposed to be great. That's what all the money on special effects was supposed to do - make it great. And it didn't.

As far as I can tell, the special effects are the only redeeming feature about the whole movie, and I can't say that even this was something exceptional. Just kind of par for the course of what we would expect from an action movie these days. The clichéd wanton destruction, the clichéd closeup shots of the looks of wonder and surprise before something appropriately SFX-ey happens, etc.

The rest of the movie was worse. The acting wasn't too bad, but the plot was a complete shambles, and the music was a mess. Like, as far as the music was concerned the movie could have ended after 10 minutes, because that was the climax of the music, and it just stayed climaxed for the rest of the film. No ups or downs, no kind of emotional subtlety. I don't normally notice things like the music because it's not something you're supposed to notice if it's done well, but this was just jarring. It was like being hit in the eardrums with a sledgehammer whenever the director wanted you to know that something was going to happen.

The story wasn't much better. It's a monster movie, who cares why the monsters are there. The fact of the matter is they are. Yet this movie spent way too long building a backstory for why there was a monster at all, and in the end it didn't even answer any questions. It was a complete waste of about a fifth of the movie, and I felt it was there just to fill in time. The whole thing about Godzilla being a force of nature was clumsily done, the way it introduced the different monsters was really confusing, and I really don't understand why in the middle of San Francisco, conveniently right underneath where the female had her eggs, there would be a gas pipeline with a valve in the convenient place and completely undamaged despite all the debris and destruction literally 3 feet away. That coincidence boggles the mind.

The themes and symbols in the movie were very clumsily done. The only redeeming feature about the movie in this regard was that at least it wasn't in Manhattan. Otherwise you have the same old trope about the American government hiding something from the people, the role of America as the world's natural leaders in everything, etc. etc. The bit at the end when Godzilla retreats into the sea was particularly saddening. Throughout the entire movie it had depicted the monsters' movements as terrifying and unknown, but after the final battle (as it were) Godzilla is suddenly portrayed (through the really unsubtle music and camerawork) as being San Francisco's saviour - even though if you were there on the ground, or even observing the situation from afar, Godzilla could have just as easily destroyed the whole of San Francisco, and nothing the Americans had could have stopped it.

Finally, the science and reality-testing. I don't get how Godzilla is supposed to "speed up" to 33 knots near San Francisco, but it still manages to traverse the entire Pacific Ocean, thousands of nautical miles, in a reasonable amount of time. At the very least it would have taken several days, and taken much longer than the MUTO flying across the same ocean. Not to mention the whole gobbledegook about "absorbing radiation" and that causing previously irradiated areas to become "clean" again. Sorry, but that's not how ionising radiation works. And that person dying by going into "a-fib"? Yeah, right. Tell me more about how you listened to your science advisors - if you even had any.

TL: DR - the directors try their hardest to bludgeon you over the head with, well, everything, but despite that, they still fail to convey a lot of the important stuff.

Don't see it.

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
obligatory review in the review thread

Godzilla 2014 - 8.75/10

fucking awesome

Going tonight and rarely do movies these days in theaters.

Actually in less then two hours, we splurged for 3D and the DBox Chairs I've never tried out at the big mall refurbished theater I've never been in.

Post a bit when get back.

Last edited:

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Godzilla - 4/10

The gas pipeline was a gas tanker truck at least that is what it looked like to me.
You kind of just have to let go for the science, government, and environmental stuff. All the Japanese versions are whako there too. And half the time Godzilla is the savior of Japan even after destroying half the country and the other half he is the villain also after destroying half the country lol. The Japanese versions also usually have a bunch of pointless back story before you get to the monsters but once the monsters show up that becomes the main focus of the movie. The monsters just weren't in this one anywhere near enough.

You are spot on about the music.

I saw it in regular 2d and I don't think 3D would have added anything to it.

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
The gas pipeline was a gas tanker truck at least that is what it looked like to me.
You kind of just have to let go for the science, government, and environmental stuff. All the Japanese versions are whako there too. And half the time Godzilla is the savior of Japan even after destroying half the country and the other half he is the villain also after destroying half the country lol. The Japanese versions also usually have a bunch of pointless back story before you get to the monsters but once the monsters show up that becomes the main focus of the movie. The monsters just weren't in this one anywhere near enough.

You are spot on about the music.

I saw it in regular 2d and I don't think 3D would have added anything to it.

Yeah, I get that you should have willing suspension of disbelief, but even if you go to a $5 diner you can still complain about the burgers being undercooked or the ketchup being separated.

I don't know if I should just give up watching mainstream action movies, or whether I'm being overly critical. I had the same reaction to the second Captain America movie as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.