Linux on PS3

Cl1ckm3

Jan 30, 2008
was thinkn bout installing one for fun...since all i do with my pc is browse the web mostly, might even replace it with this if its decent.

so i know yellow dog is officially supported, what does that mean to the user exactly?

i'm familiar with Ubuntu, but which Distro is the best?
i dont see the point in useing a distro with alot of software if its unusable, mostly want to browse web and do video/photo stuff perhaps

also since rsx is locked out, does the OS interface graphical enhancements work?
what about beryl...i'm guess beryl is out but thought i'd ask.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I've been using the Ubuntu distrobution. Works fine. No, the "fancy" UI enhacements of the OS do not work.

Oil

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2005
Since the PS3 already has a built in web browser, the only real reason I see to use Linux on it is for ROMs or video.

But to answer your question, either Yellow Dog or Ubuntu will be fine. Go with Ubuntu though because you are familiar with it

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
I've heard somebody has been able to hack into the RSX, maybe you should google for that. Personally, I was going to put ubuntu onto my ps3 as yellow dog is pretty buggy. I've heard yellow dog is fast though. Tell us how it goes!

Sadaiyappan

Golden Member
Nov 29, 2007
I beleive yellow dog has support for the cell processors so it runs faster. But Ubuntu is the best linux distro for home users. If I was you I would put yellow dog on my ps3 and ubuntu on my pc..

erwos

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2005
I didn't even think of using my PS3 as an emulator box via Linux. Anyone know the best ones which are working well? My quick Googling is showing SNES9X, FCE Ultra, and MAME working - anything else? A fair few seem to use x86 assembly code, which would cause issues on the PS3, which uses the PPC instruction set.

Cl1ckm3

Jan 30, 2008
ok, new question...if i recall, the Cell cpu is 64bit only right? so i would need the x64 version of linux?

out of curiosity, would a USB DVD burner work from the PS3? i was wondering if its possible to burn DVD's from linux on it.
if so, it could make a decent computer replacement...sorta

DarkThinker

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2007
NO the architecture is RISC and hence what you need is a PowerPC Linux variant.

Personally, I use Fedora 8 ppc on my PS3, if your unexperienced enough with Linux, there are plenty of guides online to help you with installing Fedora 8 on your PS3.

And yes, If I can connect Flash drives to it, there is no reason why you can't a USB DVD burner to it, and it would be an excellent computer replacement TBH not just a decent replacement. Sure you can't do any fancy graphics with it (as long as Sony wants to keep us from it, please see petition in sig for more info), but you can have a very decent productivity system out of a PS3, you can do office, connect to printers....etc Everything that a GNU/Linux operating system allows you to.

Cl1ckm3

Jan 30, 2008
i read RSX is expected to be supported in yellow dog at some point.

would be kinda cool to be rid of this large PC case, the ps3 is the size and look i've always wanted from a computer. not sure i'd buy a usb dvd till i know for sure it works however.

Sadaiyappan

Golden Member
Nov 29, 2007
if they add RSX support for yellow dog then I will definately install linux on my ps3.. I haven't done it yet because I don't see the point when I have a new laptop..

DarkThinker

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2007
Originally posted by: Cl1ckm3
i read RSX is expected to be supported in yellow dog at some point.

would be kinda cool to be rid of this large PC case, the ps3 is the size and look i've always wanted from a computer. not sure i'd buy a usb dvd till i know for sure it works however.

It's not up to terrasoft to add it....Sony runs OtherOS on a hypervisor that blocks the software from accessing specific parts of the hardware system / subsystem. Sony doesn't want to allow it. They are afraid that Linux users would install Linux games on it rather than purchase games for the PS3 or simple games from the PSN store. TBH the only game that I want on my PS3 under Linux is FlightGear and I am desperate for it. But will Sony ever listen to people (they never do anyways)

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: DarkThinker
Sony doesn't want to allow it.

Yup, probably the only reason that we are getting to put Linux on it is because Sony can call it a computer rather than a game console to dodge some EU taxes.

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
Originally posted by: erwos
I didn't even think of using my PS3 as an emulator box via Linux. Anyone know the best ones which are working well? My quick Googling is showing SNES9X, FCE Ultra, and MAME working - anything else? A fair few seem to use x86 assembly code, which would cause issues on the PS3, which uses the PPC instruction set.

It's a pretty slow on linux. I think someone said the meagre RAM was the problem, though I am not sure I remember correctly. I wouldn't bother unless you just want to play around with it to learn some more about linux etc or have a really old computer.