Linux ./configure Error

potissimus

Oct 10, 2002
Hello everyone. Lately, I've tried to install Qtella 5.4 from tar.gz files. I read the README and INSTALL, which told me to type "./configure", then "make", then "make install". I can't seem to get past the first step. When I try to type "./configure", I receive the following error:

loading cache ./config.cache
checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... configure: error: newly created file is older than distributed files!
Check your system clock

After that, the process stops. I'm using RedHat 8.0 and am using root. I have no idea what this error is and can't seem to find anything telling how to fix this. Any Ideas?

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Originally posted by: potissimus
Hello everyone. Lately, I've tried to install Qtella 5.4 from tar.gz files. I read the README and INSTALL, which told me to type "./configure", then "make", then "make install". I can't seem to get past the first step. When I try to type "./configure", I receive the following error:

checking whether build environment is sane... configure: error: newly created file is older than distributed files!
Check your system clock

After that, the process stops. I'm using RedHat 8.0 and am using root. I have no idea what this error is and can't seem to find anything telling how to fix this. Any Ideas?
Did you check your system clock? Type 'date' at the command prompt and see if it returns the correct value. Could be wrong, but its worth checking :)

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
Yes, it sounds like the date on the extract files is in the future. Check 'ls -l' and see what their dates are. You can update them to the current time easily with 'find -exec touch \{\} \;'

potissimus

Oct 10, 2002
haha :) Both those worked. Boy do I feel dumb, lol :eek: However, these advancements do lead me to another question. When I try to do a "./configure" I now get the following error:
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... yes
checking for working aclocal... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... found
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking for c++... c++
checking whether the C++ compiler (c++ ) works... yes
checking whether the C++ compiler (c++ ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C++... yes
checking whether c++ accepts -g... yes
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for Qt moc...
Qt's moc not found! If you have installed Qt in an
unusual place, please use the "--with-qt-moc=" option

I tried using ./configure --with-qt-moc=, but I don't know what else I'm supposed to put. I mean, I can't find the file anywhere on my system. Any ideas on this one? (Please don't let this one be in front of my face as well :) )

cleverhandle

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2001
Could be that you're missing a library - I have no idea what QT-moc is, since I don't follow KDE. You might try "--with-qt-moc=/usr" - RH installs everything to /usr, and the package may expect it in /opt/kde, which was probably more traditional in the past.

potissimus

Oct 10, 2002
Nope :( Still a no-go. Same error. I can't seem to find the file at all. Any other ideas? In the meantime I'll probably just install the RPM, but it's really bugging me that this isn't working...especially since I like to play around with C++.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: potissimus
Nope :( Still a no-go. Same error. I can't seem to find the file at all. Any other ideas? In the meantime I'll probably just install the RPM, but it's really bugging me that this isn't working...especially since I like to play around with C++.

Use rpm to figure out if you have QT installed. Also, go to /usr/lib and see ifyou have qt there and find out which version/what the dir is called.

potissimus

Oct 10, 2002
Well, I I found a folder called qt-3.0.5 in /usr/lib, but can't find a moc anywhere in that folder. Also, I can't install the RPM as it has some dependencies. These are:
libDCOP-gcc2.96.so.4
libkdecore-gcc2.96.co.4
libkdefx-gcc2.96.so.4
libkdesu-gcc2.96.so.4
libkdeui-gcc2.96.so.4
libkio-gcc2.96.so.4
libvorbisfile.so.0

I've been able to find some of these, but not all of them. What should I do now?

cleverhandle

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2001
Hmm... that doesn't look promising. The required RPM's are specifying an older version (2.96) of GCC than the one RH8 is built with (3.?). Looks like the Qtella RPM was built either for a different distro or an earlier version. If you have those files installed, you could try using the "--nodeps" flag to rpm, but the binaries probably won't be functional. So you'll probably need to figure out exactly what you need to do to compile the package from sources. Since most packages are moving towards GCC 3.x functionality now (if they're not already there), you may want to check out the CVS code. I would try to find a Qtella mailing list - you'll get much better advice there than here.

potissimus

Oct 10, 2002
Alright, I'll try the mailing list. Thanks for all those who tried to help me though. Thanks to you guys, I now know more stuff about Linux than I thought I'd never know :) So, in a roundabout way, its good that this happened. Thanks again.