NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 192 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I probably should, but I doubt I ever will.

You should, and that's coming from someone that doesn't even like to read. I read it back in eighth grade because rather than having the teacher assign yet another book, she let us choose one. I had never heard of Ender's Game before, but it had a spaceship on the cover, so it couldn't be too bad, right? :p (Yes, that is really why 13-year-old me chose it.)

'Rush' on the other hand was based on the actual 1976 Formula One World Championship and Niki Lauda and James Hunt were real people (Niki Lauda is still alive), the danger was real, the story was real and the movie was pretty true to life and very true to the '76 F1 season.

The events are similar, but while watching the BBC documentary Hunt vs. Lauda, I noticed that the two weren't nearly as caustic toward each other in real life as they were in the movie. Also, while watching the documentary, I noticed that the Ferrari and McLaren F1 managers from that time still don't seem to like each other much. :p

Overall, it's not a big deal, and I don't think it hurts the film at all. I have a feeling that unless the GoT director (Alan Taylor) does an incredible job with Thor 2, Rush will probably be my favorite movie of the year.

It doesn't really read like a story about kids. It reads like a story about people who just so happen to be in that age category (not much childhood drama going on). If you just can't stand the kids part, the rest of the Ender's Series is primarily about adults (excepting Ender's Shadow which runs parallel to Ender's Game).

To note, Ender's Shadow is the first part of the Shadow series, which from what I read, ends up focusing more on Peter, not the Ender series.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Louie [9/10]: This shit is pretty god damn refreshing. There's no other show like it on earth currently. It's like part-social commentary, part-comedy. I had no idea the show would have such melancholy tone.

It's the stuff everyone could enjoy. It's not just funny. If anything it's not even funny. It's just a very slow paced show about an average guy living with his life in NYC.

So refreshing.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I just finished season 2 of Louie and am getting ready to dig into season 3. Easily one of the best shows on TV.

KT

Weird, I just started watching Louie too.

I skipped season 1 because I heard it's not as good or it hasn't matured yet. Would you recommend it?

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
There are episodes that are almost pure drama and they are just as amazing as all of the pure comedy episodes. Great, great show.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Weird, I just started watching Louie too.

I skipped season 1 because I heard it's not as good or it hasn't matured yet. Would you recommend it?

I really liked it. Maybe a bit more inconsistent, but still very good.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Not sure, I am watching it on the free on demand from my cable company.

KT

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
There are episodes that are almost pure drama and they are just as amazing as all of the pure comedy episodes. Great, great show.

KT

I'm sorry daddy... I'm so sorry daddy.. *sob* *cry* I'm sorry.

:D

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I'm sorry daddy... I'm so sorry daddy.. *sob* *cry* I'm sorry.

:D

Haha, yep. :D I actually think his kids are good in the show too. I hate most kids on TV and in movies, but here I think they are decent.

KT

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Haha, yep. :D I actually think his kids are good in the show too. I hate most kids on TV and in movies, but here I think they are decent.

KT

That's his actual kids!?? Holy crap.

From his bits, he's quite protective of his kids. I thought they were child actors.

[edit]

No they're not.

He insists, though, that the two children in his sitcom are not based on his kids. “They are very different from my daughters. My daughters are really mature for their age. They are very sweet people. Very considerate. Very fun to be with and very tom. That’s not funny.
“So I kind of created a couple of characters that are a little crankier and a little more insistent.”

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
That's his actual kids!?? Holy crap.

From his bits, he's quite protective of his kids. I thought they were child actors.

[edit]

No they're not.

Oh whoops, I thought they were. My bad, I could have sworn I heard him in an interview somewhere saying they were his kids. My bad.

KT

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
it's all good my homie.

Pfft my wife doesn't like Louie. She likes grandma humor like the typical sitcoms... made me change back to Park & Rec.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
going to see Gravity this weekend--we have a few Atmos theaters around, but can't find a 2D + Atmos showing. :mad: Will have to suck it up and deal with the 3D horseshit.

anyhoo:

Louie: 9/10 I've been slowly catching up to this show as it is released on Netflix. I thought season 1 was very good, season 2 was great, but season 3....just goddamn brilliant. It's honest, funny and much better at being real + funny that Seinfeld was (yes, we all know that Seinfeld--the show--was never "real").

David Lynch! are you shitting me?
I think 3D really does help for a movie like Gravity. Otherwise, it might be hard to tell if a piece of floating space debris is large and far away or small and close-up.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

KT

yeah, those kids are awesome. They manage to be cute and far from annoying, which you never find on TV.

His wife changes each season, too. :D

AViking

Platinum Member
Sep 12, 2013
Primer 8/10

A movie made by a couple guys on a $7,000 budget. It's a time travel movie that really needs to be watched more than once. Good fun and lots to talk about and figure out if you're the scientific type and like a good mind bender.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
進撃の巨人 Shingeki no Kyojin Attack on Titan 8/10

Pretty good dystopia anime where humans are besieged by giants. I still don't know why the title in English is Attack on Titan when in Japanese it's more Attacking Giants, as in the giants are the ones attacking.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
this is the end - 9/10 - i thought it was hilarious and better than i expected for sure. it was a really stupid movie, but it was just a stupid-funny type of movie and i thought all of the cast did a great job. the pineapple express 2 trailer was great!

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Star Trek Into Darkness 6.5/10

What a let down after the first film which I thought was great. The beginning sequence was just so over-the-top and ridiculous, that the rest of the movie suffered.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
regardless of everyone else's opinion, i really enjoyed World War Z. 7/10
(i didn't read the books)

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011

Pretty good dystopia anime where humans are besieged by giants. I still don't know why the title in English is Attack on Titan when in Japanese it's more Attacking Giants, as in the giants are the ones attacking.

So I tried this simply because of how I saw few people rave about it then you.

I don't watch anime so much and I really don't have tolerance for juvenile stuff- ESPECIALLY the ones that try too hard to be serious with extra backstory that just ends up falling flat (trend set by Evangelion).

For anime series, I really like Eva, Bebop, and Chanploo. These 3 were pretty good. I tried lots of others afterward and it's pretty awful and predictable.

So this Titan anime... I saw the pilot. I was disappointed to see that it's a typical shonen. If it's gonna be a shonen, at least be interesting like Guran Lagaan, but it wasn't- just overtly dramatic and underwhelming.

I skimped through the second episode. I'm saddened to say that I won't be watching it further.

Anyone know any good quality anime nowadays?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

I've complained about this anime in other threads, but the biggest problem is how slow the story moves along. At one point in the anime, I didn't want to wait a week to see what happened, so I switched to reading the manga. Honestly, so little happens that if I were to spoil every major plot point beyond where the anime stopped, it might be 3-4 bullet points. ...and I believe there are over 20 chapters (note: it's a monthly serial, so the chapters are around 45 pages long) beyond where the anime stopped.

Ultimately, for me, it doesn't matter how good a story is if you can't tell it well. Pacing is a huge part of telling a story properly, and Shingeki no Kyojin does not do a good job at that. I have the same complaint about Breaking Bad. For almost every season, the first half was incredibly slow, but the latter half was really good. In my opinion, that is also not a good thing.

Oh, and I always considered "no" to be more of a word describing ownership, but according to my Japanese dictionary, it's a participle that actually can stand for quite a few different words including "on".

Anyone know any good quality anime nowadays?

Hmm... based on what you listed, looks like you really enjoy overrated anime. :p (Yes, while I like Cowboy Bebop, I do consider it somewhat overrated.) Ultimately, what I'm trying to say is that "recommend me an anime" isn't much different than saying "recommend me a movie." Anime is full of genres and sub-genres, which make it somewhat difficult. For example, out of the summer season, my two favorite were probably Gin no Saji and Servant x Service. The prior is a little slow to start and tends to focus quite a little too much on melodrama for my tastes, but I thought it got good after a few episodes. The latter is just a bit silly, but I've been missing a good slice of life anime after finishing fun shows like Working!! and Soredemo Machi wa Mawatte Iru.

I've started watching a few new fall anime, and so far the only one that I've enjoyed is Ace of the Diamond. It actually reminds me a bit of a really good slice of life anime from a few years ago, Cross Game. The first episode of that anime... :'(.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I'm just glad you didn't cite tryhard garbage like that goth girl anime (found it: ergo proxy) or that stupid juvenile series that has girls with invisible arms in their back.

Typically, it's really hard for me to get into anime SERIES because most of them are stereotypical.

I do however LOVE full-feature anime FILMS like Ghost in the Shell, entire Ghibli, The Girl Who Leapt through Time (love coming of age stuff), etc.

Films are single-serving, mature, and avoid shitty canned stories.

Your recommendations all look like sappy teen dramas. They all even look the same. Thanks though. :)

Last edited:

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Planet Earth [10/10]: I'm so glad this documentary happened. No other show captures the beauty of our Earth so eloquently. Attenborough is pure sex. This should be a time capsule.

Life [9.5/10]: Also an amazing addition. I wish other nature documentaries other than these two were as interesting or entertainingly composed. Sadly they fall behind quite a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.