Linux problem here is my error message and motherboard info.

muttley

Jun 2, 2001
Booting 'Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-3)'

root (hd0,0)
Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type x83
kernal/vmlinuz-2.4.18-3 ro root=/dev/hda2
[Linuz-bzImage, setup=0x1400, size=0xff8b0]

Error 28: Selected Item cannot fit into memory

press any key to continue
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know what the message is trying to tell me

I have the Ausu NForce 222 board

This is Red Hat 7.3

If I put in a pci video card the error message is the same. (ATI rage XL pci 8 meg)

With the pci video card I can get the video screen to test at the end of loading Red Hat 7.3 with the integrated video I can't.

In another motherboard I own there are settings for extended memory but on this motherboard board, none.

My easy solution is to traded for another motherboard however I need to learn about linux also

I'll post in some other forums in case one isn't frequented by someone with the answer. And Asus.

MereMortal

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2000
I would try using LILO instead of GRUB. You may also need to get NVidia drivers before your onboard video works.

I think this comes down to a problem of your BIOS not correctly reading the amount of lower memory.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Try RH 8
When do you get this error? Is it during installation when it tries to boot off of cd like I think or at some other point?

Have you tried using the nVidia drivers for their nForce chipsets?

muttley

Jun 2, 2001
after the install the test the video comes up.
Then you press next and it shuts down and restarts for the first time and before anything happens except the screen that says after 7 seconds the version will start then the error message occures.

Also I will try LILO.
And there appears to be no video updates just updates for 2 other things.

muttley

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey
When do you get this error? Is it during installation when it tries to boot off of cd like I think or at some other point?

if its during initial installation, have the cd's you are using ever done a successful install? if not, make a new set and be sure to do check the md5sum of your .iso before burning the cd's

many initial installation problems are due to bad .iso or bad burn onto your cdr

ISO FAQ

muttley

Jun 2, 2001
I don't know where to go for 8

I hae ummm Debian 8 I think but I can't get it to burn on my cd/rw too large?? busted? Smaller files record fine 100 megs. Bummer ... Fujifilm is one brand and another was a circuit city generic but I have burned other iso in the past after learning the correct ISO button to suggest the one at the bottom not at the top.

muttley

muttley

Jun 2, 2001
FoBoT
I have installed version 7.2 and 7.3 on another K7S5A motherboard and have had to problem.

muttley

Poof

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2000
Originally posted by: muttley
mandrake I ment not debian.

Debian.... Ha! Now THAT is the "advanced" Linux.... LOL :p

I'll echo the others about GRUB. After having been burnt in the past by other boot managers and I wasn't sure what the heck GRUB would be doing, I insisted on using LiLO for my installs. Definitely.

Getting X configured correctly is the bane of the install, so I always wait until after the install is done to go back and configure X - just in case. I'm running RH 7.3 on an old 4MB video card (LOL) but it works at 1024 x 768 on my 19" monitor so I ain't complaining. ;)

IcemanJer

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2001
few things you need to do:
1. since you're getting Error 28, you should use LILO and not GRUB.
2. you need to boot into Linux runlevel 3 (which means you won't launch X. The default installation with RH 7.3 and RH 8.0 doesn't have the nForce system drivers. And even though the integrated vid card is a GeForce 2 MX as anaconda autodetected, the GeForce 2 MX drivers that came with RH won't work for nForce. To get into runlevel=3 in GRUB, you need to append '3' onto the kernel parameters, and boot with it. It will get you to a command line prompt where you should log in as root to install the proper nforce video and system drivers downloaded from nVidia. If you have them on CD-ROM you will also have to mount your cd drive.

More info at here.

Btw, why is this thread in "Distributed Computing"?

Poof

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2000
Originally posted by: IcemanJer

Btw, why is this thread in "Distributed Computing"?

Because muttley is a member of TA's DC projects and the assumption is that once this box is online and functioning correctly, it will be producing WUs for the TeAm. ;)

IcemanJer

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Poof
Because muttley is a member of TA's DC projects and the assumption is that once this box is online and functioning correctly, it will be producing WUs for the TeAm. ;)
Ooooooh... sweeet :)
best of luck to you, muttley!

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: IcemanJer
Originally posted by: Poof
Ooooooh... sweeet :)
best of luck to you, muttley!

We do our best to take care of our own ;)