Linux Mint 13 "Maya" released

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Thanks. Downloading the Cinnamon desktop now. I'm not really interested in running it, but am interested in checking it out :^)

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
I was already running the RC so the update is pretty painless for me. I have tried a bunch of distros over the past few years, but Mint is the first one that has me seriously considering running Linux as my full time OS. I keep looking sideways at my Macbook Pro wondering if it has a future for me anymore.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
So far I'm not digging Cinnamon. I've only played around in the live environment, but it seems to have many of the same restrictions Gnome3 has regarding customization. I right click the task bar, and nothing happens, no offer to let me add something cool. I'm sure it can be hacked around, but I like to have decent, obvious functionality OOTB. So far I've tried Mint12, Mint13, Gnome3 on Debian, and some kind of Gnome3 on Trisquel. They all lack the ability to customize.

Currently downloading the MATE desktop for Mint, and I'll give that a try. I suspect I'll like that pretty well since it's virtually Gnome2, but how healthy is the project long term? I haven't seen a reason to switch from Xfce yet...

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Have you looked at https://extensions.gnome.org? Lots of extensions are there. They even made gnome shell into a tiling window manager.

Some useful stuff there, and I like that they have a good addon ecosystem, but it seems like a lot of that should be built in. It'll be interesting to see how they're maintained over time.

I just did a quick run through of MATE, and as expected, it's a nice desktop. Exactly what I want in a de. If it weren't for Xfce, I think I'd use MATE.

mcveigh

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2000
anyone have issues installing? I downloaded the 32bit mate iso image. burned it to a usb stick and the install keeps crashing right after it checks if I have enough space, internet, etc.

mcveigh

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2000
I haven't checked the hash yet, But I found some others with the same and similar problems.
I'm thinking maybe a different ati/amd video driver is being used. My card is an old x300.
I downloaded mint 12 and 11 again. I'll play aroungd with installing them at work tomorrow.
the live version of 13 ran fine for me, usually if there is an Xorg problem it would show up there.

mcveigh

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2000
I ended up going back to mint 11.
everything works.

I need to stop upgrading all the time :(

mcveigh

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2000
I think the are ending support for it later this year. :(My old thinkpad T43 still runs fine but newer releases like some horsepower for eyecandy

cdr

Sep 1, 2010
www.heatware.com
I'm on Mint 13 Cinnamon and it's beautiful. Nice and snappy plus pretty much all the features I want in a UI. Switched from Ubuntu after I couldn't stand Unity any more.