linux boinc can't connect to localhost

Philippart

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2006
I'm running opensuse 11 and it had boinc running for over a year now. 2 days ago I replaced my gpu with a boinc capable card. Everything went fine until I installed the latest ati driver.

Since then boinc can't connect to localhost anymore. I tried reinstalling boinc, but no luck...

What can I do? This is my main linux cruncher, I hope to get it running again quickly

PS: please give clear instructions, I'm an absolute linux noob.
Could it be the wrong system date and time that is causing the trouble? Will replacing the old card solve it?

somethingsketchy

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2008
You said you install the latest ATI driver...have you attempted at uninstall this driver and see if BOINC runs again? Maybe reinstalling the GPU driver will make it work

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
From the Advanced menu in BOINC, click "Select computer...". Leave everything in the dialog blank and click OK. Does it come up then?

If that doesn't work, at a command prompt, enter "sudo /etc/init.d/boinc-client start". It will ask you for your root password; enter it. If it reports any errors, post them here. If not, try the thing I suggested in BOINC again.

One more thing: What version of BOINC do you have installed? You really need 6.10.58 to use an ATI card properly.

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I've seen this off and on with ubuntu too.

This works for me:

1) open a terminal window
2) cd to your BOINC directory (I run the installation script in my home directory so my BOINC folder is /home/mark/BOINC)
3) start boinc: ./boinc (this will run boinc w/o the GUI interface)
4) open another terminal window and cd to BOINC directory
5) start boincmgr: ./boincmgr (this will start the GUI interface)

It's kind of cumbersome but it works for me.

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Here's another option (longterm solution).

Say you want to manage your boinc projects on your linux box from another machine on your local network.

On the linux box:

1) stop boinc and open a terminal window.
2) cd to BOINC directory
3) gedit ./gui_rpc_auth.cfg (this file contains the password for remote "control" of boinc)
4) the default password is insanely long so delete it and change it to something easy to remember.
5) save the file and close gedit
6) find out the ip address of this machine by typing/running ifconfig
7) write down the ip address and consider changing you router settings to fixed ip addresses. Otherwise, the next time your reboot the machine it may grab a different ip address.
8) start boinc with this command: ./boinc --allow_remote_gui_rpc
9) go to another computer and start the boinc gui
10) go to the "advanced" menu and choose "select computer.."
11) type in ip address and password for your linux box and now you should the boinc tasks/projects on the remote linux box.

12) Important (took me a while to figure this out): to go back to your local machine, go the advanced menu and "select computer", then type in localhost and the local password should pop-up automatically.