NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 202 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Europa Report 10/10

A trip to one of Jupiter's moons, produced with input from NASA to make the most plausible and realistic space journey. This is a character driven film which may make it 'dry' for those needing giant robots and explosions, but if you are interested in space and want to take a look at what a journey further than humans ever went before might look like - don't miss this.

I started watching this the other night but didn't get very far--is it all framed around video diary clips? I could really get into that....

Last edited:

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
PG-13 these days is more like R of 20 years ago.

Only watching R movies really doesn't mean anything. R today just means they cuss a lot...and maybe more nuditiy :p

I emphatically disagree. Just compare Alien (1979), Robocop, or the original Total Tecall (from the '80s) to any PG-13 movie today!

The Total Recall remake = :( :( :(

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
Just finished watching Pans Labyrinth. Hmm.. I don't understand the story? WTF?
Let's pretend she did hand over the baby to the goat headed man, then what? Some magical portal open? wut? I don't get it, so the whole story is about some lame fairy tale?
Can someone explain, I'm confused. :eek:

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Lone Survivor - 8.5/10

+It's a must-see on the big screen.
+Will have you cheering when
the Apaches arrive.
+Is one of the most stunning depictions of the limits of human endurance ever put on screen. You will cringe!
+Opening training footage.
+Soundtrack. Sounds a lot like Explosions in the Sky. But it's not.
+Afghanistan = New Mexico? It's prettier state than I thought!

-It's predictable.
-It's Hollywood glorifying the military industrial complex.
-One should park politics at the box office.
-Is it the most gripping story ever told? The best acted? Most original? No.
-Odd Pacing:
Opens fine with training footage...gets slow during character development...speeds up during mission...slows down after forest rescue...speeds up at the end during final attack.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Not really. It has some cool body horror, and some creepy moments, but it's more a commentary on the media and media consumption. I like it a lot and it's probably tied with The Fly and The Brood as my favourite Cronenberg film.

KT

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
Not really. It has some cool body horror, and some creepy moments, but it's more a commentary on the media and media consumption. I like it a lot and it's probably tied with The Fly and The Brood as my favourite Cronenberg film.

KT
Ohh! That's disappointing. I'm still going to watch it though.

But wow lol.
the-brood5.png

^
The brood lmao :awe:

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
This film good? 'Videodrome'

I saw a scene when I was a kid. It traumatized me.
Basically, a guy points his finger at another guy and turns his stomach into something that looks like applesauce while he's alive and screaming.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale - 7/10 - Netflix streaming

If you want to get into the holiday spirit this slow-paced horror tale is probably not the best choice, but it was entertaining and had some good dark humor.

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
Wow, videodrome was quite good. Pretty well done horror/scifi movie for an 80's!
I give it 8.5/10. Plenty of wtf moments. I recommend to everyone who likes horror genre type movies. ;)

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Wow, videodrome was quite good. Pretty well done horror/scifi movie for an 80's!
I give it 8.5/10. Plenty of wtf moments. I recommend to everyone who likes horror genre type movies. ;)

Ah cool, glad you liked it. Some great WTF moments and Jimmy Woods absolutely kills it in this movie. Definitely one of my favourites.

KT

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Olympus Has Fallen: 7/10 -
Mike, The President, and the main bad guy are the only ones left alive. Bad guy shoots president, Mike kills bad guy, woohoo go 'Merica. What would have been better is if the bad guy shoots Mike, the President gets free and starts rumbling with the bad guy hand to hand, all over the place ending with at the front door where the President is pummeling the guy and then says "Now get out of my house" and upper cuts the guy so hard he goes flying out the blown out front door of the White House.

lol That would have been epic. Only could maybe be better if in this universe Harrison Ford was the previous President, and he happened to be visiting the White House during the invasion, and they end up tag teaming the Korean dude. Maybe somehow work in that Danny Glover line from Lethal Weapon as they are securing the bad guy: "Get that sh1t off my lawn!"

Elysium 6/10

Kinda dumb. Sci Fi world doesnt make sense.
Why make people build drones when they have drones doing everything else. Why not just have some med bays on earth, which would stop the immigration problem. The CEO puts data in his head that doesnt actually prevent any copying or any real encryption, just gives Matt Daemon a reason to sacrifice himself. In fact, why exactly does the CEO guy need to actually be on earth in the first place? And the exo suit is dumb...just shoot the guy. Theres all sorts of other problems, but whatever. The only kinda good part was the villain, but aside from just being crazy he doesnt make any sense either.

Last edited:

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
Skyfall - 4/10

The Bonds series attempts a gigantic step in the direction of Batman and trips over it's own feet.

Much musing is done about whether old-style field agents are still necessary in this technological age. I assure you they are, and Bond (to no surprise) agrees: "You still need some one to pull the trigger". The obsession over Daniel Craig's age and physical condition made me grin a bit. He looks no older now than Sean Connery did in his first Bond film and owns a physique that most of us can only dream about, but according to many in this film he's frighteningly over the hill.

The surprising appearance of an old "character", accompanied by the original bond music, was cool enough for me to add a full point to my rating. Most of the other stuff, including the villain (a riff on the Joker) and the current soundtrack, was superior in the Batman trilogy.

They're going to have to do better than this.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
I started watching this the other night but didn't get very far--is it all framed around video diary clips? I could really get into that....

It does rely heavily on 'found' footage, but it's not shaky-cam Blair Witch, and later the movie focuses more on the crew and their mission as it unfolds. I'm not a fan of 'found' footage, but this isn't a 'The Bay' quality of film, but much better.

----

The Call (Halle Berry) 6.5/10

Halle Berry is a 911 operator who get's connected to a girl being kidnapped and locked in a trunk. Through circumstances the girl has a prepaid generic phone that takes forever to trace, and it is an interesting film strangely reminiscent of Panic Room with Jodie Foster.

At least for the first two thirds of the film. Then it is Silence of the Lambs. Halle is Jodie Foster (coincidence?), and then they throw in a good measure of a Saw/revenge film. Not bad overall, but great at first.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Awesome. Glad to see more people watching, and liking, Videodrome. It's a classic horror film and actually still very relevant today.

KT

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
Now I'm interested in watching Videodrome. I watched The Brood a year or two ago and thought it was alright. Perhaps it was the dated feel of the movie that kept me from enjoying it more.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Videodrome is not as dated The Brood; it's also a different type of movie. If you can, watch the Criterion Blu, it looks fantastic.

KT

Feb 16, 2005
It does rely heavily on 'found' footage, but it's not shaky-cam Blair Witch, and later the movie focuses more on the crew and their mission as it unfolds. I'm not a fan of 'found' footage, but this isn't a 'The Bay' quality of film, but much better.

----

The Call (Halle Berry) 6.5/10

Halle Berry is a 911 operator who get's connected to a girl being kidnapped and locked in a trunk. Through circumstances the girl has a prepaid generic phone that takes forever to trace, and it is an interesting film strangely reminiscent of Panic Room with Jodie Foster.

At least for the first two thirds of the film. Then it is Silence of the Lambs. Halle is Jodie Foster (coincidence?), and then they throw in a good measure of a Saw/revenge film. Not bad overall, but great at first.

I agree, this movie could have done really well if it stayed away from the last 15 - 20 mins of it's plot. I liked where it was going, but it just fell apart IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.