Linux on a 2200G? Maybe some solutions here.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I had heard that Linux Kernel 4.19 was out, or nearly so, and that that kernel would provide support for AMD's new-ish Raven Ridge APUs.

So I tried the newest Manjaro distro, the KDE edition. Supposed to be a rolling distro, and newest bits.

Made a USB flash drive, couldn't get it to boot past text mode. Apparently, doesn't support the Vega iGPU yet, or something along those lines? (Guessing here.)

So, I downloaded Linux Mint 19 v2 Cinnamon 64-bit, put that overtop on the same flash drive, and installed it.

It booted live, I installed, rebooted, couldn't get HDMI audio, updated, then installed "ukuu" PPA, and installed it.

I used ukuu to get and install the newest 4.19 -RC4 kernel, and rebooted.

Everything seemed much the same, the video was working, and then I went to the audio control panel, and with internet radio playing in Firefox (after disabling Flash Player), I switched the audio device to HDMI/DP-generic, and voila, I had sound! Finally!

I had tried using Mint 19 in the past, and it worked for video and internet, but I previously couldn't get the HDMI audio to work properly. It looks like kernel 4.19 is a winner!

Just a short guide. There's a guide I followed on the internet to installing the ukuu PPA.

Edit: Maybe working (2019-01-16)? See post #12 for more info.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fixel Algorithms

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Well the 4.19 kernel is just an RC one and and the current stable Manjaro ISOs don't have it yet. You will have to try the development releases or M-A and build the desktop.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Sadly, I let the PC go to monitor sleep, then I woke it back up a few hours later, having left it on streaming radio. It was still playing, but around five minutes after I logged back in, and was browsing AT forums, it hard-froze. First, the mouse froze, then maybe 20-30 seconds later, the streaming radio stopped.

I tried C-A-D, didn't work.

Tried hitting the power button, HDD light blinked once or twice, but it didn't shut down.

So I hit RESET then POWER, and then shut it down, then powered it back up. Still works, not sure what was going on.

HOWEVER, I did smell something VERY HOT ELECTRONICS SMELLING, and I'm not sure what that was. I shut down my two mining boxes, and my other main box, and then eventually, this one.

I'm not sure what was smelling, but it was in this room, fairly close to me, and this 2200G was overclocked in BIOS slightly, but I never had any issues in Windows 10 with it.

I really wonder if this is a power-management glitch, with Mint, or the Ubuntu-compatible kernel series.

My Gigabyte Brix J1900 quad-core Bay Trail suffered much the same kind of bug, it would boot, run, but let it monitor sleep, and run for a few hours or days, then it would lock up hard.

It mostly fixed it, disabling C-states in BIOS, but then, it was unable to ramp up to the faster clock speeds. I hope that I don't have the same issue with the Raven Ridge APUs.

Reactions: Justinbaileyman

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
I think this is a bug with sleep mode in linux right now with the newer APU's cause I am experiencing the same issues on my current HP laptop with an A12 APU. This is why I dont use sleep mode in Linux. For what ever reason it causes hard lock ups when trying to go from sleep to waking desktop. Once I disabled sleep and disabled all screen saver fetures I dont seem to have any kind of locking up issues any longer. I also seemed to notice a burning or melting plastic smell when I had that issue as well. Thought I was going crazy and just smelling things because my cpu and laptop were cool to the touch.But now that you say you were smelling it to its got me a tad bit worried and puzzled as to what it could be??

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, I don't know what clocks I'm running (left UEFI at stock), but I disabled "Global C-States", and I left it running, playing internet radio, and woke it back up successfully a day later, and started using it, and listened some more, and it hasn't crashed yet.

So, tentatively (I'll leave it running), but it seems like you need to disable C-States in UEFI / BIOS, on the Ryzen 3 2200G / AM4 boards, in order to get Linux Mint 19 (Cinnamon 64-bit) stable.

That said, it's very usable, and very peppy, with an SSD.

Edit: DARN. It crashed, after maybe 5-10 minutes of usage, after waking it up.

Maybe it's not the C-States, maybe it's actually the video drivers? HDMI sound driver? Something is unfortunately, causing a fairly hard-crash, though, the sound continues to play, until the buffer is up. But the GUI / screen / mouse locks up immediately.

Last edited:

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Well, I don't know what clocks I'm running (left UEFI at stock), but I disabled "Global C-States", and I left it running, playing internet radio, and woke it back up successfully a day later, and started using it, and listened some more, and it hasn't crashed yet.

So, tentatively (I'll leave it running), but it seems like you need to disable C-States in UEFI / BIOS, on the Ryzen 3 2200G / AM4 boards, in order to get Linux Mint 19 (Cinnamon 64-bit) stable.

That said, it's very usable, and very peppy, with an SSD.

Edit: DARN. It crashed, after maybe 5-10 minutes of usage, after waking it up.

Maybe it's not the C-States, maybe it's actually the video drivers? HDMI sound driver? Something is unfortunately, causing a fairly hard-crash, though, the sound continues to play, until the buffer is up. But the GUI / screen / mouse locks up immediately.
Which kernel are you using?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
It may be the motherboard. It was an "Open Box" special from Newegg, for a few bucks off. I thought that it was OK, initially, but I've had freezes and problems in Windows 10 as well on that rig, eventually, so maybe it's not the Linux kernel version.

I've got Mint 19 64-bit (?) on an Acer CloudBook, runs beautifully, compared to 18.3. Sleep works, it doesn't freeze and lock up after extended runtimes, nor get hot in sleep mode.

Reactions: ericlp

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Yeah, I just bought a 2200g... gonna set it up in the living room for a game/media server. Was going to run linux, but... maybe I'll just run win 10. Till linux can get a more stable over the years. For some reason I didn't even check to think that it couldn't run linux, oh well. With all the cheap win10 keys floating around, I'll probably try my luck.

Yeah, I'd never buy a motherboard or ram open boxed. too risky... bad enough if you gotta rma something new, and spend a few hours removing it and putting it all back together again. Amazon will refund or send out a new one. If it's locking up in windows as well, it's probably something hardware related. You stated you had a burning smell, did you ever figure that out? Hmmm...

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Ok, this is thanks to my friend, whom I gave a 2200G to, and he built a rig, and he runs Linux Mint as his daily-driver.

Installing Mint 19.1 Cinnamon 64-bit onto a 2200G:

Make a Mint 19.1 Cinnamon 64-bit LiveUSB, using Rufus 3.3-p on Windows, or using some sort of tool on Linux.

Boot it, and at the menu, hit "e" to edit the kernel boot parameters, and add "nomodeset" to the end. Otherwise, you just get a black screen.

You will be in "Software Rendering Mode".

I tried editing '/etc/defaults/grub' and the LINUX_COMMAND_LINE_DEFAULT and tried adding "NOMODESET" here, but it didn't seem to propagate to the installed system.

Anyways, install Mint to the internal HDD/SSD.

When it boots (this made much easier by having it make a dual-boot, if you already have a Windows SSD. I did, although I put the Linux bootloader on a separate SSD), select "Advanced" then the boot option with "(recovery mode)". In Recovery Mode, select the first option "Resume Normal Boot". You will be in normal mode, but with Software Rendering.

I used this guide to install UKUU.
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2017/02/ukuu-install-latest-kernels-ubuntu-linux-mint/

Then I installed Kernel 4.20.0, and rebooted, and voila! Video and HDMI audio too, something that I haven't had in a long time in Linux, using an AMD APU. (Need to test out this kernel on my FM1 systems too.)

I've been variously informed that Mint 19.1 may still crash with the 2200G, and it may be down to the fact that the newest Mint distros no longer use a swap partition, and supposedly, creating one and enabling SWAP will prevent these crashes. (Don't know if they are OOM or other types of reasons for crashing.)

Also, been told that "MX Linux" will directly boot on a 2200G rig, as a LiveUSB and otherwise, without "fiddling", because they use newer kernels right off the bat. HTH!

Edit: Well, IT FROZE. The UI/graphics driver froze, the Skype window froze, BUT I COULD KEEP TALKING, and I COULD HEAR THE OTHER PARTY.

So, it looks like bugs in the iGPU driver, at this point, primarily. The system is NOT "hard-locked".

Last edited:

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Ok, this is thanks to my friend, whom I gave a 2200G to, and he built a rig, and he runs Linux Mint as his daily-driver.

Installing Mint 19.1 Cinnamon 64-bit onto a 2200G:

Make a Mint 19.1 Cinnamon 64-bit LiveUSB, using Rufus 3.3-p on Windows, or using some sort of tool on Linux.

Boot it, and at the menu, hit "e" to edit the kernel boot parameters, and add "nomodeset" to the end. Otherwise, you just get a black screen.

You will be in "Software Rendering Mode".

I tried editing '/etc/defaults/grub' and the LINUX_COMMAND_LINE_DEFAULT and tried adding "NOMODESET" here, but it didn't seem to propagate to the installed system.

Anyways, install Mint to the internal HDD/SSD.

When it boots (this made much easier by having it make a dual-boot, if you already have a Windows SSD. I did, although I put the Linux bootloader on a separate SSD), select "Advanced" then the boot option with "(recovery mode)". In Recovery Mode, select the first option "Resume Normal Boot". You will be in normal mode, but with Software Rendering.

I used this guide to install UKUU.
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2017/02/ukuu-install-latest-kernels-ubuntu-linux-mint/

Then I installed Kernel 4.20.0, and rebooted, and voila! Video and HDMI audio too, something that I haven't had in a long time in Linux, using an AMD APU. (Need to test out this kernel on my FM1 systems too.)

I've been variously informed that Mint 19.1 may still crash with the 2200G, and it may be down to the fact that the newest Mint distros no longer use a swap partition, and supposedly, creating one and enabling SWAP will prevent these crashes. (Don't know if they are OOM or other types of reasons for crashing.)

Also, been told that "MX Linux" will directly boot on a 2200G rig, as a LiveUSB and otherwise, without "fiddling", because they use newer kernels right off the bat. HTH!

Edit: Well, IT FROZE. The UI/graphics driver froze, the Skype window froze, BUT I COULD KEEP TALKING, and I COULD HEAR THE OTHER PARTY.

So, it looks like bugs in the iGPU driver, at this point, primarily. The system is NOT "hard-locked".
Well I would use MX Linux instead of Mint, or maybe Manjaro.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Yeah, I put together a new 2200G system... I just got done, upgrading the cooler to a deepcool 12 dollar one .... Seems it's doing a bang up job keeping the temps down to 55C on both cpu/gpu @ full load, as before it was getting a bit scary in the mid high 80's. If you gonna DC on a 2200G I'd strongly not stick with the stock cooler.

Anyway, I've pretty much checked everywhere and there is no native drive yet from AMD for linux ... so... I found a key on ebay for windows (caugh) It was ultra cheap... so I spent my whole 3 bucks, so far so good... if for some reason it gets trashed --- hopefully linux will be more stable.

https://itsfoss.com/kernel-4-20-release/

If I were serious about running a flavor of linux for the 2200G/2400G I would try to find a flavor that is using 4.2.

Or roll your own

https://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/compiling-linux-kernel-26.html

If anyone wants my old cooler! send me a PM

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Yeah, I put together a new 2200G system... I just got done, upgrading the cooler to a deepcool 12 dollar one .... Seems it's doing a bang up job keeping the temps down to 55C on both cpu/gpu @ full load, as before it was getting a bit scary in the mid high 80's. If you gonna DC on a 2200G I'd strongly not stick with the stock cooler.

Anyway, I've pretty much checked everywhere and there is no native drive yet from AMD for linux ... so... I found a key on ebay for windows (caugh) It was ultra cheap... so I spent my whole 3 bucks, so far so good... if for some reason it gets trashed --- hopefully linux will be more stable.

https://itsfoss.com/kernel-4-20-release/

If I were serious about running a flavor of linux for the 2200G/2400G I would try to find a flavor that is using 4.2.

Or roll your own

https://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/compiling-linux-kernel-26.html

If anyone wants my old cooler! send me a PM
The latest kernels should have the drivers already in them.

Reactions: prtskg

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
All distros use the same "Linux" kernel, however all distros make slight changes to it in order make the kernel work best for them, however these changes will almost always get uploaded back to the top where Linus will merge them himself. So all use the Linux kernel, however they all have a few different lines of code in them to make them work best for that distro. It is also worth noting that distros will ship with the version of the kernel that they see fit for each version. Some distros choose a newer kernel then others. The main pro of a new kernel are improvements in driver's and hardware compatibility. The con is a loss in stability as all new code has bugs in it. So you trade features for stability. This is why distros known for being more stable will usually always ship an older kernel then the more risky distros. To find what kernel you are running enter:

uname -r

This will show you what you are running in the version of Ubuntu you have on your computer currently. Hope you enjoy!

Last edited: