NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 174 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Sex Drive was a huge surprise for me. I could not believe how much I enjoyed it. I actually bought it on Blu-ray after seeing it the first time.

Back in the day I really liked Private School, but I think it was mainly just for one girl in it. :hmm:

KT

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Sex Drive was a huge surprise for me. I could not believe how much I enjoyed it. I actually bought it on Blu-ray after seeing it the first time.

It was for me too! Even more surprising is where I heard about the movie: MySpace. Back when it came out in theaters, the studio had a huge promotion on MySpace (it must have been cheap :p) where you could watch the first ten minutes for free. I don't know why I even went to MySpace that day, but I figured that a sneak peek at a movie with "sex" in the title couldn't hurt. ;) After almost dying from the donut suit scene in the mall, I knew I had to see the movie.

I think the only other decent and recent raunchy comedy that I can think of is Superbad. Although, I almost want to segment the two as Sex Drive is more like American Pie as they're both teen sex comedies, and Superbad is more like a raunchier Ferris Bueler's Day Off as they're both more of a teen hijinks movie.

Back in the day I really liked Private School, but I think it was mainly just for one girl in it.

Hmm I don't think that I've seen that one. It's older than I am, so that might be why! :eek:

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
I can't remember if it was Evil Dead or Evil Dead 2 that had someone chop off their hand and the severed hand chased them around, but that gives you an idea of the silliness. I'm pretty sure that was the sequel though, but it's hard for me to separate them because they both start off the exact same way.

Yes that would be part 2

Evil Dead 2 Dead by Dawn 10/10
I don't care how many times I see this movie it is always fun. The laughing scene were Ash just looses it kills me every time lol. Just have to make it through the first 15 mins of horrible acting and dialog.

sushiwarrior

Mar 17, 2010
2001: A Space Odyssey. 10/10. The most amazing achievement in cinema I think I will ever see. Not necessarily my favorite movie, but absolutely the most breathtaking I have ever seen - and it was made almost 50 years ago.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
2001: A Space Odyssey. 10/10. The most amazing achievement in cinema I think I will ever see. Not necessarily my favorite movie, but absolutely the most breathtaking I have ever seen - and it was made almost 50 years ago.

Indeed. :thumbsup: My favourite movie of all time.

KT

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I almost forgot that I finished a season of a series recently...

Arrow: Season 1 - 7.5/10: I didn't really go into this show expecting much. Green Arrow has never really been a favorite DC hero of mine... probably just because of lack of exposure. If I had to guess, that's probably because any possible media suitor never saw much use in Green Arrow given the prevalence of the similar yet different DC hero, Batman. Anyway, I think the show benefits from a decent cast overall. I doubt the cast would win any acting awards, but they get the job done. One thing that kind of took me off guard was when I realized that the main character (Oliver Queen played by Stephen Amell) was doing some of his own stunts. A quick Google search on the subject revealed that he does do most of his own stunts excluding any that are deemed too risky (insurance-wise) or there hasn't been enough preparation. I also thought the season had a few episodes that weren't nearly as interesting; however, some of the better ones really make up for it. Also, it was really nice to see Manu Bennett as
Slade Wilson
since Spartacus had only recently ended. Crixus lives! :awe:

Season two starts in October, and the trailer that they showed at Comic-Con looked pretty good. Summer Glau has a role in the show, and they're introducing Black Canary.

On the topic of comic book TV shows, I was watching Comic-Con coverage this weekend, and during an interview with Kevin Fiege (head of Marvel Studios), he seemed to express hesitance in the past over creating a TV show. That kind of surprised me that Marvel didn't suspect a good TV show to be doable when DC has had a good amount of hits in the past: Wonder Woman, Lois and Clark, Smallville, etc. There were of course a few failed attempts like The Flash (I actually liked that show). When it comes to Marvel, the only show that I could think of was the old Lou Ferrigno Hulk. Although, it looks like that might change as they showed the whole first episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. at Comic-Con, and the response was very positive.

Feb 10, 2000
The Conjuring - Instant Classic.

Sure it borrows concepts from other horror films but what doesn't? And the difference here is that it's done so well throughout that any similarities to other films is excused. And the greatest part? Unlike many recent horror movies that show promise early on this one manages to avoid jumping off a cliff at some point.
Great film.

I saw this on Saturday. I love horror movies and greatly enjoyed James Wan's previous film, Insidious. I may not be the fairest audience in that I see just about every new horror movie that is not absolutely hammered by the critics, but to me this felt like a fairly generic rehash of territory that I've seen ploughed again and again, and fairly recently. In terms of this kind of movie, I greatly preferred Insidious and Sinister in recent years, but also liked The Possession better than The Conjuring. I found myself looking at my watch a lot during The Conjuring.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001

maybe i gotta give it another shot but man i was bored as fuck during this movie.

sushiwarrior

Mar 17, 2010
maybe i gotta give it another shot but man i was bored as fuck during this movie.

I absolutely agree that it can be extremely banal. It's what, only 30% dialogue maybe? What captivated me was the music and the visuals, but yes the first time I tried to watch it I fell asleep.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001

Personally I think 2001 did not age well at all. It may have been great for its time but today it's pretty much a snoozefest.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
It wasn't supposed to. It was meant with the intent of serious gore/horror.

I had the chance to sneak peek this over the weekend:

Europa Report - 7/10 - Let me start by saying, that contrary to the way the trailers come off, this is NOT a monster movie. It is straight up sci-fi that has a very real edge to it. It should please all the "omg that doesn't happen in space" people.

For those who don't know, it's basically the story of a private company funding a trip to Jupiter's moon Europa where they think they have found proof of water under the ice. They feel that sending humans rather than probes will get them more conclusive data about if there is life there since humans can adjust to situations.

At first it can be a bit confusing because it is mostly after the events told through "found" footage (which is really just delayed transmissions), but not always told in order of events. There is a one point where they go backwards in time (or at least that's how it seemed) after they had already landed on the moon, to an event that killed off one of the crew in the main ship orbiting the moon. I was scratching my head on that.

I noticed the overall reviews of this movie seem to be mediocre so far and I'm not really sure why. I compared much of what happens in this film to Apollo 13, only probably not as good. It basically is a bunch of astronauts trying to explore and all the bad things that happen to them while doing it.

That's about all I can say w/o giving too much away. I recommend it for anyone craving some sci-fi. It isn't spectacular, but it's pretty good.

Nice!
I was wanting to see that one, so this is an encouraging review.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I saw this on Saturday. I love horror movies and greatly enjoyed James Wan's previous film, Insidious. I may not be the fairest audience in that I see just about every new horror movie that is not absolutely hammered by the critics, but to me this felt like a fairly generic rehash of territory that I've seen ploughed again and again, and fairly recently. In terms of this kind of movie, I greatly preferred Insidious and Sinister in recent years, but also liked The Possession better than The Conjuring. I found myself looking at my watch a lot during The Conjuring.

agreed 100%, and yeah, I thought Insidious was better

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006

2001 is my all time favorite movie. Its emotional impact still brings me to tears at every viewing, even though I've seen it many times.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Django Unchained - 5.5/10 -- While no Tarrantino film is going to be really bad or uninteresting or not have some gem set pieces within it, I did not think much of this film.

That said, Christopher Waltz, DiCaprio, and Samuel L. were their usual excellent selves -- especially Leonardo. I would have rated this higher but I had much higher expectations from Quentin.

One small part really tickled me, though. When the subtitles had Broomhilda saying, in argot, "I got" intead of "I have something something" . . . in German, they actually had her use the Bavarian dialect "I hab" (pronounced "E hapt") instead of the standard German "Ich habe!"

That classy little bit of multilingual verisimilitude got a chuckle from me. ;)

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Django Unchained - 5.5/10 -- While no Tarrantino film is going to be really bad or uninteresting or not have some gem set pieces within it, I did not think much of this film.

That said, Christopher Waltz, DiCaprio, and Samuel L. were their usual excellent selves -- especially Leonardo. I would have rated this higher but I had much higher expectations from Quentin.

One small part really tickled me, though. When the subtitles had Broomhilda saying, in argot, "I got" intead of "I have something something" . . . in German, they actually had her use the Bavarian dialect "I hab" (pronounced "E hapt") instead of the standard German "Ich habe!"

Wait, so what pissed you off so much that it fell to 5.5; you said nothing but good things, except to say "you didn't think much" of it?

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011

I was meh about Django when I saw it.

Looking back after the dust has settled, it's really a mediocre film at best. I have totally forgotten about it and have zero desire to watch it again.

It's a shadow of its former self as a Tarantino film, especially when compared to Inglorious Basterds.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I was meh about Django when I saw it.

Looking back after the dust has settled, it's really a mediocre film at best. I have totally forgotten about it and have zero desire to watch it again.

It's a shadow of its former self as a Tarantino film, especially when compared to Inglorious Basterds.

Funny - Django is 8.5/10 for me but IB is 2/10. There was zero memorable about IB to me. Might have to give it another shot

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
oz the great and powerful - 5/5

i REALLY liked this movie. just got around to finally watching it after picking it up at redbox. i really did not know exactly what it was about (prequel to wiz of oz) and just thought it was really well done. the visuals were amazing and the only thing i wish is that i watched it in 3d. but unfortunately redbox does not rent 3d movies and i wouldn't have purchased this beforehand. but who knows maybe i will try to find the 3d version and watch it again.

xeledon20005

Feb 5, 2013
I'm watching To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S as well. I didn't list it because it's a Spring 2013 anime. :p

I actually had a harder time getting through the first Railgun series because of the very heavy shoujo-ai element (lesbian overtones for anyone not "down with the lingo"). It doesn't really add anything to the plot, and rather than being amusing in a silly way, it ends up being creepy. However, they seemed to have toned down quite a bit throughout S, and I'm really glad that they've added in more Touma. My favorite parts of Railgun have always been his run-ins with Mikasa.

Unfortunately, I haven't finished To Aru Majutsu no Index yet. :( I started watching it a long time ago, but I got so bored after the fight with sword-girl that I turned it off. I started watching it again after I finished the first Railgun series; I was able to make it past sword-girl and creepy-possessed Index, but I just haven't gotten around to finishing it yet. It would be nice as there have been a few references in Railgun that I don't understand. :p

The Second Season of Index is better then the first, but the last few episodes of the first season really are just great. For 2nd season of Railgun really like the way Misaka clones act. IE
nguio5.png

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Personally I think 2001 did not age well at all. It may have been great for its time but today it's pretty much a snoozefest.

This

I watch movies new and old but with how little real acting there is in this movie, it was extremely boring for me.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999

Interesting fact on that: Andy Behrens is a Fantasy Sports analyst on Yahoo!Sports, a graduate of University of Iowa, a huge Bears fan and the writer of Sex Drive. His columns are some of the best to read on Yahoo! fantasy focus.

:D

mcurphy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2003

Back in the day I really liked Private School, but I think it was mainly just for one girl in it. :hmm:

KT

I really liked this movie too! Seth Green was awesome. Some great humor and laughs. I was surprised at how good this movie was, and I had never even heard of it until it showed up on Netflix.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
When The Last Sword Is Drawn - it's on Netflix, and I think it's a Japanese version of The Last Samurai. Subtitled, but I liked it. I'd say about a 7/10.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
The Big Lebowski 7/10: I couldn't finish it the first time about 5 years ago. I gave it a go again since it's got a HUGE cult following. I ended up liking There Will Be Blood far more second time around. Maybe this would change my mind. It's really mildly funny at best. I do appreciate the idiosyncrasies of the characters and how absurd some parts are. But I just ended up being alright at best. I can tell this is the kind of movie that has a high replayability- like Office Space or Dumb & Dumber. It's the kind that focuses on hilarious dialogue.

I LOVE other Coen brothers' movies- No Country for Old Man is a genius piece of work. And I totally get O Brother Where Art Thou. But Coen's attempt at humor this time around wasn't anything marvelous.

Mmmm.. this makes me want to watch Office Space. I can quote that movie all day long. And O Brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.